60 best Boats 30' and under

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
"Comfort ratio" is a calculation that does not actually reflect how a boat really behaves in bouncy situations. It sounds more comforting than it actually is. Hull shape, which has a big impact on pitching, yawing, and heeling, is not part of the equation. Ted Brewer, who cooked it up, notes that it is for comparing SIMILAR hull types. The boats on your list are not all similar hull types. Ted Brewer Yacht Design
If you like boats that perform well in windy situations and need an enclosed head, J/30's should be on your list as well. J/29's might be a bit quicker, but on the J/30 it is nice to be able to stand up down below.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
"Comfort ratio" is a calculation that does not actually reflect how a boat really behaves in bouncy situations. It sounds more comforting than it actually is. Hull shape, which has a big impact on pitching, yawing, and heeling, is not part of the equation. Ted Brewer, who cooked it up, notes that it is for comparing SIMILAR hull types. The boats on your list are not all similar hull types. Ted Brewer Yacht Design
If you like boats that perform well in windy situations and need an enclosed head, J/30's should be on your list as well. J/29's might be a bit quicker, but on the J/30 it is nice to be able to stand up down below.
The J-30 is a modern classic for sure. Just be sure to measure the actual headroom, and also stand (and sit...) in the head compartment. We looked at one before finding our Olson, and being 6'2" it was not a good fit for me at all.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The J-30 is a modern classic for sure. Just be sure to measure the actual headroom, and also stand (and sit...) in the head compartment. We looked at one before finding our Olson, and being 6'2" it was not a good fit for me at all.
You must be sailing in a light-air venue. When the J/30 heels in a breeze, there's plenty of headroom below. :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Room in the head is a big deal for me. Get rid of the stupid nav station and give me a proper space to do my business. I’ve spent some time on a Tartan 33 and after squeezing into the head sitting position, my back is laying on the cold aluminum mast. The Tartan 37 wasn’t much better. I spent 17 days on a Four Winns 50’ yacht and the crew head was barely usable. Without going into detail swamp butt was on board. Sadists!
Head room in the head? Yeah! Ever try to pull your pants up while stooping after pooping? Doesn’t work. My H356 was very good in this respect.
I sailboat designers give short shrift to things like head space. bunk length and width, and space around a dining table. Mostly because buyers don’t focus on those parameters. Buyers ask “How many does she sleep?” Or focus on electronic goodies like 16” MFD displays.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Heads can be too big or too small. As folks have noticed too small makes life more challenging. Too big means there is too much room to bounce around in while in a seaway. Whoever thought the standard 12" marine toilet bowl was a good size must have been a sadist or a practical joker. Fortunately the head on our Sabre is just the right size and was large enough to install a standard size bowl.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Whoever thought the standard 12" marine toilet bowl was a good size must have been a sadist or a practical joker.
It's funny you mention that. When I look at the ads for every used Catalina sailboat in sizes up to 40' they all have that same ridiculous jabsco marine toilet with the manual pump and seawater intake. I don't get it ... how are their customers accepting this? The first project I did on mine was to replace the marine toilet for a standard size, freshwater plumbed, electric flush model. Sue didn't want to lose standing room space so I had to cut the panel open behind the toilet and make a modification to make space for the fittings when I moved the toilet further back. The pedestal wasn't deep enough anyway so I had to push the toilet back just enough for the footprint of the toilet.

I would guess that Catalina eventually got with a better program in their newer models but even as late as 2002, I see the same cheap toilet model in all the boats.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It's funny you mention that. When I look at the ads for every used Catalina sailboat in sizes up to 40' they all have that same ridiculous jabsco marine toilet with the manual pump and seawater intake. I don't get it ... how are their customers accepting this? The first project I did on mine was to replace the marine toilet for a standard size, freshwater plumbed, electric flush model. Sue didn't want to lose standing room space so I had to cut the panel open behind the toilet and make a modification to make space for the fittings when I moved the toilet further back. The pedestal wasn't deep enough anyway so I had to push the toilet back just enough for the footprint of the toilet.

I would guess that Catalina eventually got with a better program in their newer models but even as late as 2002, I see the same cheap toilet model in all the boats.
The cost difference between an OEM price on a Jabsco vs Raritan Superfluous vs Raritan Elegance is significant. The wholesale prices are,
$215.44 vs $455.87 vs $1029.27 respectively. In a price competitive market, every dollar counts. As a consumer I'd rather the money be put in to more important boat systems, like rigging, hull structure, electrical, than a head I can easily replace. I also suspect that newer boat owners and those without much live aboard experience would not put toilet size and quality high on the list. Pretty fabric on the cushions will get more attention than toilet bowl size, until one sits on each.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
How is it that a boat with a longer longer waterline (and more wetted surface) has better performance?
Here is a picture that illustrates hull speed. Basically your bow pushes water away. That water rushes back in to create another wave. If your stern can ride that wave like a surfboard, you can keep going faster. At some faster speed (hull speed) your stern has already passed the point where the water rushes back in and now you are stuck simply pushing more and more water away with no stern wave to surf on. The longer your boat is, the faster you can go before your outrun your own stern wave.
rvaluepf.jpg

