Activities between Sailing

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
While I was on the boat twice, we haven't left the dock so far this year.
My wife works too much and I have too many other tasks.

Since the boat is 1.5 hours away, sailing is only a good option on weekends when wifey is available. (I really need to teach friends to sail, or setup for single handing)

Current tasks are:
  • Replace fence along one side of property.
  • Help nephew with rally racing prep and racing (next is Detroit lakes in August)
  • Repair scooter for sister
  • Repair dishwasher for step mom
  • Get restoration truck running (wife wants her truck!!)
  • Re-organize garage

More tasks seem to be added to the list than are completed.

I need to retire or take a few weeks off so I can go sailing.

On a bright note I have new anchor rode ordered

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Since sailing in the NE is a seasonal endeavor, skiing all winter into the spring. Growing tomatoes during the summer and attempting to keep the property looking like I live there. Dreaming about the household projects I would like to do and procrastinating about hiring professionals who would do those things. The house may fall down on me but my sails are fresh and crisp. Priorities!

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
This year has been completely different for us. I got the boat ready for launch in April, then work took me to Britain in April and May, then the high water on Lake Ontario put a stop to launching....can launch now, but, work is taking me to Australia in the middle of August for 5 weeks. So, no sailing... my yard has never looked so good, and we have been able to use our camper this summer, something we usually do only in the fall and winter.
Friends have invited us to anchor out on Friday, and weather looks perfect!
I miss sailing....:sosad:

dj

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
My days of having work as my excuse for not attending to the honey-do list are over. Retirement starts tomorrow. :beer: But, if the sailing gods improve the weather, maybe I can stem off the inevitable for a little longer. Then I’ll have to think of another good reason. Mountain biking in the fall, skiing in the winter. Travel! Yes, traveling to some place warm should be a win-win. Then spring comes and it’s sailboat prep time again. :dancing:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Please do not mention this to the boss. That's a winter project and it's too cold in the winter to work in the garage, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Fortunately my wife doesn't care about the garage.
It's for working on stuff.
Not parking or storage.

Other than the fact that her truck is in there, in pieces, after 10 years of doing a frame off restoration.
Does that qualify as storage and parking ?

Mentioning the truck is no longer allowed in her company.

Can barely walk into the garage nevermind work in it. The previously mentioned scooter may end up in a dumpster tovsave time and make space. Hehe

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My folks passed in 2012. We kids divided the heirlooms that brought us memories in 2013. 63 years of memories. I stored some of mine in the garage. Finally I had to start on sorting, restoring and tossing the ones that needed too much restoration. Fortunately my daughter came to my rescue, “Mom, Dad will never have a clean garage. But he will have a less cluttered garage.”
So I can now go sailing for a week or so without guilt.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Blueberry Season. It scarred me for life :)
The first time our family went blueberry picking back in the early 60's we got hit with tear gas! We were returning from our outing thru Ft Dix in New Jersey. My brother and I were in the back seat. I started coughing and choking. My dad turned around and said "tear gas!". He immediately sped up to get out of it. Evidently we passed by a training field on the fort and the wind was blowing the gas across the road. My next experience was Marine Corps boot camp. We had to unmask in a tent filled with tear gas and sing the Marine Corps hymn!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well I guess the early experience served to help you accomplish the later task.
Nice going Dad.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My folks passed in 2012. We kids divided the heirlooms that brought us memories in 2013. 63 years of memories. I stored some of mine in the garage. Finally I had to start on sorting, restoring and tossing the ones that needed too much restoration. Fortunately my daughter came to my rescue, “Mom, Dad will never have a clean garage. But he will have a less cluttered garage.”
So I can now go sailing for a week or so without guilt.
Sounds like an excuse to me. After clearing the garage of boxes After buying the house, we have been able to park two cars in it almost continuously. The key is to have a shop to mess up!!

But @jssailem you can’t go sailing, you have a nice big Lewmar hatch to fit on your boat.

Les

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
thoroghbred, 17 hands
:beer: Wow, I was way off. I thought he was smaller and with those little ears and fine nose. Beautiful horse.
Our walkers were kind of the opposite, ears like mules, heavy faces, but boy, did they have a nice ride. No trot, they did a running walk that was so smooth. They were tall too, 16-3 and 17.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
[Sounds like an excuse to me. After clearing the garage of boxes After buying the house, we have been able to park two cars in it almost continuously. The key is to have a shop to mess up

Les[/QUOTE]

The purpose of a garage is a place to park vehicles. The worst thing I did was buy a place with no basement... Shop ended up in garage attic, what a pita that is!