26.5 hunter for the atlantic crossing

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

Babies

Tania Aebi sailed around the world in a 25 footer with an outboard and she didn't even know how to sail when she started. I remember back in the 60's a young kid did likewise leaving from the west coast and taking several years to finish the journey. PEriodically I read articles on brave people sailing a 8 foot bathtub from San Francisco to Japan, and so on. Byrd WALKED to the south pole because it was there. Hillary climbed Everest because it was there. There is no stopping the human spirit. People ROW across the atlantic frequently. I say go for it but don't expect anyone to help you when you get in trouble. You should be responsible for your own actions and face the consequences bravely. Dave

R

richj

my 2cents

Ted, Hey what ever floats your boat...(yes the pun was intended) A 26.5 Hunter is a "auxiliary sailing sloop" which basically means coastal cruiser, yes one can venture out 15-20 miles or so, on a good day, BUT it is NO WAY a "blue water" boat. Yes I will agree that folks have crossed the pond in boats simular in length, even smaller, BUT those boats were designed for the ocean, hence "Blue Water". I am inclosing a link to another web site, its all about "Blue Water" boats. what ever you decide, good luck

D

Dick Vance

Lost At Sea

"People ROW across the atlantic frequently." Unfortuately, one of those rowers has been missing for many days after his EPIRB went off......no trace. Dick

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Apples and oranges, Dave!

I am pretty sure that Tanya Aebi would not encourage Ted's proposed adventure. FYI Tanya Aebi sailed a Contessa 26, a full-keeled small vessel with 25 % more displacement than the Hunter 26.5 and almost 50 % more ballast! As I tried to point out in my previous post: simple scaling laws dictate going heavy when you want to build a small offshore vessel (at least when using conventional construction materials). I am all in favor (and have the sea miles to prove that) of pushing the offshore envelope of affordable production vessels so that the thrill of passagemaking does not remain the privilege of aging captains of industry or bored supermodels and rock stars. Passagemaking, however, should only be a major act of bravery for the really ill-prepared or faint-at-heart. From that perspective, it worries me to see someone encourage others to undertake life-threatening adventures by using the derogative term "babies". I presume you are not putting yourself in that category? If so, it might enhance your credibility if you could give us a better idea of your own offshore achievements rather than trying to hide behind Tanya Aebi or Columbus. Flying Dutchman

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
You can do lots of things

you can tie a bunch of weather baloons to a lawn chair and take them up to 10,000 ffet, too. It's been done. But that deosn't mean it's wise. While I half suspect this thread is a hoax, we might as well give Ted some thoughts on what you would (in theory) do if you absolutely _had_ to take a 26.5 across the Atlantic. Personally, I'd start by getting more life insurance, but there are many changes and additions you'd make to the boat, too. An interesting, if theoretical, discussion.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
More life insurance?

Phil: What the hell good is more life insurance going to do for Ted? Life insurance is for the living. I think most of us have already had the burial at sea<g>!

G

georgelakesiii@yahoo.com

Intelligence is

As someone once said; "Intelligence is the ability to recognize a mistake when you make it again." Give yourself the opportunity. ...........Ship it.

P

Peter Albright

Small boats

Came across this site on small boat atlantic crossings.

D

Dave

Derogatory terms??

My title "babies" was in reference to the teenagers I described in my note that shoved off with little or no experience and returned as adults with a lot of experience. It was not a derogatory comment aimed at anyone, merely a description of some of those that let their spirits soar. In today's world climate I wouldn't want to do a circumnavigation. Too many places I would not be welcome, it seems circumnavigation is getting limited to the southern ocean. I have no desire to visit say malasia, or india, or the countries around the red sea. I do insist that those who shove off on high risk journey's should not carry epirb's. Why should you expect to put into harm's way those that would attempt to rescue you for doing something rediculously dangerous. You should be responsible and accountable for your behaviour and not expect everyone else to bail you out. Would I sail a 26.5 transatlantic, absolutely not! Would I recommend a better boat for the journey, of course! Should I restrict the persons freedom to try to accomplish something possibly never before done, have a good trip! Dave

