Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Keith:

I'm out here in the South Pacific on my Hunter 376. Left Texas 4 years ago to cruise single handed. Been all over the Bahamas, Northern, eastern, southern and western Caribbean and now doing the South Pacific. You want a real education on boats and cruising, come down and hang with me in the French Polynesia for a couple of weeks. You'll learn that a lot of stuff you read online is, well, entertaining reading.

I do agree with Centerline mostly on here. Good advice from him but let me make a few points: to make a typical coastal cruiser ready for cruising you want to do, will take substantial investment into the boat. If the boat is more than 15 years old figure on replacing everything before you go and adding another 10k of stuff and that is with you doing all the work. So much easier and cheaper to do it back home than out here. If you are single handling, I suggest 1 brand new auto-pilot installed and 1 brand new auto-pilot of same model stored away. That is cheaper than an autopilot and windvang setup most bluewater boats have and easier to deal with and much better for single handlers where the boat is sailing on it's own for several hours.

I also recommend you not even think about going cruising until you've mastered not only sailing, but weather patterns, weather forecasting, route planning, typical routes, typical world currents, and lots of topics most don't even think about when they talk about getting ready for cruising. Learning how to sail is only 5% of what you need to know and there are other subjects such as listed above that are just as important if not more important than knowing how to sail.

Case in point: a long time sailor but newbie cruiser just ran his expensive yacht into an atoll down here. As he says, he was monitoring his chart plotter and radar when it happened. What he didn't know is his chart plotter didn't have any detail to it for this area and he was running off of base charts. About the most stupidest thing one can do for this area.

The best advice I can give you is fine cruisers to crew for (such as my offer). That is the best way to learn what you want and what you need to study up on. You will also learn if this is something you really want to do. Most give up cruising before 2 years and never make it beyond the Bahamas or Caribbean or Mexico on the west coast. Cruising is hard and many times you will be asking yourself, especially if alone, why am I doing this?

As for the boats I see out here, all kinds and shapes and sizes and levels of quality and upkeep. Fact is, you can go around the world in just about anything if you know what you are doing. Tons of blue water boats are left at sea because the captain/crew didn't know what they were doing...or in some cases, got too complacent and made bad decisions. About 100 coastal cruisers cross the South Pacific every year and maybe half of that keep going around.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Reasons why some don't like cruising: mosquitoes, no-seeums, ants, termites, sweating your ___ off, always hot, boat rarely ever stable -- even in anchorages, terrible service, terrible food, huge language barrier, cost, having to walk everywhere, always problems with dinghies, always having to work on something leaving little time for what you had planned on doing when cruising, sea sickness, boredom, boredom, boredom and more boredom, can't escape bad weather, water restrictions, entertainment restrictions, the list goes on and on. That is why most don't cruise for very long and I'm not talking about the wimps either....they don't last but 1 or 2 months. Cruising wears on you. It is very important to know what you can take before you buy the boat and outfit it. If just going to do the West coast or Caribbean for a year then no need for a lot of stuff, but if this is a major time period like 5 years, then the boat needs to be outfitted a lot different. Go crewing for others first to find out what is right for you.

To be totally honest with ya, I think I would have given up cruising, at least this run, a couple years ago if it weren't for the huge tax (I am still working) break I get for being out of the country all year. That extra 15k goes a long ways to pay for things out here.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Reasons why some don't like cruising: mosquitoes, no-seeums, ants, termites, sweating your ___ off, always hot, boat rarely ever stable -- even in anchorages, terrible service, terrible food, huge language barrier, cost, having to walk everywhere, always problems with dinghies, always having to work on something leaving little time for what you had planned on doing when cruising, sea sickness, boredom, boredom, boredom and more boredom, can't escape bad weather, water restrictions, entertainment restrictions, the list goes on and on. That is why most don't cruise for very long and I'm not talking about the wimps either....they don't last but 1 or 2 months. Cruising wears on you. It is very important to know what you can take before you buy the boat and outfit it. If just going to do the West coast or Caribbean for a year then no need for a lot of stuff, but if this is a major time period like 5 years, then the boat needs to be outfitted a lot different. Go crewing for others first to find out what is right for you.
I had a couple of friends, married, who had done weekend cruises for years around southwest Florida including to Key West and the Dry Tortugas. Had owned three cruising boats that I knew about including a Westsail 32, Fuji 35 ketch, and finally a Pearson 424 sloop--all "bluewater" boats, especially the first two. He retired--they sold the house and shoved off on the Pearson for a (minimally) two-year cruise that lasted barely 18 mo, and this was just southwest Florida--Maine--Nassau--then home. It evidently was just not for them and I think the 424 has since been sold some time ago. So, my only take here is that one or may not find out his/her respective "readiness" for cruising, even with extensive boating experience beforehand. Of course, I also know folks who did the same thing and who are still out there loving it, and others who are getting set up to go again!!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
So, my only take here is that one or may not find out his/her respective "readiness" for cruising, even with extensive experience with boating beforehand.
Exactly, that is why I recommend crewing for boats that are cruising. Cruising is 100% different than sailing locally. I sailed locally for 9 years before taking off cruising and that included 2 150nm races and 1 630nm race offshore and several multi-day sailing trips, so I was not unfamiliar with being offshore and sailing legs, but when I started cruising it was totally different.

One needs to crew for other cruisers and do a few legs (aka...experience the sitting in harbor too) on each boat before you have a clue as to whether they will like it or not. Also need to crew for captains who like to teach and hopefully it is a good captain. Too many out there like to teach but teach crap.

There are lots of websites out there dedicated to helping crew find boats and captain finding crew. Personally, I rarely ever take crew because it is a hassle. I've been sailing single handed for 13 years. I know what I can and can't do. I know my limits and I do fairly well by myself. When bringing on crew, unless they are a friend, I don't know their limits or abilities. One thing is for sure, if you don't single hand, then the most important job is to make sure you pick the right crew and same goes for crew picking a captain.

May 10, 2016
NA NA NA
I really doubt someone barely born when the Andrea Gail met her demise would appreciate this picture or even know where to inquire the significance of it. Forgive me if I'm wrong.
I am familiar with The Andrea Gail, they made a major blockbuster movie about her after all....

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I myself If I was wanting a World Cruiser I would want a McCurdy & Rhodes 56 it is an Aluminum Hulled Boat with 85 hp Perkins 3 blade Screw a Cutter Rig cost you would have to save up for this one. But in the 200,000 range is the new Adventure 40 also a Good boat for Offshore the 56 would truly be your Safest one True offshore cruiser plus it is a very Nice looking Boat That would be my Choice