1989 Oday 272 Review (1 Year)

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
So I decided to call DR Marine yesterday and spoke to Rudy about the water deck fill cap and he answered my question. I have a deck fill that is aftermarket. The original caps were color and locking made by a company called Scandvik. Not sure of spelling! So I guess I am going to have to replace the entire deckfill. It's a 4 hole and most made nowadays are three hole. Oh well, nothing is easy when it comes to boats.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Be sure to bed it well with butyl rubber and pot the new holes! Or we will frown! :)

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Never used that stuff. I was going to use marine tex. Tell me more about the Butyl Rubber. I googled it and looks like it is widely used.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
MaritimeTees said:
This is my one year review of my 272 I purchased exactly one year ago. My experience as a sailor is about 30 years and I have owned numerous boats the biggest being an Ericson 30+.

I sail her about 3 to 4 times a week year round since I am in Ventura, California. The boat came to me in Great condition. She almost was never sailed because the original sails were in like new condition and no reefing system was ever set-up or a boom vang. The headliner had no effects of mildew or dirt. All I needed to do was add my electronics and cosmetic stuff and set the sails up to my specs.

The interior is roomy for overnight weekend romps to the Channel Islands. 3 people are safe but any more could be possibly be a little tight.

The sailing characteristics of this boat are very interesting. This boat is by far the fastest I have ever owned. This boat moves like no other I have owned. We had a little race this weekend with about 6 boats ranging from 25 Catalina to a Catalina 30 and Hunter 31. This boat won the entire race without corrected time. The winds started at 10k and ended at 18k. A lot of the other boats thought someone had done something to the bottom of the boat because the PHRF rating for this boat is high. I highly doubt that because I recently painted it and did not see anything abnormal. I had to reef this boat at 15k because it was heeling excessively. Tender because of the light ballast. This coming year 2016 I will race her weekly and see how she does. Spinnaker Assym being added to the inventory. Have no idea how she will respond to this. Maybe someone has some input on this.

Added fridge 12V/110
bimini
no dodger because I want to race it.
added rope clutches for jib sheets (excellent buy)
rope clutch for jib furler

The Oday 272 is a nice boat. The only negative of this boat is the lightness, but if your planning on cruising you wouldn't buy this boat anyway.

Any input to this would be great.

ForumRunner_20151213_065808.png

ForumRunner_20151213_065823.png

ForumRunner_20151213_065848.png

ForumRunner_20151213_065913.png

ForumRunner_20151213_065928.png

ForumRunner_20151213_065949.png

ForumRunner_20151213_070106.png

ForumRunner_20151213_070136.png

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
In reading this thread a few people mentioned changing their mainsheet. Does anyone have pics? Mine is stock. I don't singlehand, but with two young ones it sometimes feels like it. The boat has a tiller and it I can't manage to reach the mainsheet.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Hello...The maker of the red and black plastic caps used on the water and head deck pump out's is made by a company
called Scandvik...available thru Jamestown Distributers...known as Nylon Deck Fill Caps, 1-1/2 ...they are cool caps...but even the new ones do not have a chain...but I don't know what it would hook to anyway so use caution. Good luck, Patrick in Wichita...you can find them on line by going to Scandvik/Jamestown Dist.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Andrew I had that same system you have in the picture. I had to change back because the Cam Cleat created so much pressure it was difficult to release it. No one but me could release the line if the load was over 17k of wind. LOL! Probably because I can bench 450 pounds for reps. My wife weighs 105 and we were under reef, blowing 40k in the middle of Pacific Ocean. Had my wife go in the cabin and hang on the mainsheet to try and release the cam cleat. NOPE! End of that experiment... Maybe a bad cam but it worked fine under 15k. Harken! Anybody ever been on an ODAY 272 in 40k of wind for 18 hours? Not the most pleasant experience but she held up better than expected. Reminded me when I use to fish and waterski on lake Michigan and the northerlies were up creating big waves and we would jump them with our 22 foot Sea Ray. The explosion when you came down was unexplainable.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Before I forget I was browsing Ebay and found a 1987 272 LE that the guy completely restored. I watched the video on youtube. Crazy what he did. The boat looks fabulous. Wants 16k. Can't believe he would sell it.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Had my wife go in the cabin and hang on the mainsheet to try and release the cam cleat. NOPE! End of that experiment... Maybe a bad cam but it worked fine under 15k. Harken! Anybody ever been on an ODAY 272 in 40k of wind for 18 hours? Not the most pleasant experience but she held up better than expected.
Well no wonder. That 4:1 mid-boom sheet is WAY undersized for a 27 foot boat.

