Age and beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Russell

You will sail more on an older boat

Well .. maybe that's not quite correct. Let's try this: you will sail more on a boat that isn't in hock to the bank. Would you rather be working on an old boat to bring her up to par, or working in an office to pay off a new boat you never see? I think that's the question most sailors face.

P

Paul Michaelis

What is older?

My boat is approaching 26 years old and has never sailed better. Many years ago some learned soul predicted that plastic boats would last forever, not withstanding the effects of osmotic blistering. Since my boat has not developed blisters and other artifacts of old age; I feel fortunate. Her sailing attributes are as good as the first day of launching and when properly primed for the new season looks new. Why purchase a new boat?

J

Jack McKechnie

old boat or new one

Older boats are better. The lines are better while the newer models all kinda resemble today'd cars (hard to tell them apart) and there seem to be a whole lot more of 60's and 70's boats around than 80's. (Maybe they used a little better stuff in the fiberglass back then?).

S

Sue Innes

Can't believe it!

We have a Catalina 28 MkII our tupperware boat as we call it. Our friends with older boats come onboard for sundowners and sit in awe at the amount of space we have to entertain 10 of them in the cockpit. A peek inside has them saying "can't believe it so much space for the size". Apart from the space we love the low maintenance factor more time for us on the water. Newish suits us but the older boats have charisma

M

michael parsons

c-36, hull 151

the new boats have obviously some nice features that my old one doesn't, but what i miss the most is all the teak in the interior. the newer boats are beautiful, but seem a bit more cold, with not as much personality. but then, i have a thing for the traditional.

R

Raymond Ortega

Old, but not ancient

My boat is a 1984 Hunter 25.5. It is old enough to have a little wood and to need a few upgrades and maintenance. But it is new enough that everything works reasonably well. I sometimes think my real hobby is puttering around with things and making a few changes. This boat provides a good platform for learning more about electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems (no wonder it qualifies as a second home)as well as being fun to sail.

M

Mark Wieber

A journey of a thousand miles...

begins with a broken mail halyard and a leaky toilet valve. I don't care how recently your boat came off the assembly line. New things fail because they are new and untested, old things fail because they have been well used. Our 1985 C36 seems to be "new" compared to some of the entries I just read:):) She sails extremely well for a house, and has yet to embarass me in friendly competition. Low maitenance, less wood topside means more sailing and less "yachting". Cosy wood enterior makes a fine and peaceful refuge. No clipper bow, or classic wine glass transome. Not one of the wooden masted beauties that send me scurrying for my camera. Just a standard, modern sailboat that fills my heart with joy and lets me ride the wind.

T

T. Cockrell

Oldie, but a goodie, Pearson 35 1969

Some of the prettiest lines ever!

R

roger marshutz

new

I have a 18 month Catalina 310 and love it which was bought new. . My last 3 boats were old boats which at the time I also was infatuated with them. I sail her almost 4 or more days a month...

P

Paul & Valery

Great ole boat

We live on and sail our Chris Craft Appache 37 Long Island Sound and points east. We want to move up to a H40. But untill then she is a great old boat that sails unbelievably well under all the conditions we've encountered.(and we've encountered a few!) Paul & Valery

A

AHHooker

Resurected Redwing 30

My father bought PEGASUS new in 1969, in 1985 I bought her from him. Love the classic lines and sea-kindliness. I have spent many hours re-building her from the keelbolts up, but now I have a boat stronger than factory new. This is impressive, because she was originally built incredibly solid, 2+" of solid fiberglass below the bilge. Because I still race this 1969 C & C Redwing 30 very actively (and successfully), I am continualy updating equipment and sails. The greatest feeling is passing new boats with this beautiful old classic that is glowing with years of love. A real "neck snapper"- she looks great, and sails better. In reality, I have probably put enough money into her over the years to keep her competitive and safe to be able to buy a new boat. Would you rather drive a '57 T-bird, or a 2003 T-bird?

M

Michal

Happy !

My love is a 1977 US-305 (sloop rigged) that I would not trade in for the glitziest floating vessel in existence. It was designed by Bill Garden to be a solid coastal cruiser and that is exactly what it is. I have zero interest in racing, circum navs, motoring in a floating entertainment center, or "moving up". In short, I am happy with what I have.

A

Augie Byllott

Older boat VS a new one

To me, the investment in a sailboat evolves through a series of considerations. I see it as a sliding scale that begins with what is the mimimum I really need and ends with what I really want. How far along that scale I can get depends on the amount of the financial investment I am willing to make. Often, for a given make and length, there is little difference between new and old in terms of safety, comfort, cruising performance, and the pure enjoyment of sailing. However, the difference in cost can be monumental. I ventured into the world of sailing with a used 25' trailerable. To that point, it was the best recreational investment I ever made. After more than four years, I sold it for more than I paid for it. I moved on to a used 30 footer. That was a great leap in creature comforts and also a great leap in seasonal storage expenses. After fourteen years I just sold it for more than I paid for it. To that point, it was the best recreational investment I ever made. Now, I've got a used 38 footer. At every stage, I was either unable or unwilling to buy new. I do not view this as a negative because in each case, I was able to find everything I needed, as well as everything I wanted, at a price I was exceptionally pleased with. I can't imagine how I could have been happier, in any sense, if any of the three boats had been new. But, as with so many things in life, one size does not fit all. People do what they believe is best for them to do at the time they do it.

