Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Florida helmet law must be a covert scheme

to let George B win the next election cleanly. Think about it! Flying Dutchman

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Thanks for the reply, Ted

Ted, It looks like you're on a steep learning curve. I like your friends approach "...being 'be cruel to be kind'". Several years ago there was a teenager Robin Lee Graham circumnavigated (all or most of the way) in a Cal 24 called "Dove" during the early 1960s and was published in National Geographic. The Cal boats were built back when plastic boats had to prove themselves and were considered to be "overbuilt" from the fiberglass standpoint. Never the less, the skipper did a lot of work reinforcing the boat and fixing the weak links. Since then manufacturers have learned more about the strengths and weaknesses of fiberglass and have lightened up where ever they could. You'll no doubt have to reengineer everything as appropriate realizing your boat is different. Note also that the old Cals get a lot of respect. Here is a web site I found for what another small boat person: http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin2.html Good starting points for frequent failure items, i.e, weak links, to look at are rudders and rigs. Given that there is more to safe sailing than size alone, and given all that needs to be done, what about 2003? Good Luck.

P

Peter C.

Pick this boat!

If I wanted to cross the Atlantic in a "small" boat, my first choice would be a Westsail 32. Probably the best- built and most rugged production boat ever made. This is the same boat abandoned by its crew in the "Perfect Storm" only to wash up on a beach weeks later with minimal damage!

T

Tim Schaaf

Go Ted!!

Well, I just couldn't resist putting in my two cents worth....maybe because I am half British! Ted, we all have our comfort level regarding risk. My brother happily jumps out of planes, which I would never do, and I comfortably single hand offshore (in a Hunter), which he would never do. Some folks would do both, and many would try to pursuade us to do neither. It is up to you. But, don't expect others to bail you out....even though most other people WILL look to the emergency services to bail them out of their own little fiascos, no matter what they say! If you just want to have your boat in Britain, I would say ship it. You will probably spend as much, all told, to equip it properly and to sail it. BUT, if you are doing this for the experience, well, that is another matter, and only for you to decide. More important than the specific boat are its condition and the capabilities of the crew. I am familiar with the instructional course you are taking, and I think you are getting a good "immersion". The more experience the better, of course, but there is lot to be said for a hardy, resourceful spirit. Ask Tania Aebi, and John Neal, both of whom set out across oceans without even knowing to navigate, teaching themselves along the way. John went in a 28 foot Albin Vega, not thought of as being very tough back in those days. And, I would guess that some of the experiences you hint at indicate the requisite personal qualities. As for the boat, it may need some beefing up, in areas others have mentioned such as the rig and the steering. Think about hull and deck openings, like ports and hatches, and how to protect them. You might have to add some glass to the bulkead attachment points or some stiffeners somewhere, or the hull/deck joint, but I am not sufficiently familiar with the boat to comment. A naval architect, and SOME surveyors probably could. The hull/keel attachment is also of obvious importance. Remember, if you can just keep the people IN the boat, and the water OUT of it, you will make it. Different conditions simply make these goals more or less difficult or pleasant (bearable?) to achieve! If you do this, however, I think it would be a good idea to look at it from the basic perspective of an engineless boat, which is essentially what you will have. NO WORRIES, many engineless boats do just fine. But, forget about complicated electrics and electronics. Get a couple of battery powered GPS units, and turn them on a couple of times a day to get a position. Kind of like taking a sight once or twice a day with a sextant! Get a Walker log, which needs no electricity, for your DR. Get a couple of submersible handheld VHF radios, and attach them to your main antenna. Fifteen or twenty years ago, almost nobody had sophisticated electrical systems. Forget Ham or SSB, Radar or refrigeration, or showers. Racers (and other offshore types) used to budget less than a gallon of water per day per person. Wash with salt water. A sixty gallon tank was considered enough to get a whole crew from San Francisco to Hawaii!At that rate, you could fill a bunch of jerry jugs to augment your tank and do just fine. Tania Aebi did not have a watermaker...neither did the Roths, the Hiscocks, nor the Pardees. I do have a friend who had the manual version of PUR's Survivor 35 (in his very tough little 22 foot Falmouth Cutter), and he made a gallon of fresh water an hour, and kept his upper body in pretty good shape at the same time....choices! A flexible solar panel, which works in partial shading, could help you keep up with your most basic needs. No, you would not have electrical running lights....but before everyone screams, you could certainly have kerosene ones. As for self steering, get a windvane, no ifs or buts. Navik makes a nice little one that will do just fine. Actually that is what the father and son used in "My Old Man and the Sea", and it is often used in the Mini-Transat. It is French made (I know, I know)and is represented by Scanmar, here in the colonies. MUCH safer and more reliable than an autopilot.....I have both. If you have neither life raft nor dinghy, find yourself a Tinker. If the worse comes to the worst, you will be glad you have it. Otherwise, it is a great dinghy. Made by Henshaws of the UK, no less! Make sure you have a good sail inventory, and keep a journal. I am sure that ALLL of us will be interested! Look in your heart and see if you want to do this, for that is the only place you will find the answer. Without question, size DOES matter. As mentioned, the abandoned boats in the Fastnet were smaller ones....on the other hand, almost all were later found, floating just fine. If only their crews had had the nerve to hang on....easy to say, of course. BUT, small boats have made, and will continue to make, many passages, and the big old Titanic did sink. A lot of the people having the most fun "out there", are in small boats, that are not marina bound, waiting for crew or repairs. Of course, you probably know that. Most motorcycles don't get to go around Europe, either. It is all a matter of perspective (yours)....kind of like whether George W did or did not win the election. Fair winds. Enjoying this thread! And no, you are not nuts.

P

Pete

Westsail 32 Small?

There are a number of boats designed for crossings that are smaller than the Hunter (which definately isn't). The Contessa 26 comes to mind, as does the Flicka (22'?), and the Farthling (15'). It isn't the size, the Hunter 26.5 just isn't designed for that kind of use. Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.