60 best Boats 30' and under

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm putting together a list of boats including their basic specs in order to narrow down my search. Am I missing any production boats that are worthy?

Beneteau First 305​
Beneteau Oceanis 281​
Cal 2-29​
Canadian Sailcraft 30​
Catalina 27​
Catalina 28​
Catalina 30 TRBS​
Chris-Craft Apache 37​
Islander 30​
Kirie Elite 30​
ODay 25​
Pearson 30​
Pearson 303​
S2 9.2​
Vancouver 27​
Columbia 28​
Beneteau First 30E​
J/29​
C&C 29-2​
C&C 29​
C&C 30​
Baba 30​
Ranger 30​
ODay 27​
ODay 30​
ODay 28​
Oday 290​
Oday 272​
Cal 29​
Cal 27​
Pearson 28-2 (85-89)​
Pearson 28 (80-82)​
Bayfield 29 (full Keel)​
Freedom 30​
Farr 30​
Kirby 30​
Precision 30​
Precision 27​
Cape Dory Intrepid 28​
Sabre 30-1​
Sabre 30-2​
Sabre 30-3​
Tartan 30​
Morgan Out Island 28​
Morgan 30-2 (72-76)​
Pearson 27​
Sabre 28 MKII​
Sabre 28 MKIII​
Sabre 28 MKI​
Mirage 30​
Mirage 29​
Mirage 275​
Frers 30​
Newport 28​
Newport 28-2​
Newport 30-3​
Yankee 30​
Yankee 30 MKII​
Yankee 30 MKIII​
Dufour 29​
Dufour 30/31​
Tartan 3000​
Pearson Flyer​

Attachments

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
You have the C&C 30 but not the 27. You don't indicate which Mk# of the 30 either, there is a significant difference between the Mk I and Mk II. The Mk II is a much more modern boat. The MK I is a scaled up version of the C&C 27 Mk I - IV. By most counts the C&C 27 Mk I through IV is a better boat than the C&C 30 Mk I. The 27 Mk V is a different boat. I owned a C&C 27 Mk II for almost 20 years, cruising and racing. It was a fantastic blend of performance and comfort in a 1970s 27 footer. There is a very good reason close to 1000 boats were produced - the boat sails very well (even compared to today's similar sized cruiser/racers) and is comfortable for a family of 4 for an extended weekend cruise. If you are looking at the C&C 27 see if you can find a Mk III or Mk IV, they added a couple of feet to the mast and stretched the water line out which improved performance with no negative impacts.

The nicest boat under 30' I have been on was a Mirage 29. What a great layout and decent sailing. If you are looking for a good performing, comfortable cruising boat under 30', the Mirage 29 should be at the top of the list to check out.

The Pearson 30 Flyer is a very different beast. If you want the best bang for the buck in performance this would be a good choice, but not a comfortable cruising boat.

You have an extremely diverse set of boats in that list. Comparing a Frers 30 to a Morgan Out Island 28 would be ridiculous. Narrowing down you criteria before going any further would be a good idea. Sailboatdata.com has a refine search feature where you could play with values like SA/D and Disp/Length. If you want stability look for a low Capsize Ratio (under 2), if you want more performance look for higher SA/D.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
As others point out, you need to ID your criteria better.
Based on quality of design and build, I would want the Yamaha 30, Ericson 30-2, Ericson 30+, and the smaller sizes like the Ericson 28, E-27, and E-29. Also and for sure the Olson 911-S.
But if you add boats without knowing their design and construction particulars , you will end up comparing apples to walnuts..... or worse.
:)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
@DArcy Thanks for the tips on the different revisions of the C&C boats! This is exactly the insight I was hoping for!
@FastOlson I'm shocked that I missed all of the Ericsons! I'll definitely check out the Olson

Budget is 30k, preferably closer to 20k. Slip costs double if I go over 30' LOA, otherwise I'd be buying something bigger in a heartbeat.

The main reason for the upgrade is comfort in heavier waves. Anything over 2-2.5' and less than 3 seconds apart is uncomfortable in an O'Day 25. It's also pretty slow, especially when it's dragging two props in the water (one of many items to fix on the to-do list). It would be used as a daysailor with occasional over nighting. I love heavy weather sailing. Enclosed head is a must. Trailer is nice but not essential. Inboard is nearly essential. I'd lean more towards gas as I'm more familiar with them but I'm open to diesel.