D

Dave

risk versus rewards

every time you leave the dock you are taking a risk. in fact every time you drive to the dock you are taking a big risk!! yet we all do it because the rewards in terms of personal satisfaction outweigh the risks. I went to one of the web sites recommended in this thread and a guy is sailing a 3'11" boat transatlantic. Can a Macgregor 26.5 be any more risk than that? I have to go put on my official boston red sox jockey shorts and watch game seven of the series. Have a good trip. Dave

R

Rick Webb

Two Different Issues Here

1. Could a 26' boat sail across the Atlantic? The answer is yes absolutely it could be made to do it safely and comfortably. 2. Is it financially justified to sail this boat across the Atlantic with proper outfitting as opposed to having it shipped? I am not sure about that one. The value of the adventure would be difficult to calculate. I once drove from San Antonio to San Diego with a buddy to get some cookies from his Mom and for him to get some "quality time" with his girl friend. Sure it would have been easier to fly but that was a story that has been retold so many times I almost believe we made it in 8 hours each way and that the Arizona and New Mexico Highway Patrols are still looking for us. While I do not know about the other, his Mom's cookies were very good.

T

ted

nooooooooomr.herring

'tis no hoax. i am some what overawed by the response to my original posting and cannot thank enough to the many contributors. perhaps i can thank by pointing out that there comments, encouragement, advice, technical and tales of experience will now be firmly and securely stored in your archives to be shared by hopefully many thousands ofothers who have that desire for adventure. here's to an even closerbond between great britain, her majesty's comonwealth and the united states of america. after september 11th what better way than through a superb sport and patime that knows no boundaries - this with your most excellent facility. sincerely, ted.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Ted: See Your Posting From Our View

Ted: "...'tis no hoax"? Mr. Herrings' comment was spot-on! As one who hasn't responded to your post/questions to this date I too thought it may have been a hoax, long before it was mentioned in the replies. After reading your questions and comments it was fairly apparent it was someone who either was playing games or didn't have a clue about bluewater sailing. If it was jerk playing games I wasn't going to be suckered in to wasting my time and if it was a naive newbie sailor I don't have enough time answer so many nebulous questions in support of such an adventure should it actually ever come to pass. Look at one of your questions: "is there anyone who could us some idea of the cost of the refit, necessary, not frivolous equipment, etc. tips re equipment, outboard engine, etc., etc." Anyone who contemplates such a trip needs to be self sufficient and needs to be able to do their own maintenance and repairs. This in itself requires a LOT of understanding about how things work. Judging from your question above there appears a lack of understanding of the forces such a vessel needs to withstand as your haven't even addressed bringing/having brought your vessel up to such a standard. Then there is your body and mind, what condition are they in? People have crossed oceans in all kinds of craft but there are others whom we don't know about that have never completed their trip. Your post gives no indication of someone who has really thought this through. So you've made some day sails and putzed along the coast, so what does that tell us? You could have picked some nice fair-weather days for all we know. A recommendation would be to do more research then come back with more specific questions. You might be able to do it but if "...'tis no hoax..." then given what I've read in your post, and between the lines, you've got a long ways to go on the learning curve. I wouldn't be "....some what overawed by the response to my original posting..." because it was an intelligent posting, but more au contraire. Hopefully your dreams will become reality - but safely. Cheerio!

