Age and beauty

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

Maybe this isn't a polite question to ask about a lady, but how old is your boat? Do you have a shiny new boat that is all fiberglass and stainless steel, or do you have an older model with plenty of "character lines." If you have an older boat, do you think the older boats were built better or do you prefer the teak accents or decks? What do you miss most about the features on the newer ones? If you have a newer boat, is there any aspect of the older boats that you wish you could recreate in your boat? How long do you expect to own your current boat? Share your views on age and beauty and be sure to vote in the Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. (Quiz by Gary Wyngarden)

D

David Guthridge

Classic ladies!!

I have always prefered the more mature, classic lady. Mine is a 1972 Pearson 26 (414). She was in average shape when I got her 3 years ago. I have since remodeled the entire interior, cushions, bulkheads, etc, refinished all the teak exterior, and polished the exterior and all stainless steel. She may not beat all of these new ones (She will some!) but I always turn a few heads at the dock. I guess it comes from my dad's boats. Back in the 50s he had a 1952 Chris Craft 31 foot Express Cruiser. She was solid mahogany and she was gorgeous. I know because I spent many a summer day sanding and varnishing. He had a couple of old classics so the charm of those boats has stuck on me. I had a 1929, 21 ft Chris Craft tripple seater back in the 70s with a 1937 95 hp Grey engine. She would get up to 25 kts on occasion. If I had the time It would be fun to have one now but I would rather be sailing than varnishing at this point in my life. I have sailed on a few newer boats and they just don't feel as solid as mine. Their decks are not as rigid and interiors, like the doors, are not as solid. I also just like the lines of the older boats. They look more "shippy", if you will? David

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
15 Years Young

We picked up our boat, a 1988 Hunter "Legend" 35, in February of 1988 at Shilshole Marina in Seattle, a big step up from our 16 ft daysailer. We had never sailed the boat before and the salesman cast off the docklines and we sailed her home. It was a very cold and rainy day as we sailed across Puget Sound, passed a fleet of boats racing around Bainbridge Island and tacked through narrow Agate Pass against the current. We try to keep her shiny but the sun and the marine environment has taken its toll. All the ports and the forward skylight has been replaced. The shear stripe and the black coach roof vinyl has also been replaced, the latter with a one-part paint. The cabin sole looks good after a re-varnishing and the interior has had a few coats of satin finish varnish added over the factory "varnish" finish. We only have a very few exterior teak accents (pulpit seat, grid behind the helm, and hatch boards) and that's enough for me. The handrails are stainless(!) and no teak decks (they don't do well in the northwest). The hatch boards are maintaind with high gloss varnish and help give her a bit of a yachty look. Like the better quality of the wood interior on the newer boats but like the teak holly sole on ours, even though it is veneer. I prefer the perforated aluminum toe rail on our boat to the new boats without one. The aluminum toe rail allowes me to place a snatch block anywhere for sheeting the genoa out or for flying a chute. We've been looking for the next boat ever since we bought the one we have and want to find something in the 37 to 43 foot range for longer cruises. The picture is of "Servus" anchored on the west coast of Baranoff Island, Southeast Alaska (below Sitka).

Attachments

C

Cathy Alcorn

She's going to be a classic

An older boat but a goodie. We bought a 1982 Wauquiez 33' Gladiatuer that was in pretty good shape for her age. While it would be nice to not have to make up for maintenence and deep cleaning left undone over the years, I think that a little bit of age adds some character especially with exterior teak accents and the fairly large amount of teak used in the cabin construction. Being a European boat with a modern/forward design we have been spared the "dated" look inside of the cabin that seems to come with the territory in boats of this vintage. I don't miss the initial cost of the newer boat but there is the requirement of time, skill, new parts and elbow grease to get our boat looking it's best. This is a trade off that suits us personally but isn't surely for everyone. Cathy Alcorn Andante

D

Dusty

She's a grand ol' lady

She isn't the biggest tub on the water, but being built in 1969 she's a grand ol' lady. My Morgan 22 is just right for myself and my daughter to day or weekend cruise on the Great Lakes. This season we are planning many upgrades to keep her ship shape including a complete rewiring and adding some storage space in the saloon. Of course, there's always my daughters new paint scheme for the bow compartment! Some new bottom paint and a few changes to her interior and she'll be ready for another season on the water! Dusty

J

John Price

She's a techie Queen

We bought the yacht Masalla in 1999. She was sitting in dry dock in a farmer's field literally miles from any good sailing area in L.Superior/L.Huron. She had sat there for almost 2 years while I tried vehemently to persuade my wife (the experienced sailor) to purchase her. Wow, what a streamlined beauty! We have had 3 wonderful seasons aboard her, including a honeymoon cruise to Detour Michigan, and around St. Joseph's Island and back up the Sault and the St. Mary's River System. Last summer we cruised the world famous North Channel of L. Huron. Heaven! (Written by Susan French for her husband John Price.)

G

Gerald Niffenegger

I have two

I have two older boats. I changed a few things on my 1982 O'day 23. It now has a full galley on the starboard side and a new diesel motor installed in the ice box under the step. The 23 is a great boat to single hand. The galley, shower, batteries, and 50 gallon of fresh water make it a nice little weekender. It was going to be my one and only boat for life. hee hee A few months ago I purchased a 32' 1967 wood yawl. The boat was built in the German Frers Sr. Sr. yards in Argentina. It has a full keel along with a swinging keel. In open ocean there is a world of difference between the two. I don't think that a wood boat is for everyone but I have the time and a full shop to take care of it. Gerald Niffenegger Florianopolis, Brazil

S

Steve O'Neill

Built like a brick...

