AC Condensate Drain Oprion

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Looking for ideas for condensate drain not into the bilge. The anchor locker seems like an option as it is just forward of the AC unit which is under the forward bed. What works for you?

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
You can get a venturi set-up so it goes out with the cooling water. Dometic actually sells them.
Superb comment! Thanks Smokey. Good to see hull #1 is active. I did not know about the Venturi set up and I am glad for your comments. Thank you.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
The Venturi drain system is called a CR 330. It works as described but the key to keeping the water flowing out of the boat and not into it is a small check valve. That check valve fails we not only have a small leak, we have a 300 gpm pump assisting in filling up the boat.
Bottom line for me:It’s a great idea and suggestion but I don’t know how comfortable I’m going to be leaving the AC run unattended.
I’m also trying to beat back the mildew. She was left closed up with a wet bilge in the Texas summer. That is a topic for another thread and another day. For now, I’m just trying to keep the water outside, stop the leaks and bring her back to a baseline.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
The Venturi drain system is called a CR 330. It works as described but the key to keeping the water flowing out of the boat and not into it is a small check valve. That check valve fails we not only have a small leak, we have a 300 gpm pump assisting in filling up the boat.
Bottom line for me:It’s a great idea and suggestion but I don’t know how comfortable I’m going to be leaving the AC run unattended.
I’m also trying to beat back the mildew. She was left closed up with a wet bilge in the Texas summer. That is a topic for another thread and another day. For now, I’m just trying to keep the water outside, stop the leaks and bring her back to a baseline.
300 Per hour not minute. Will take longer to sink.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
There is no need for a check valve in this installation. A Venturi valve has no moving parts, is not prone to any mode of failure and can’t possibly back-flow.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I would not leave the AC running unattended with the intake value below the waterline either. The domestic product would not sink the boat, that intake value open would with a hose or pump failure.

The PO of my boat installed a product like this in the saloon hatch.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
Our boat has the Dometic venturi system and it works as advertised. As Don mentioned, there is no way for the condensate drain to sink our boat, it pulls water from the drip pan when the AC cooling water pump is running. As far as the mildew issue, we spent a couple of days with spray bleach cleaning it away when we first got our boat. Once a year we use the NosGuard Boat Odor Eliminator (chlorine dioxide bombs) to get rid of any lingering mustiness. We keep DampRid bags hanging in her all the time too. Congrats on your boat. You will love it. Used to sail on Lake Hefner a million years ago.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
As Don mentioned, there is no way for the condensate drain to sink our boat, it pulls water from the drip pan when the AC cooling water pump is running.
Hopefully your drip pan will not corrode out.

Why would it corrode?

Condensate water is demineralize water and loves to corrode things faster.:(

Agreed that if the Venturi draw failed, the full pan would over flow to your Bilge Pump.

My new unit drip pan is a composite and not metal.;)
Jim...

PS: It would take many weeks of condensate water to sink a boat.:pimp:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
There is no need for a check valve in this installation
If you read their info, the Venturi will only work in a specified Cooling water flow rate Range.
The Check valve was to not have back flow, if outside of the Venturi "sucking range".
Jim...

PS: Just like a landlubbers Condensate pump.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
There is no need for a check valve in this installation. A Venturi valve has no moving parts, is not prone to any mode of failure and can’t possibly back-flow.
See below.
  • The condensate is pumped overboard any time the air conditioner's circulation pump is working and sufficient condensate is in the condensate pan of your Marvair unit
  • By operating on the Venturi effect, a separate condensate pump is not required
  • A water filter/strainer, a reducer and a check valve are also provided and must be installed with the CR330
  • The filter prevents debris from entering the CR330 and obstructing the water flow
  • The check valve allows the condensate to flow in only one direction
  • The flow rate, measured at the air conditioner, must be at least 1.0 GPM (3.8 LPM) but no more than 4.6 GPM (17.4 LPM)
    • Flow rates less than 1.0 GPM (3.8 LPM) may result in improper removal of the condensate
    • Flow rates greater than 4.6 GPM (17.4 LPM) may result in a restriction of water flow to the air conditioner
    • Always refer to the air conditioner's Owner's manual or Product Data Sheet to determine the correct water flow for proper operation of the Marvair air conditioner
  • Installation:
    • The CR330 is installed into the outlet water line of the Marvair air conditioner
    • The discharge water flows through the CR330 to the overboard thru hull fitting
    • Condensate from the drain pan flows into the CR330 and is pulled overboard by the discharge water from the air conditioner
    • Included in the installation materials are 1/4” clear tubing and 5/8” clear tubing
    • Various lengths of this tubing must be cut to connect the components
    • To optimize the performance of the system, be sure to follow the recommendations for the lengths of tubing
    • Locate the outlet (discharge) water line on your Marvair air conditioner
      • Follow the water line, looking for a suitable place to install the CR330
      • I would not leave the AC running unattended with the intact value below the waterline either. The domestic product would not sink the boat, that intake value open would with and hose or pump failure.

