5hp Nissan 2-Stroke Outboard not starting after running dry

Jun 11, 2016
S2 9.2A Lake Champlain
I have a 5hp Nissan NS5B probably circa mid 1990's or so....had some problems early in the season and needed a carb replacement. Did that, everything was great for a couple weeks and then after a particularly energetic sail about two weeks ago (and while trying to get the dink in fast enough to catch a waiting ferry!) I forgot to open the air vent on the internal fuel tank, so she ran dry. I rowed the rest of the way and no, I didn't make the ferry.

Now though, I can't get her to start. I've searched forums and read the manual and cannot find how to "prime" the engine like I would if it were an external tank with primer bulb.

Any advice would be appreciated....thanks!

-ML

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a Nissan NS3.5B- a little brother to your 5hp. I have never had that problem and I have forgotten to open the air vent on occasion. And I always run the carb dry by shutting off the fuel. I have had carb problems but if you have replaced the entire carb this year I wouldn't expect that to be a problem. Just to be sure, I would open the carb bowl drain screw and verify that fuel runs out. That would prove that the fuel is flowing. With an internal gravity tank it is self-priming. Do you have an external tank option? If so, you probably have a fuel pump that could be a problem.

Jun 11, 2016
S2 9.2A Lake Champlain
Thanks Rich....I'll try that. As far as I know there is no external tank option. I'd love one, aside from the cost of buying the tank and fittings, because the internal tank holds just a few round-trips more or less with people to tender, so I'm always filling her up. Well, when she's running I should say.

Jun 11, 2016
S2 9.2A Lake Champlain
Turns out it was the gas delivery switch all along. It had come loose and no longer switched successfully between on and off! Seems to be running just fine now, but this experience has reminded me yet again that reliability on my two engines (outboard on the dink, inboard diesel on the boat) is really at the top of my mind. I'm going to watch this one carefully the remainder of the season and then make a decision about potential replacement for next year and beyond.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Hard to beat the advantages of a good running two stroke. I'd keep it going if I could for as long as possible. One issue with internal tanks is the low spot on the tank is where fuel feed to the carb. Any water or crud goes right to the carb, so it's critical to keep the fuel clean. Try using a turkey baster to fill it. I use one for my alcohol stove and it helps avoid spilling the fuel.