A lost art: Conserving ice.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
On your surface prep: Is the surface in good condition and is it an oil-based finish like varnish or urethane? If it is, don't sand much. Just get the old finish clean, flat and smooth. You probably won't need more than one or two coats. Don't sand too much just achieve making the surface flat. Then roll and tip.
For the most part my surfaces are in good condition, I'm just starting to get some checking in the finish and in some areas some changes in coloration in the finish. There are some areas, like the entrance companionway ladder that show much more wear but that is solid wood and not the finish veneer used on the interior doors and such. I'm more concerned with conserving the "artwork"...

Now, as to what the original finish is, I don't know but I might be able to find out. The boat was built in 1984 in southern Spain and the original builder is still alive. I can ask him or one of his children. They have been answering folks questions. That's where I'll start.

On the other hand if you have a finish to remove be very careful not to go through veneer. Don't sand much!
That's a major concern - it's all custom veneer work and really lovely....

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
For the most part my surfaces are in good condition, I'm just starting to get some checking in the finish and in some areas some changes in coloration in the finish. There are some areas, like the entrance companionway ladder that show much more wear but that is solid wood and not the finish veneer used on the interior doors and such. I'm more concerned with conserving the "artwork"...

Now, as to what the original finish is, I don't know but I might be able to find out. The boat was built in 1984 in southern Spain and the original builder is still alive. I can ask him or one of his children. They have been answering folks questions. That's where I'll start.

That's a major concern - it's all custom veneer work and really lovely....

dj
Sounds like you're in luck, then. I'd bet the prepped old finish would hold varnish or urethane.

Even if the old finish has started to check or craze below in my boat I just prep and coat it. The old finish looks great under a new coat or two.

It sounds like a nicely finished boat so worth preserving that work.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sounds like you're in luck, then. I'd bet the prepped old finish would hold varnish or urethane.

Even if the old finish has started to check or craze below in my boat I just prep and coat it. The old finish looks great under a new coat or two.

It sounds like a nicely finished boat so worth preserving that work.
Are you fishing for pictures? Hahahahha - here comes one anyway!

dj
Stateroom2.jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
You now have no excuse for not having a cold beer to hand out when we stop by.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
My wife saw the picture and she now wants a set of steps so she can reach the bottom of our refrigerator.