...poopdeck! 1969 V24. D**n the dock! Full speed ahead!

B

Brad Newell

Just right

I really admire wooden boats; our first vessel was all wood. It was warm and reasonably quiet. However, we quickly found ourselves literally spending more time working on the thing than sailing it. When you're working for a living (and raising kids), that soon becomes a drag. Since then we have had a series of boats, each with a little less wood on the exterior. The hull of our Legend 43 was laid up at the end of '91 and has just the right amount of wood showing - almost none. The inside of the vessel has enough wood to be warm, and we added book cases on the starboard side by the dinette. That added a little personality below, not that it needed a lot. We've had our 43 for over 11 years and have put about 30,000 miles on the thing - and I have a lot of difficulty imagining a better boat in 43 feet. We bought it for a Pacific adventure and it was big enough for the trip - without being so big that we'd have to sell it when we returned home. No regrets.

D

Debra B

24 years and still strong

Just enough teak on the topsides to look good, but not enough to be a full time job. Mine is a Cherubini designed 37 ft cutter. Sails well, fairly solid. The one regret I have is the few touches of 1970s decor left.... I have been working on systems (almost done with the major stuff) and haven't got much money (or patience) left for decorating. Still, it is OK for a while. The deck is in desparate need of paint... this will happen as soon as I get a good couple of days to get started.

J

Jim Bruce

1977 Classic 25

1977 , 25', In great shape and still looks and sails good.

R

Roger Mummah

Endless Summer 20 1/2

Endless Summer is 20 1/2 years young. We look at newer boats all the time and Susie and I agree (with others) that the older boats have lots more storage space. We've had to modify some cabinetry but this 31 footer is a great little pocket cruiser. And since we pay for many things "by the foot", she is less expensive in many ways. But the BIGGIE is Endless Summer is PAID FOR. Thanks, ROger and Susie Mummah www.cruisingendlesssummer.com

B

Brian

She's younger than me!

My girl is a '78 Oday 23. She was saved from her sea wall home of four unmoved years. She was a gift, along with 4 inches of baracles, a bottom full of blisters, shreaded genoa, a hole through the deck where one of the lifeline stanchions used to be, and covered with a powdery substance that used to be gelcoat. After building a trailer and the forteen hour trip to Florida to get her, she is now sitting in my backyard dry dock. Her bottom is about done, and she should be ready for the water this summer. The funny part is I did all of this without knowing how to sail. The cure was sailing lessons at the local yacht club. One of the boats I trained in was another '78 Oday 23. After an evening on that boat, I came back home and looked at my backyard project. I think she's beautiful.

L

Lewie

Miss the storage shelf

Having sailed a 1976 Catalina 22 in the early '80's out of Port Hueneme, CA and now sailing a 1988 - I miss the storage shelf on the older 22's. I do appreciate the pop top, the gas tank locker and the galley.

J

Jack Kosten

14 years old....

My Pearson 27 is 14 years old and a terrific boat. I have re-finished the teak toe rails and the interior teak. It has proven to be an excellect, predictable sailoboat. I just wish Lake Michigan levels would rise......

J

J Mashburn

Shiny & New

As I get back into sailing, I had to buy a new boat to test the waters. I tried to look for a used daysailer but their were none to be found in my home town. I purchased a new 2003 Hunter 146 daysailer & I really enjoy it as I can sail with family, friends or solo. I even kept it in the garage during this past winter. Now I'm on the lake...taking on the sun at 78 degrees. I'm glad spring has arrived in Georgia. Jim Hunter 146 TIKI

M

Marlin McFadden

Going strong at 37 years old

All the wood trim (teak toerail, coaming, etc.)is a bit of a pain, but I'm willing to do the maintainence because I love the classic lines and full keel design of my 1966 Islander 29. She's very solidly built, and sails like a champ! My philosophy is: Why buy a new boat when there are so many great older boats around at such great prices.

L

Larry G Turner

New Vs Old

I'm always dreaming about a newer, bigger boat (like everyone) and the ones I look at seem to have more creature comfort than my older ('74) boat. The newer ones seem to be built to make things more convienient with more storage areas, more control lines to the cockpit and better electrical systems. The older boats, in their defense, seem to be built heavier and usually have more powerful engines.

B

BILL ROBB

Newer IS better, but ....

When I bought my 1984 O'day 30 3 years ago, it was the newest, most expensive boat I could afford, and I expect it to be the last boat this 54 year-old guy will own. Being a veteran of countless boat shows, I've seen where new technology has steadily improved the breed - if you can afford it! Those that can't love the traditional lines and charactor of the "older" boats. Fiberglass is great, isn't it?! Bill on STARGAZER

C

Chuck Clauser

Old vs. new boat

My boat is an '84 O'day 26 (25th Anniversary model), with a Yanmar single cylinder diesel. She's in very good condition overall, but I am replacing both bulkheads (chainplate rot), installing a rolling furler, new icom radio, rebuilding the vanity area, installing a holding tank in the wet locker behind the toilet, and doing other upgrades. I think the quality is very good for this price level boat. I see newer 3-digit O'day models around me, and in my opinion, they lack the design quality of the 'older' boats. This is my first season with this boat, and I'm looking forward to enjoying our time out on the river. I plan to submit photos around launch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.