With that said I have sailed on an Apache 37 and it was a dream. The waves were as high as our heads and we were sitting around chatting like the water was flat. It was also much faster than my O'Day. The Atomic 30 was incredibly quiet. I also did a sea trial of a Catalina 30 TRBS. It was much more comfortable than the O'Day. It sailed nicely and the interior is fantastic. I've been compiling specs based on the listings on Sailboat Guide — Discover your dream boat. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the specs and what they mean. How much emphasis should I put on their "comfort ratio"? I'm guessing hull speed, SA/Displacement I'm guessing aren't the only specs related to performance. How is it that a boat with a longer longer waterline (and more wetted surface) has better performance?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How is it that a boat with a longer longer waterline (and more wetted surface) has better performance?
Read about displacement hulls, which is what most sailboats have. Then read about hull form and wave parting. Long skinny boats are generally faster than short stubby boats. Sport boats and boats designed to plane are a different kettle of fish.

Rather than rely on the numbers, understand what the designer/builder was trying to achieve. Also have some understanding of the racing handicaps of an era, even boats designed as racer/cruisers or family sailors were influenced by handicapping rules. Some rules, like IOR produced funky designs. Other boats were built to be price competitive. Some boats were built to appeal to a non sailing spouse and are designed around creature comforts first, sailing characteristics second.

The trouble with using numbers to describe something as complex in function as a sailboat is they lead to misinterpretation and exaggeration, is a boat with a comfort rating of 1.9 really that much more uncomfortable than a boat with a 2.1 ratio? Is a boat with a PHRF handicap of 172 really much slower than one with a 166? Numbers give us a false sense of confidence in our knowledge of that factor.

Since you like bashing about in Great Lakes waves, the first consideration should be build quality. What is builder's reputation for quality? Eliminate any boats that were, as the sayings go, "built to price" or "a lot boat for the money."

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's an interesting list for a couple of reasons. Foremost to me is that there is hardly a boat on it that is still in production. Has the industry abandoned the 30' performance cruiser market? You can find 30' sport boats but I'm having trouble thinking of a performance cruiser.
You would be hard pressed to find a way to spend 30 K on many of those. If the OP wants inward power he should probably budget for a re-power right off the bat for many of the boats of that vintage.
The best boat I ever went out bashing waves in is the C&C 27 Mark 1(Although I'm not sure it was called the Mark 1). The owner and I went out on a crappy day in our foulies, a more than adequate supply of beer, and slammed into waves for hours longer than made any sense. The boat didn't mind a bit. And it was fun.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
If your boat is for heavy weather on Lake Michigan, I would eliminate all boats on your list under 30' unless they are full keel and comfort factor over 20. If you like performance and single-handing, then expand the list and eliminate the ones that are built more for comfort. Your list seems to be indiscriminate and scattered across a broad range of priorities. I'll suggest that you should not dismiss Starwind 27 (masthead rig) or Precision 27 or 28 (fractional rigs). These boats have a very good design pedigree and I would choose them over many of the similar-sized boats on your list. But reality dictates that you will be limited to the models that are conveniently located for sale and, of course, condition, condition, condition usually dictates the best purchase opportunities.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The best boat I ever went out bashing waves in is the C&C 27 Mark 1(Although I'm not sure it was called the Mark 1). The owner and I went out on a crappy day in our foulies, a more than adequate supply of beer, and slammed into waves for hours longer than made any sense. The boat didn't mind a bit. And it was fun.
I will second that. I woke up one morning on my C&C 27 to a building wind. I was waiting for the wind to settle down, having my coffee, but it kept building. By the time I pulled up anchor the wind was in the high 40 knot range with regular gusts over 50. And, of course, I had to sail into it to get home. I double reefed the main and hunkered down. The boat was happy and just kept sailing the 9 miles home.

A couple years later I decided to head out by myself for a day sail. The wind was in the mid 20s and I set off on a reach. I averaged over 7 knots out and back covering about 25 miles in a few hours.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Eliminate any boats that were, as the sayings go, "built to price"
Pretty much all the boats we are talking about here were "built to a price." My Ericson, which for whatever reason has a reputation as being a cut above other boats build in the 70's and 80's, most certainly was. This becomes evident when you start tearing into it to retrofit and/or correct some of the cost-savings measures done by the builders. While it's true that some brands were worse than others--and often this varied by model year, depending upon what was happening at the company at the time--we shouldn't kid ourselves about this.

