60 best Boats 30' and under

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
When I was in the market for the boat I have now I pretty much did what dLj says above. I looked through Yachtworld and other sites seeing what was available in my price range for the size of boat I wanted, looked at specs on sailboatdata.com. like you I already had a boat so I was not in a rush. I spent 2 years looking at boats until I stepped aboard my Freeport 36. When I saw it and took it for a sail I was sold.

The numbers tell you part of the story but it really comes down to an emotional decision. I wanted a boat I would be comfortable sailing in my local waters but also in the great lakes and extended cruises one my youngest daughter finishes high school. I didn't have a good feeling of a boat I would be comfortable spending more time on until I stepped aboard.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a larger boat with an unstayed mast.
There’s the Freedom 40 (circa 1995). I’d call it “larger.” There’s one a few docks from me that I have sailed on. Beautiful yacht that the owner has upgraded over the past two years. But as you said, it’s an old design that is likely not in production anywhere in models these days, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Just saw this 27-footer on FB market place…

Greg

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
The Cherubini's also had a steel keel if I'm not mistaken? This should receive some interesting responses on a Hunter heavy forum
The Cherubini designed Hunter 30’s produced from 1974 to 1983 have an external mounted lead keel. None were steel or iron that I know of. You may be thinking of the infamous piece of steel in the bilge under the compression post which has already been addressed on most surviving H30’s. They’re otherwise quite well designed, sturdy, with solid glass hulls, and are generally pretty simple to maintain and sail.
There have been two excellent reviews of the John Cherubini designed Hunter 30 published in recent years by Good Old Boat May/June 2017 and Practical Sailor June 2016. They were built to a price point for sure, but are arguably in the category of “Classic Plastic” and have a bit of a cult following.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The Cherubini designed Hunter 30’s produced from 1974 to 1983 have an external mounted lead keel. None were steel or iron that I know of. You may be thinking of the infamous piece of steel in the bilge under the compression post which has already been addressed on most surviving H30’s. They’re otherwise quite well designed, sturdy, with solid glass hulls, and are generally pretty simple to maintain and sail.
There have been two excellent reviews of the John Cherubini designed Hunter 30 published in recent years by Good Old Boat May/June 2017 and Practical Sailor June 2016. They were built to a price point for sure, but are arguably in the category of “Classic Plastic” and have a bit of a cult following.
Is there any chance I could join you for a sail next season?