1990 2GM20F issues - HELP!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We have a 2GM20F on our 1989 Hunter 30. Wot is about 3,300 rpm on our 2 blade prop. We usually get 6 kts at 2600 to 2700 rpm.

I'd never pull the head unless I had first checked the compression and had one or both cylinders low. (Assuming there isn't a valve problem).

Checking and adjusting valve clearances is an easy DIY job.

As for difficulty starting, these enjines are known to take 5 to 10 seconds or even more of cranking with the throttle pretty high to get them to start cold. After the initial start that day, throttle idle and just bump the starter. Away she goes.

Could it be an injector issue?

And I agree you may be over propped. I'll look at my records and tell you what our prop size is.

Ken

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
I'd appreciate knowing your prop size just for reference. Still need to investigate mine.
I'm going to check the valves on Monday and if that isn't the issue likely pull the injectors and take them to a local diesel specialty shop for testing.
I motorsailed the boat about 8 hours on Thursday in a two-day effort to get it home (Jamestown, RI to Boston) and unsurprisingly the crud didn't "blow out" as I was told it should. Results unchanged from last week - still can't get above 2,200 rpm without smoke, can't exceed 2,600 rpm in gear period.
Starting is every so slighly easier though, might have something to do with the two bottles of Power Service I've poured through the engine by now.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
With regard to hard cold start (only), some Yanmar engines have an optional Thermostart (not a misspelling) device available. My Yanmar 2QM15 has one. That device uses diesel fuel ignited inside the intake manifold to heat the incoming air to help start the engine. Made for engines without glow plugs. If available for your engine you can determine if it will help starting by directing a heat gun (hair drier will do) into the cold engine intake and then attempting to start. If it helps to have warm air at the intake and the Thermostart device is available you can proceed in that direction. Device is not expensive and is used mostly in Yanmar tractors. Some wiring and plumbing required. Takes 15 seconds to heat intake manifold air. I have used mine for years without any problems. This has nothing to do with the RPM issue, only cold starting.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Thermostart above utilizing injector return line to keep reservoir filled.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
That Thermostart device looks pretty nifty.

I checked the valves and unsurprisingly they were out of spec. Adjusted them and also unsurprisingly that did not solve the problem.
I then ran the engine and cracked the banjo bolts on the injectors. On one, the engine stalled. On the other, no difference. Hah, getting somewhere now. I pulled the injectors and dropped them off at a local injection shop yesterday. Guy called me later that morning and said that both were sticking.
He rebuilt them with fresh Yanmar guts for $120/each and I'm picking them up tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's just the injectors and not the pump but I guess we shall see.

jtm

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Dataw Island, SC
I have had a H28.5 for 33 years. it had the 2gmf (not the 20). That engine was also on the 33.5. the 28.5 and 30 are shorter and relatively stub-ier goin thru the water than the 33.5. - more water to ply. I found the sweet spot at 2650-2850 rpm. With heavy wind on my nose or oncoming seas i might go to 3000-3100 rpm but beyond that i felt it was diminishing returns and prolly cavitating.

the prop seems like the likely culprit but the engine would have suffered from an under or oversized prop.

while you are down under - take a measurement of the clearance from the top of the prop closest to the hull to the hull. it could be another indicator if you have the wrong sized prop. that distance is important as it could be causing cavitation if too little separation from hull. i doubt you will be able to read the etching on the prop hub while down under- alittle antifouling paint and its pretty much covered over.

if the engine was suffering from low speeds( read carbon buildup) from prior owner and compound that with poor maintenace and improper oil type/viscosity + The crapped out elbow is another tell that the rusting in the elbow caused constricted exhaust and backing up of carbons in the cylinders. you could have crud deposits in and around the injector and that impairs the atomizationflow of the injected fuel- then it unburnt fuel and exists as black smoke.

I'd try several cycles of 50% heavy duty injector cleaner in your fuel filter cup to see if you can leach out the crud and improve injection atomization. while you could eventually replace the injectors, Id want to try clean the cyl head of carbon crud, as the atomization would be impaired. id pull an injector of 2 to see what thry look like before i did that so id have a bench mark.

let us know the end of the story.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
I reinstalled the rebuilt injectors today. No luck. Still running on one cylinder. I have pulled the injection pump and am getting it bench tested on Monday morning.
Time to go curse the previous owners some more.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
BOSSailor.....you’ve had quite an ordeal with your engine, sounds like you may be getting close.
We’ve owned our 92 Hunter 30 for 21 years. The original prop was a 2-blade, probably made out of polypropylene. I replaced it 10 years ago with a 3-blade bronze Campbell Sailer made by West by North. Made a big difference. They have all the specs. to match up the props, so they’s not guess work.
Also, motoring in and out, I usually run between 2500-3000 rpm. At slack tide we get about 5.5- 6 knots SOG. This is rare as we always seem to be fighting a foul current in the channel.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
My H27 was repowered with a 2gm20f. The prop is a 3 blade 13x11. I can get about 3300 rpm at max power in gear and 3600 in neutral. No smoke. 5.5 kts at 2600 rpm.

Dec 12, 2010
Hunter 31 Bayville,NJ
I agree with Benny, a little research before head job, fresh fuel etc.
1.8 knots is not far enough off the mark to worry.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Just got off the phone with the diesel shop.
The pump tested bad. Looking at about $350 to rebuild it. Hoping this fixes the issue. I suppose there could be other issues yet undiscovered too but this definitely needs to be addressed.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
As an update if anyone is still following or curious - I reinstalled the rebuilt injector pump and everything works great!
Took a little while to install due to fixing an oil leak at the bottom of the gear casing (preexisting condition when I bought the boat), but I got everything in, bled the system, and it fired right up within two seconds.
Full RPM range and power, no smoke, idles and moves under power better than ever. I was cruising along into a headwind at 5.8 kts GPS speed with throttle to spare.
Thanks everyone for all your help and advice!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Glad you have it figured out, and thanks for sharing the solution.

Gref

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Good work! Where did you have the injector pump overhauled?