Age and beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Lemasters

Pearson Commander, More than Classic Beauty

My 26' Pearson Commander was built in 1965 after a design by Carl Alberg. A deep long and heavy lead keel gives this boat the stability and safty not found on many modern production sailboats. The hull is made of very thick fiberglass compared to todays thin glass hulls. It sails more like a traditional wooden hulled sailboat.More narrow and a lower profile than todays designs make this classic day-sailer a standout of classic beauty that will never go out of style. I have also found that this is an easy boat to restore and modernize because the quality, simplicity and goodness of design are there. Did I also say that it has side decks,why would any sailboat not have side decks? But when one chooses any boat seaworthiness and safty should come before aesthetics.The sea is much more than a beautifull playground, as we all know too well, it is unforgiving to those not prepared or ill-equiped to meet it's challanges.

B

Bruce McFadden

My boat is an Allied Chance 30 30 Hull 14. It was built in 1971 and it is built like a tank. I cannot believe the difference in hull thinkness compared to contemporary boats. Having said that I would love a new shiny boat with new shiney do dads.

J

Jeff Moylan

EXPERIANCED OL' LADY

I have owned my 1979 30' O'Day since 1990 she replaced my 1988 26' McGreggor. I fell in love with her at first sight & she offered so much more than my newer 26 & the swap was an even trade. she has given me nothing but pleasure & extremely reliable service...I have been looking for a newer boat for some time & attended the annual boat shows...I have not found anything yet that will stack up to the old girl. She is comfortable roomy & accepts new upgrades like a champ. I just don't think I could replace her.

T

Todd Alt

Just about right

My O'day 28 was built in 1984 when O'day was still O'day. It is new enough that it isn't a narrow-beamed outdated design, the equipment layout is updated and set-up to recent standards, and yet it doesn't suffer from a lack of interior richness or teak trim. Many recently made boats, not all, are real big on the "lack of maintenance" angle concerning teak trim and wood in general. It seems that this is just another excuse to cut costs, and much of the beauty of a boat is lost when all you look at is plastic. However, newer boats have improved maintenance access, and improved systems design especially in the head and galley areas. Unless you have a lot of money - it seems that it is tough to have it all. I am very happy with my boat and I intend to keep it for a while longer.

J

Julio

1983 Seafarer 30 - Great Old Boat

She is built well and sails well. She has more teak outside than most which gives her a nice look. She may not be as shiny as a newer boat, but her lines say "sailboat" as opposed to tech toy. Nothing wrong with newer boats, but I like the fiberglass boats from the 60's to mid 80's better.

D

dick schwarz

Allied chance 30/30

I owned hull Chance 30/30 # 2 in 1972 and it was without a doubt the best sailing boat that I have ever owned and yes built like a tank. But that was Allied. A great Company with a great tradition of solid boats.

J

Jack Metzel

AT LAST is still the best

My '79 Catalina 25 swing keel is still my pride and joy. Its taken a beating over 24 years of racing and cruising, but I have never seen another boat so versatile and so much fun to own. Every time I take her out I yell AT LAST!

J

John K Kudera

The last one! A '84 H34

The "Boss" says this is our last boat, so I take care of it, A 1984 H34, We have owned her since 1990, she has been a very comfortable cruising boat, and, we raced her for a few years. We have what we need for cruising, the electronics, dodger, bimini, AC and heat,refrigeration, carpeting,we like the boat so that visits to the new models is just for upgrade ideas. We have not found anything we would like to own, except for maybe that $$$ 40ft Sabre, and that is way out of our budget!

R

Ron Schwiesow

27 years, don't want to trade

Romso, our '76 Balboa 8.2, seems to become better with age. We do the usual boat show routine, but we can't find anything we like better, especially in terms of accommodations for real cruising. I prefer to climb in the "hold" under the cockpit to work on the little Petter Diesel and retrieve big fenders than work around a double berth under there. The old, slim 8' beam is easily driven and provides superior ultimate stability. It's also easier to trailer when we hit narrow interstate detours. We can upgrade as we wish without worrying about cutting up a new boat. For example, our new Delta and Bruce on Windline mounts are better than any anchoring system we can find at the boat show. It's a great little trailer cruiser.

Attachments

M

Micki Levine

"TAX$EA" is a seasoned vet.

Although the good ship TAX$EA is is only 13 years old- a 1991 Hunter 37.5 Legend- she is well on her way to being our favorite boat. We purchased her three years ago to replace our 1989 30foot Catalina. I must say it was love at first sight. Her clean lines and beautiful interior won my heart. We did add a stainless radar arch and a bimini. Three years and several cruises later, I truly appreciate the way she sails and cruises. I must say that I have my eye on the 426D that we saw at the Annapolis boat show, but my co-captain says that might be a ways off.