T

ted

for john nentz

thanks again! no dead serious - life is ful of challenges and this one of them and i can assure tempered determination for one of my lifetime challenges is this one. took my 1932 b.s.a. m/bike on a 5500 mile hike round europe one time to expain a little more. told i was mad when starting to plan as well. early febuary doing a 17 week course at united kingdom sailing academy at cowes, isle of wight, england. actually quite a formidable syllabus including training in scuba to check bottom of the hull, etc., etc. leads to u.k. license to take up to 12 passengers on up to 24 metre sailboat. called royal yachting association yachtmaster offshore certificate with maritime and coast guard agency commercial endorsement. if of interest the academy is easily found with very detailed website with comprehensive description of the syllabus and some ten or so contributory statuatory body exams, etc. i know, sir, like many who have read and/or replied to my original post, i apear green to the challenge and until i have fulfiled the challenge this i will admit not only to myself, yourself and anyone else who knows what they are talking about. but gathering the confidence to do it, asking the right questions and finding out the information including resourses is perhaps the hardest work. the confidence is accumulating slowly! yes, anyone can pass an exam. application of the knowledge and skills ensuing are another matter and such as the course i am taking will only satisfy building a skeleton of what is necessary for my at present mid-life challenge. yes a fair bit of coastal pottering the last five years but several years of teen-age serious dinghy on heavy tides, etc. on the south coast of britain. hence boat handling and everything learnt in thos formative years well and firmly established to stand in great advantage to those of my 'big boat' years. friend of mine in britain who has done several long distance blue water trips skippering told me that if i found out all for myself, he will come with me. his attitude being 'be cruel to be kind' - i.e. put me through the mill and learn as much as possible for myself and get as much done as posible for myself and prove my determination. so, yes, i do not profess to be anything more than green to the challenge. four weeks will get me on track for most i have to know - if not the experience! a steady rush this coming 2002 - too much of the world to do and see. only to add re this sort of thing that perhaps being fairly capable in the past atheletically and a man who has worked the hills and dales of great britain for the living and the extreme pinnacles of the alps for relaxation during storm and tempest, i have found the challenges offered by tub and towel more luring every day. i hope that i may have cleared some of the impressions that may have been read into my original message. in any case, i have always found that modesty can be one's greatest attribute. please, sir, and anyone one else who can help to push myself and our boat in the right direction all knowledge and experience will be greatly appreciated. barnes and noble among other sources have ther orders to be picked up - or at least those i believe to be the right ones so far - but more please on this front as well. yours sincerely, ted. please, sir,

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
as I said "Crazy"

Ted: I suggest that if you think you want to try this passage, you try a couple of offshore adventures. Pick a target distance of say 300 miles offshore. This would take you about 5 days to go out and return. This should give you some idea of what is going to happen with this sized boat. It will also be a test of endurance. It will give you an idea of what it is going to be like to be out there for 4-6 weeks. Bye the way, do you know how many miles this trip should be? Do you have an estimated time for the trip?

T

ted

done 600 miles down into easter med.

thanks. did a trip from isle wight to athens some 15 years ago - fair weather and all that as one of honorary crew on 39'. cocktails were good along south of france! every one should do the trip some time! no, not definite re our 25.5 especially after knowledge gained from great people so far. homework list well in progress on all fronts. in touch with makers of kendal mint we use up the mountains to see re storage and suitability, etc. at sea. saw us out of one or two difficult spots some years ago. again, many thanks all 'elp more than welcome. ted.

T

ted

the passage - will let u know.

started the notes re the actual passage - will take a few days to get together some sound ideas. but will post progress on this front as i get them together - comments please. writing this - is a flotilla - war time called a convoy! - a good idea if enough people want to get together - could raise good money for charity - news media,etc. visions of 200 hundred mad hunter owners crossing the atlantic together. would amount to a great time at the irish landfall! yes, something like that if time and organization available, quite serious. ted.

M

marv otto

My Old Man

Check out the book "My Old Man And The Sea" by David and Daniel Hayts, published by Harper Perennial, 1995 They, father and son, adapted a 25 foot boat and sailed it, west to east, around Cape Horn.

P

Peter C.

Motorcycle Helmets!

Florida has a new law permitting motorcyclists to ride without helmets. Injury rates have risen significantly. Sailing the Atlantic in a 26' light displacement boat is in the same category... stupid and irresponsible! Especially when the obvious and most sensible alternative is to select a larger, heavier, more seaworthy boat! If you go, please give the USCG a waiver so they won't spend taxpayer money to rescue you!

R

rudy p.

just did it

ted don't let the fools convince you you can't do it. I just came back from a trip to Spain in a hunter 29.5 (1994) it was hellish and exciting at the same time. The waves at one point reached 50ft high , the sails stretched to the point that I started praying,the inside of my vessel looked like 1/2 dozen rabid wild hogs rampaged thru it, all the halyards came apart, but I kept praying. Then when I thought it was almost over a storm started approaching from stern, hell I started crying and the praying escalated. I started taking water bad, the sails flew off,the mast came off, the rudder came apart, the companionway doors, what doors?, all the alarms came on, the engine wouldn't start and then just like I prayed for I WOKE UP AND THANKED GOD I NEVER REALLY MADE THAT TRIP. I hope you really re consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.