Not open for further replies.
T

Tony Re

Your Bristal WILL last for your life time

A solid Great Boat ..for cruising. Also looks beautiful. Tony Re

N

nwsailordude

Older is better two to one or more

Yes ,I have an older boat. I own a 32' center cockpit sloop rig. Yes I think and in some ways I know that some of the older boats were made better! that's the truth. New boats and new tech. is great for the racer. but some of us guys and gals, still like the comfort of a solid well built boat, with more fiberglass than needed. and yes maybe just a little heavy but that is a problem I gladly accept. The older polymers were better too. the older boats don't have the blister problems that some of the newer boats have. plus the price has a great impact on what you get for your buck you can rebuild and refit to almost new condition two boats, for the price of one new boat! so think on that for a bit. I love my older, heavy, Oday 32,' would'nt have a new one any way

C

Craig

'77 Cherubini

Wind Toy is a 1977 H25 and we just love it. Solid , fast little boat Craig

T

the Pirate of Sha-lin

What a Boat!

When we went boat shopping last year, we went looking for an older boat. It needed to be as sturdy as the 1971 Bristol which belonged to my other 1/2. It needed to be as quick, comfortable and responsive as my 1977 Catalina 22. Not an easy order to fill! Enter 'Oasis' our 1972 Pearson 33 Thoroughbred, hull #191, and a William Shaw design. She's a racer-cruiser, and we've done both. Low and sleek, she gallops over any chop. Downwind she makes and maintains 8 knots, with 7 kts being her average speed in a fresh breeze, even loaded with water and a weeks worth of cruising gear. She's very comfortabe to cruise on, having every amenity that we didn't have on our 22-footers, including a hot shower and standing headroom. Every time we go out for a sail we reluctantly bring her back saying "What a Boat!" She just smiles to herself, because she knows it.

O

Olivier van Mierlo

Gave her some extra!

Some weeks ago i decided to paint the hull because the original gelcoat became too eroded. I was already convinced by her classic features when she was still white but once she was painted dark-grey she became smaller on her waist and she looked more "stretched" in a way. I think the old "classic" H 27 is the perfect compromize between modern and classic features. And i always will like her "butt" Olivier van Mierlo "Seagull"

Attachments

D

Dave Lapham

I love our 1982 38' Catalina

Our 1982 38' Catalina is the best sailing vessel I have ever sailed. I sailed for 50 years and now that I have retired I finally get to sail a real racing vessel. Due to my Nephew who bougt Sting it 1983 an sailed her in races througout Michigan. Now he has allowed me to share his fine vessel, and this old man is having the time of my life. I just want to share my joy with others.

S

SailboatOwners.com

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending March 30, 2003: My boat was built: 41% Between 1982 and 1992  30% Before 1982 18% Between 1998 and 2003  12% Between 1993 and 1997  1,496 owners responding

K

Kenneth Edwards Jr.

Old and proud

If it were not for old fiberglass boats many of us would not be able to enjoy sailing as we do. If I had to choose between boat payments and saving for my kid's education, I would still be sailing a Hobie 16. I like my 1976, Catalina 30 #291 just fine.

G

Gary Britton

Like a Fine Wine

I have a 1966-O'Day Daysailer and it is just one fine boat. Very stable and fun to sail Love the lines and the wood. Just do not see nice wood on a 17' boat. All plastic now. It really turns heads at the lake. Would not trade it for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.