The PO of my boat installed a product like this in the saloon hatch.

yes. I have one and am contemplating where to put it. I also have the louvered hatch board left over from a previous boat I am going to cut down to fit hatch board three’s position. It might leak under certain rain directions but the Bimini May shade it enough.

• Helpful
Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
My AC unit sits forward of the fresh water tank. The water pump for the AC sits under the drawers in the forward cabin. The condensation pan is above the pump exit line so it naturally drains down. The water exits the hull above the water line next to the anchor locker drain. The system works well. I have never had any issue with it.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
My AC unit sits forward of the fresh water tank. The water pump for the AC sits under the drawers in the forward cabin. The condensation pan is above the pump exit line so it naturally drains down. The water exits the hull above the water line next to the anchor locker drain. The system works well. I have never had any issue with it.
First, thanks to all for the posts. They are all helpful to me. During nap time, my brain was contemplating waterlines. My pump is under the galley sink. Your location is better. The AC discharge is above the waterline so if I mounted the CR 330 Venturi there by the AC, it would be above the waterline so would not backflow even if the check valve stuck open. Seems like the most sanitary solution to AC condensate draining. Defender has the unit for $150.00. Going with that solution.
now for ventilation and mildew.
once the bilge is dry, and it stays that way due to installation of CatalinaDirect Pacific “Green Slime” drip less packing I installed on haul out, it stays dry without AC on. I bought a 6” solar vent from Amazon. It looks really good. Has an on off switch and two fan blades. Robust li ion battery that can be changed out. For $65 it was a steal.
all things considered, cutting a 5” hole in the salon small opening hatch just behind the mast is the best option. If I mess up, I send the hatch to hatch masters for new plexiglass. If I mess up a 5” hole in the deck, well not good.
I am good to go with two excellent solutions. Thanks again to all for your input. Helping myself and those that follow is why I post. Not to mention being a better caretaker of a great boat built with pride by the fine people of Catalina Yachts.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Hopefully your drip pan will not corrode out.

Why would it corrode?

Condensate water is demineralize water and loves to corrode things faster.:(

Agreed that if the Venturi draw failed, the full pan would over flow to your Bilge Pump.

My new unit drip pan is a composite and not metal.;)
Jim...

PS: It would take many weeks of condensate water to sink a boat.:pimp:
Yes, my condensate pan is metal and is showing signs of rust. I haven’t checked how bad it is yet, but I may be able to clean it up enough and coat it with some epoxy barrier coat I have left over. Composite pan is muy bueno.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Our boat has the Dometic venturi system and it works as advertised. As Don mentioned, there is no way for the condensate drain to sink our boat, it pulls water from the drip pan when the AC cooling water pump is running. As far as the mildew issue, we spent a couple of days with spray bleach cleaning it away when we first got our boat. Once a year we use the NosGuard Boat Odor Eliminator (chlorine dioxide bombs) to get rid of any lingering mustiness. We keep DampRid bags hanging in her all the time too. Congrats on your boat. You will love it. Used to sail on Lake Hefner a million years ago.
I had not heard of eith Damp Rid or Nos guard. Have them in my to do book now.
I am after the mildew every time I stick my head in a new place, but it is everywhere. This fall I’m going to strip the inside, take out the floor boards spray it down and power wash everything. Then I’m going to replace all the hoses which are covered with mold and disgusting. I’ll beat back neglect eventually.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Great post, my setup is identical but my drain is the fwd bilge. I'll look at the drain pain closer now for sure.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
Great post, my setup is identical but my drain is the fwd bilge. I'll look at the drain pain closer now for sure.
My current condensate line drain runs to the forward bilge and this keeps the bilge wet. Based on all these comments, using a CR330 Venturi system mounted in the loop by the AC unit under the forward berth, it will be above the waterline. Seems like the most elegant solution for my needs.