A story of the engine that could.... Then didn't…NOW DOES

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
With that thought in mind, the engine suddenly increased RPM’s and surged. Oh know. Fuel starvation. Damn. :yikes:
I shut her down and cursed. So close.
Well I have my next work project. Inspect the fuel lines. Damn. I just put in new fuel lines. Where could the issue be lurking.
Or maybe your fuel tank is empty? ;):facepalm:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
YES… Certainly my patience tank is seeing too much stress.

It is always good to be on the boat and visiting with other boat owners.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Surging rpm's is often a sign of air in the fuel lines. I would check that. Given that all of your hoses have been replaced it is not unrealistic to think that one of the connections could be sucking air. You can test for an air leak by shutting off the fuel at the tank and then using a vacuum pump put pull a vacuum on the line closest to the high-pressure pump. If it will not hold a small vacuum, you have a leak.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Does Hadley have an electric fuel lift pump. If so, you could attach a length of clear hose to see if any bubbles are coming through. Take the line off where it inters the injection pump and with a barb coupler, add the clear line and run it back to the fuel fill. Run the pump and watch for bubbles.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Could it be air trapped in the high side of a new fuel line that is finally working its way out being it want under a significant load?

Oct 22, 2014
Could be.
I am going with all possibilities. Plan to head up to the boat next week to begin to sort out the problem. I’ll start at the tanks and work my way towards the high pressure pump. There really are no shortcuts to getting the system right.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes. My Hindsight is 20/20.:biggrin:
Mine is only 40/30 and I have to throw in a day & a half delay.

Don't forget this elusive:
Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Check Ball Valve
Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Check Ball Valve
and
Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Ball Check Valve

Plus you say it starts (started) and runs. IIRC, didn't this whole adventure begin with injectors? I'm sure you're comfortable that they got those correct.

John, if it's air in the lines, that will make it STOP, not surge. A dollop of air with stop the engine, however small it is.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I've had air in the lines before and it caused the engine to surge momentarily, right before it stopped.
Good point, Alan. IIRC, after the surge, John said HE stopped the engine, not that it did it by itself. Maybe something for him to check: start engine, if surge reappears see if engine keeps running....

Oct 22, 2014
Stu and Alan. Both are solid points of query.

The diesel engine surge behavior is not a new thing to me. 5plus years ago I had that experience. It was associated with old contaminated fuel blocking the filters. :confused:Then I changed filter and cleared the fuel lines of a jelly like blob that constricted flow at the Primary filter.:yikes:

I learned then that the best solution is to stop the engine and inspect the system for the cause.

I did stop the engine in this case. I attempted a restart with no success. With my time limited I closed up the boat and headed home into the Friday afternoon Seattle traffic.

I’m heading back up to the boat on Tuesday and will check the fuel system. My knowledge base (acquired here at SBO and DIY activities) and improved fuel management systems should be helpful in making this a less arduous task. I suspect air is getting into the fuel flow. Just not sure where. The fuel lines from tank to on engine filter are new. The fuel control valves are old. The on engine fuel lines have been removed/replaced/removed etc. several times. They are included in the suspect list.

The fuel in the tank is more than 18 months old and though on inspection looked ok, I know that when the boat flood the tanks were submerged. Samples of the fuel showed no traces of water. No water is seen in the Racor filter. I will be looking again at the fuel in the tanks.

I will keep you all in the loop. Thank you for your thoughts and ideas.:biggrin:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i would start with the on engine fuel line seals. they can be easily twichted out of alignment when putting together.

also, the banjo washers on the return flow are to never be reused, ever.

just two problem areas from my experience with my own perkins 105.

good luck john

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
'eye candy' thread was second to boat babe i'm thinking