Even with the 272's modest mainsail, in 15kts there is 620 lbs of load on the sheet assembly. Not even factoring in friction, that is 155 lbs at the cleat.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Jackdaw I changed that S@@T. You have to be able to control that mainsheet under all conditions.

Aug 3, 2012
I have sailed in 15kts, and that system opens with no hassle. Not heavy. Runs smooth. Never tries to get away. Oh well...

May 12, 2014
Oday 272 Groton
Does anybody else have pics of their mainsheet setup? My 272 has the stock setup and it is less than great when my crew is otherwise occupied (sleeping or goofing off)...

Aug 3, 2012
I will defend my setup.
The standard setup on the 272 is no stronger, it just uses the clutch. Any setup can use a winch to augment. Here are a couple ideas I use.
1. Reef until you can control your sail. Or lower the main! If you think you should reef, you are already late.
2. Take the load off your sail before hauling your main to windward. If you wanna haul 1,000 lbs to windward using a clutch and winch, you will eventually break a shackle, break a sheave, and it will happen under load. That is never cool. I am cruising and daysailing. I unload my rig. It takes a few seconds to head up or bear off a few degrees, haul the sail, and resume your heading. Are we really in that big a hurry?
3. If you wanna use the winch, use the winch. In most winds, the 4:1 is more than adequate. If not... You should consider reducing sail.
Above 15 kts in a 272, you need to be reefed sailing to windward because the 272 will be heeled 20 or more degrees. That is slower. Above 20kts, you should be double reefed or lower the mainsail if you cannot control it. Also, above 20 kts, should you really be out in a 272? This is not a heavy boat! She is tender and heels readily. Further, her rig is a daysailing / cruising rig, not a blue water rig.
The setup I am using is not inadequate for what I am doing and how I do it. It allows me to do the same thing as the original if I want.
If you want a heavier setup, get a heavier setup. But you should not need it if you sail with a couple ideas in mind.
I think the philosophy here is sound: sail the boat you have under you to preserve that boat, the sail, and the equipment.
Maybe if I were racing or trying to constantly deal with 20kt winds, I would set it up to always use the winch, but it is adequate for my purposes and adequate for the majority of purposes with a few simple protocols.

Additionally, this setup is designed by Harken in the midsize boat range, bigger than the 272. Harken actually recommends smaller blocks for 28' and under.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Good for you Andrew. I personally think the 4 to 1 setup is adequate. I also like the clutch setup which in my estimate is perfect. The old owner of my boat switched to the setup you have. He said it was easier for him to solo. He was a light air sailor because he never even had a reef system setup. The Oday 272 is exactly what you said a comfortable daysailor. It was sold as that. I think that's what they said about the Ericson 27 until I soloed it to Hawaii from Channel Islands California. LOL! Although I would not attempt this with the 272. Just not stout enough for my taste. My wife and I occasionally will take the 272 offshore for a few days non-stop sailing then turn back to get the feel for bluewater. I always make sure the forecast is ideal. Sometimes the weather people don't get it right. LOL! I like the 272 it does what I ask it to. Our next boat when we get close to retirement will be an offshore boat for passages to Mexico and beyond. For now the 272 is the perfect island boat and day cruiser. Race season is fast approaching and should be interesting how the 272 does. Wet Wednesdays start in April and I can't wait.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I'm a little confused....at the 1 min. 58 sec. point the windows are not depicting a 272. Are there two boats involved...? Pat

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I had a fellow in our club who has raced very competitively around the US..on boats ranging from Sunfish & Lasers to his own 51 docked in the BVI...redo the O'Day mainsheet tackle and put on new Harken blocks & equipment and the Mainsheet tackle is now a dream. The old stock blocks were worthless, most esp. in very light winds....I had to physically push the boom out every time I wanted to head off....we also put on new traveler blocks and rid ourselves of the O'Day tackle...I did
keep the curved track however after speaking to Harken about the pros and cons of the bent track....I could not stand having the line brought back to a line stopper where I had to leave the helm to release it or sheet it on the cabin top. There is not a good reason for things to be so complicated....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Additionally, this setup is designed by Harken in the midsize boat range, bigger than the 272. Harken actually recommends smaller blocks for 28' and under.
If it works your your sailing then for sure don't change it.

But also remember that most main sheet sizing guidelines assume end-boom sheeting. Mid-boom doubles the effective load on the sheet. You have to upsize the guideline to maintain the same effort.

Aug 3, 2012
Very interesting! I did NOT know that! I already upsized it to the higher size, but do you think I should go higher? I mean it handles well, but...