2006 Hunter 146 Centerboard Repair

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
There are several very early posts that detail placing foam in the top of the mast for the 146 and the 170.

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
There are several very early posts that detail placing foam in the top of the mast for the 146 and the 170.
I followed those posts. While several people did this and documented it. No one came back and said it worked. I even asked one of the guys and never got a reply.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The Hobie bob does prevent the boat from going over all the way. Put many on my boats which the customers appreciated to include the 140 and 170 besides other manufactured boats too

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
I followed those posts. While several people did this and documented it. No one came back and said it worked. I even asked one of the guys and never got a reply.
I noodled the top 12 inches (30cm) years ago. In a test with my son we flipped the boat in 4 feet of water. We were mainly just interested in the practicality of flipping and getting back in. It came nowhere near turtling, but we were able to get to the centerboard and right it in less than 15-30 seconds. It has a large righting force just at where the centerboard tip is submerged and no one is in the boat. Its pretty happy to just sit there on its side as well.

Ive always wanted to tie it up to the docks and let it rest on its side for several minutes to see what happens. In the shallow water test the boom actually is what is pulling the mast under. With the sails down, the boom points directly to the mud. it fills with water and then is dead weight. Never put an end cap on the boom. You want that water to rush out ASAP as the mast lifts up.

Its pretty warm here. On a calm day ill head off to the beach launch area and see how long it takes to turtle.