T

Tony Re

Every thing is better in new BUT SPEED!

I own a 1985 Hunter 40 ..which I improved. I hate to repeat this in each reponse but it gives me the credability for my close to expert opinion. I won 7 first places this past year, The Klooney Trophy, 1st place Team trophy (oly Yacht club), First place Fleet,Class and over all in the "Swiftsure Cape Flattery Race" (107 boats compeated) and became Skipper of the Year Olympia Yacht Club and Sail Fleet Captain ETC. Now listen carefully ..You Too Hunter Marine. Every item on your newer HUNTERS is better Then I have. The interior is beautiful. I wrote to Hunter looking into the HUNTER 50 and Hunter never replied. NOW AGAIN listen. Your newer boats 1987 to 2000 simaler in size ARE ALL RATED BY PHRF as SLOWER. My boat broker said if you race and you were looking at newer HUNTERS THEY are slower but better in all other respects, Hardware to sails and comfort/looks items but you already own the fastest Hunter unless you increase the waterline. Hunter how is your sails of your 50's doing? I entered the Vic-Maui this year ...giving you 13 months ..and all 50's I saw on your web site were not here in Seattle. NO one called me and I Could have raced to HI. to prove your speed to the public. I Know with my crew WE WOULD TAKE FIRST PLACE. I even paid the $700 entry fee. New is Better..1985 is faster according to racing handicapping! Tony Re Skipper "Re-Treat" 1985 Hunter 40. A faster than new boat

T

Tony Re

you own the fastest 35.5 ..Read my post

Even the Hunter 43 is not rated as fast as my Hunter 40. Your boat took 2nd in the double handed race to Maui from SanFrancisco Ca. back a few years ago. If you do not race and want to go distance cruising ..look into other boats besides Hunter. IF your cruising just Puget Sound, Straits, and ALK You can do that now but a larger boat is more comfortable. Tony Re

T

Tony Re

And Faster!

You are correct. Speed has gone down ..unless you buy a "racing boat" which is much lighter, weaker, and not much comfort ..unless you spen 275,000 and more ..as a Jay 120, J 160 and Thomsons etc.

C

Capt. Kimo

96' Mac26X vs 03' Mac26M

Recently visited Las Vegas RV and Boat Show and saw the new MacGregor 26M (Millenium?). PRO's: 1. Daggerboad to improve performance in Close Haul. 2. Steering pedestle smaller to getting around, but still have to get around wheel. 3. Steering mechanical linkage hidden in Aft berth Transom area. 4. Taller mast 30' vs 28' 5. Rotational Mast to wind with bolt rope main. 6. No Backstay. 7. More head room in Aft berthing area. 8. Raise bump on steerman seat for better viewing. Con: 1. Daggerboard trunk is center bulkhead for FWD head and "galley" area. Both head and galley smaller. Head not enclosed, but with a lower "Dutch" door. 2. Salon has small split table. Not the 4 person table arrangement before. 3. Cockpit does not allow 6' sleeping as before. 4. Swim ladder will be difficult to position on transom. As my 96' Mac26X w/50 HP Johnson O/B is paid for, I admit I am biase in my opinion. Don't need to learn the "querks" of a new design.

J

Joe Lynch

1982 O'Day 30

My captain (wife) and I sailed a 1984 MacGreggor 25 Trailer Sailer for 7 years. We sold it last year and purchased our current boat a 1982 O'Day 30. We looked for about two years to find a solid boat reasonably equipped and maintained. We did not want a TLC boat but something we could sail and improve upon at the same time. Our boat is solid and all that we could ask for. We may go larger later on but now we are happy with our 30 footer.

C

Carol

Classic Bristol 29.9

Sturdy, seaworthy and beautiful, the boat will last forever if I treated kindly. Older boats have a personality that newer models lack. I've had her almost 10 years now and wouldn't trade her away for anything. Interior could do with some updating, but the warmth of all the interior wood is comforting, enough (but not too much) exterior teak, Yanmar diesel still going with confidence, the boat WANTS to keep sailing.

Attachments

T

Todd Alt

What is old ?

It seems that a definition of "old" is in order....I consider my boat to be old at 19 years...one person's comments indicated that he felt a boat made in the 80's was a new boat. Is an old boat a wooden boat? The beauty of the lines of a really old boat (some of the old wooden sloops such as the hershoff designs) can not be disputed by any true boat lover. However, I really don't see a monumental change in appearance from a glass sailboat made by Cal in the sixties or seventies and a Catalina or Hunter made in the nineties. A boat watcher can identify the vintage, but the changes in exterior appearance I feel are minimal. As to the the quality issue of the newer glass boats - I recently read an article in a Boat U.S. publication that was titled "More is not Better". This article disscussed the misconception that the more glass used in layup meant that it was stronger, and that in some cases too much glass is detrimental strength-wise. In the sixties glass was still very much a new concept in boat construction, and it was then thought that strength was a matter of weight and thickness. The quality of layup materials and procedures have long surpassed these original methods thus allowing for a lighter boat to actually be stronger in many cases. Secondly, you probably will find more boats made in the sixties and seventies compared to the number of those made in the eighties and nineties simply because there were twice the number of boat makers operating back then. Quanity is rarely the only indicator of quality. It is common knowledge that many production boatmakers (the list is massive) went under due to the economy's failing during the late seventies and early eighties. I cannot seem to recall that I have ever seen a sailboat sitting on land or in the water that I didn't love looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.