HullSpeed_Wave-1539593389.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My and my wife’s search criteria once upon a time was wheel steering (her), inboard diesel (me) and fully enclosed head (her). Newport 28 and Islander 30 are two small boats that I know meet those criteria; of course there are likely others there that do, but many do not. Islander (Bahama) 30 is the “roomier.” (The type of toilet was not a criterion. :rolleyes:) But as mentioned, those models are quite old.

I also noticed the Cape Dory 28 is absent the list. CD28 is a tiller boat, but a very nice sailing craft and pretty, IMO. Heavier if that’s so important.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I read many years ago, in the early ‘90’s, the story of a fellow’s search a family sailboat for the Washington state area. He discussed many criteria but ultimately settled upon the Tartan 30, as I remember. Good read.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
My and my wife’s search criteria once upon a time was wheel steering (her), inboard diesel (me) and fully enclosed head (her). Newport 28 and Islander 30 are two small boats that I know meet those criteria; of course there are likely others there that do, but many do not. Islander (Bahama) 30 is the “roomier.” (The type of toilet was not a criterion.) But as mentioned, those models are quite old.

I also noticed the Cape Dory 28 is absent the list. CD28 is a tiller boat, but a very nice sailing craft and pretty, IMO.
Many then did not have furling headsails, radar, chart plotters, autopilot, or refrigeration, etc. Now there’s more to include or perhaps add on as criteria. Did have depth sounder and speed log.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I always find these "best boats" discussions interesting. But I also find they are typically limited to a few of the more well-known names in boats. While this is good for owners of those boats to help increase the sale price - "Hey, see here? My boat is listed in the top XX on this list"...

But what I find we don't do a very good job of is talking about the features one would want, and then why are we choosing these boats using what kind of criteria... But I guess that is a big ask...

dj

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah, the well-known brands are the ones that the most people buy b/c they’re in that “sweet spot” price range. So all very similar in fundamentals. I don’t recall anyone recommending a Baba 30 ($$) or Pacific SeaCraft Orion (27), even for those wishing to sail across the Atlantic as you have done.

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
This list is growing. Another heavy weight contender (full keel) in the 27 foot range is the Nor'Sea 27. There is a good YouTube channel of one that was trailer sailed around the US https://www.youtube.com/@svguenevere/videos
I do like the Nonsuch 30. They are very well built, great interior and easy to sail, except jibing in a blow. My mother raced on one for a while and the skipper said her real job was to make sure he didn't get killed by the main sheet in a jibe.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I had a Hunter 280 on Lake Michigan…it was a fun boat, checked most of my boxes….wheel steering, inboard diesel, enclosed head…and she sailed ok…

But the boat was a little light for me, lacked a decent galley, and was the epitome of a “plastic bottle”. No character at all. She was my first boat, and she needed very little maintenance…so from that perspective, she was a good first boat. I actually saw Obsession for sale recently…
IMG_0208_Original.jpeg

After I sold the H280, I bought an O’Day 322…10 years older, but heavier and with a bit of character:)

She is 32’ long overall, so too big for your criteria unfortunately. I like the galley and head, and she feels more substantial the H280…she ways about 2,000 pounds more I think. I feel way more comfortable on Tally Ho in rough weather. I think there is an O’Day 322 for sale somewhere on Lake Michigan.

IMG_2170_Original.jpeg

But 3-second wave period and steep waves are not going to be comfortable on any pleasure boat.

Good luck on the search!

Greg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I read many years ago, in the early ‘90’s, the story of a fellow’s search a family sailboat for the Washington state area. He discussed many criteria but ultimately settled upon the Tartan 30, as I remember. Good read.
That book was, I believe, Chuck Gustafson, How to Buy the Best Sailboat, 1985 and 1991. Other authors have written newer ones, I noticed on Amazon. Not really recommending it here, just commenting on some of its content relative to your investigation.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
To the OP - I’ve been trying to ignore this question but the header keeps popping up. “60 best boats…”. :oops: why not just say “can you even think of 60 boats”?
Best? No such thing, as all boats have design and build compromises that need to be considered in view of your intended primary use AND location, and budget.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I guess because most of us have displacement hull sailboats nobody has mentioned the Pogo 30. That's a pretty amazing boat, but maybe not what the OP is looking for .. I was anchored next to one in Horta...

dj