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Asking which boats should be in a "best under 30'" list is just one step away from the dreaded "should I varnish or let the teak go natural?" thread!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Pretty much all the boats we are talking about here were "built to a price." My Ericson, which for whatever reason has a reputation as being a cut above other boats build in the 70's and 80's, most certainly was. This becomes evident when you start tearing into it to retrofit and/or correct some of the cost-savings measures done by the builders. While it's true that some brands were worse than others--and often this varied by model year, depending upon what was happening at the company at the time--we shouldn't kid ourselves about this.
Of course all boats are built to a price, with that price defining a particular market segment. Sabres and Tartans were built for a different market segment than Hunter and O'Day and their prices reflected that. A fair question to ask when there are significant price (original new boat) differences between 2 similarly sized boats intended for similar purposes, why is one boat more expensive than the other?

Sometimes the differences are due to increased build efficiencies. Beneteau was a pioneer in using CNC machines to cut the plywood. They were able to cut labor costs, ensure greater uniformity in the parts, and reduce waste. They reduced costs while keeping quality high. Other manufacturers cut costs in other ways by using the minimum scantlings, taking less time to finish the glass leaving raw edges, using less expensive hardware store plumbing, installing a Jabsco rather than a Raritan Head, and by using welding cable instead of tinned marine wire and cable, and so on. Some of those cost cutting methods have a trivial effect on the overall quality of the build while others may have a more pronounced effect on the boat's quality.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Pretty much all the boats we are talking about here were "built to a price." My Ericson, which for whatever reason has a reputation as being a cut above other boats build in the 70's and 80's, most certainly was.
not sure that description “cut above” doesn’t also apply to every production boat including Sabres and Tartans.

Over the decades, we’ve owned lots of boats but our old E27 was definitely built better and stronger and sailed better than most since then.

Often the case the choice of which boat brand to buy or which boats to put on a shopping list is made based on the nameplate rather than how well it has been maintained and upgraded along the way. Two generally mutually exclusive considerations which many buyers often fail to appreciate.

Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
I'm putting together a list of boats including their basic specs in order to narrow down my search. Am I missing any production boats that are worthy?

Beneteau First 305​
Beneteau Oceanis 281​
Cal 2-29​
Canadian Sailcraft 30​
Catalina 27​
Catalina 28​
Catalina 30 TRBS​
Chris-Craft Apache 37​
Islander 30​
Kirie Elite 30​
ODay 25​
Pearson 30​
Pearson 303​
S2 9.2​
Vancouver 27​
Columbia 28​
Beneteau First 30E​
J/29​
C&C 29-2​
C&C 29​
C&C 30​
Baba 30​
Ranger 30​
ODay 27​
ODay 30​
ODay 28​
Oday 290​
Oday 272​
Cal 29​
Cal 27​
Pearson 28-2 (85-89)​
Pearson 28 (80-82)​
Bayfield 29 (full Keel)​
Freedom 30​
Farr 30​
Kirby 30​
Precision 30​
Precision 27​
Cape Dory Intrepid 28​
Sabre 30-1​
Sabre 30-2​
Sabre 30-3​
Tartan 30​
Morgan Out Island 28​
Morgan 30-2 (72-76)​
Pearson 27​
Sabre 28 MKII​
Sabre 28 MKIII​
Sabre 28 MKI​
Mirage 30​
Mirage 29​
Mirage 275​
Frers 30​
Newport 28​
Newport 28-2​
Newport 30-3​
Yankee 30​
Yankee 30 MKII​
Yankee 30 MKIII​
Dufour 29​
Dufour 30/31​
Tartan 3000​
Pearson Flyer​
Hunter 29.5 owners say good things about them. We like ours.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
there is only one winner on "your" list

Ta Da. View attachment 222311

S&S design. world class, that loves lake michigan
I'm guessing that's the Apache 37? It's a beast of a boat. The owner claims to take it out in 10' waves. After sailing it I believe him 100%. If slip costs weren't so high in Chicago I'd be looking for one. To be honest, I'd be happy with a comfort rating of a Catalina 30 which is around 24