D

DavidH

Buccaneer Fan

My wife Susan and I own a 1976 Buccaneer 240 which we are in the process of refurbishing. Love the room and spaciousness of the boat and six foot headroom is nice. Shoal draft is very helpful on Tampa Bay and Sarasota Bay. Not a racer to windward but she makes five knots plus downwind with main and jib. Boat is not too complicated and have done all of the repairs and refurbishing our selves. My wife is a whiz with fibreglass.

F

Frank Arndorfer

New new new

Brand spanking new....in fact SO new it still hasn't been delivered yet. last update from our dealer is that it's on a truck and enroute. There's no doubt that some of the older boats with their classic lines are beautiful but when I consider the effort required in maintaining some of these boats, I'm reminded that I was attracted to this sport to SAIL, not REPAIR. You simply cannot beat the newer boats for a whole lot less maintenance and a whole lot more sailing.!!!!

N

Nick

32 years . . .

I am only 18 years old the day my (someday to be) 1971 C-27 first slid down her ways. Now 32 years later the shine has moved from her hull to the top of my head. This boat can still do anything a new one can do. And so can I, only I can't do it for as long. Nick "Julia Bell" C-27, #86

T

Tom Andreano

Aging gracefully

We have a 1981 Whitby 42. Generally it is a well thought of boat and,built exstremely well. Some of the newer boats might be more comfortable "at the docks", but we have observed that to get the quality of construction that mirrors our 20 year old 42 footer, we would need to look at the smaller builders that are less production oriented, so the "cost of reproduction" (a term surveyors like to use to keep us older boat owners happy) is towards the higher end of the scale. So if you start looking at a new Pacific Seacraft, Valiant or even an Island Packet, you are spending 2 or 3 times the money, which would keep us from going cruising....I do admit to looking for ways to streamline some of the maintenance, I have a love/hate relationship with my exterior teak, but that is another subject...

J

jim chaffee

i bought my Cal2-29 new in 1978, still love her

even though shes older now and worn down some. (Like me actually) She's still the love of my life and I actually think I may go out with her. She's outlasted many human relationships and has remained much more true and consistent. How could i think of letting her go. By the way, I'm usually singlehanding. Does it show?

S

Steve C

have a newish one, love the older ones

I have an 87 Beneteau, sort of newish. While I like some of the advancements of design in new sailboats, aesthetically the newer sailboats are boring at best, and down right ugly sometimes. I love the looks of a sailboat with balanced overhangs, and a sweet sheer line; like Herreshoffs designs, early Olin Stephens, or the Concordia Yawls. Todays plumb bows, wide transomes, stright sheer lines are a dime a dozen, and boring, including my own boat. They sail faster, but don't inspire much love. Also I don't like some of the new boats gelcoat. Seems the gelcoat is getting more and more shinny with a clearcoat look. Looks fragil. Kind of like with furnature, too much polyurathaune(sp?) makes the wood look like it's trapped under glass rather than a finish that enhances the beauty of wood. Or a custom paint job on a car can be ruined by too much clear coat.

J

JR

We're Both Aging

We sail a 1978 Pearson 30. The more I sail this boat the better I like it. We hope to upsize to a 36' - 38' for more live aboard space in the next couple of years, but will still be looking for a late 70's to mid 80's boat. In some ways they're better built, but the real factor is affordability on a retirement income. A good solid well maintained hull is like the energizer bunny....it just keeps on going and ....

J

Jay Lasseter

She's half my age

I am 40 she is 20 yr old hunter 25. Thanks to the previous one owner same slip for 20 years in fresh water Lake Lanier GA, she is in beautiful shape and I prefer the wood and details to the newer models.

B

Bill

1967 Alberg 30

Our baby is a 1967 Alberg 30, whom we've owned for a little less than a year. She's named "Mary Ann" after my Mary Ann. We've spent the past year updating her--deck hardware,amenities, plumbing, wiring, brightwork, electronics/nav suite, cosmetics, etc. She's beautiful, sturdy, and now ready for her rookie crew-we're basically a couple dinghy sailors with a dream ;-) If you're in southern MD, stop by--we're at Zahnisers. Bill and Mary Ann

D

Dee and Clay Minter

36-year-old is perfect for us

1967 Eriscon 26 - I really think they made 'em better in the old days! Classier and stronger at the same time. She suits us well and I'm confident she has another 36 years left in her!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.