1989 Oday 272 Review (1 Year)

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Home made traveler controls

Being the cheap a$$ sailboater I am, I made my own traveler control system based on what a friend did. Here's pics. Way less than spending $500. I don't race though, so I'm not sure if you'll get another 1/2 knot with the store bought brand!

Attachments

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
That looks like it does the job. One thing that I wanted to do was get the traveler more flattened out which means changing the entire track. With that arc it messes with the main sail shape.

Nice job!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
That looks like it does the job. One thing that I wanted to do was get the traveler more flattened out which means changing the entire track. With that arc it messes with the main sail shape. Nice job!
True. I also re-rigged my curved track to add controls. The darned car would bind under a load when I tried to bring to Windward. It may have been a matter of worn bearings, but the car would tilt and jam on the track trying to come over the top of the curve, so I changed to a flat track.

Thanks,

Andrew

Aug 3, 2012
Seneca was amazing today. Steady Fall wind out of SSE. Swells, occasional breaker, and whitecaps all day. Spray over the bow.

Here is my boat speed with a reefed main and 25% reefed headsail, broad reach in 10 kts:

image-2791258442.jpg

Mine is a 1987 272. 150 Genoa. Single reefed, loose footed main with half battens.

We actually saw 8.5 mph at one point, but I didn't screen print it in time.
We also sailed to Windward for a long distance. I got readings as high as 6.6 mph to Windward, closehauled, heeled up to 30 degrees in a few instances. Mostly heeled to 15-20 degrees while sailing a beat.

Thanks,

Andrew

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Impressive. I was out on the LIS today with my 240... whitecaps everywhere, winds from NNE gusting over 20 knots. I took my crazy uncle who refuses to let me reef anything, so we were out there with full main and 130 genoa. I gave him the tiller and I worked (dumped) the main whenever we got over more than 30 degrees. We topped 6 MPH (about 5.4 knots) close hauled, which I thought was pretty good.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Who says Oday's are slugs? Nice speed men. I was out also just getting my sail on. Although, little disappointed beating upwind in about 7k a J24 slowly passed me. Although on the beam reach he/she could not hang.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Impressive: We found some additional pointing and speed ability this season, tuning the rig in a little better: O'Day28 out-pointing and speed advantage over a Tartan 34 CB and Catalina 28. We atarted at the back of the pack, took enough lead pointing the first 3 miles to JUST hold advantage on a reach the last 3 over the cat. Once on the big lake waves just took their toll, and we tried to hang, the Tartan just walked away in her element.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Got real lucky this weekend sailing off the coast of Ventura, my friend was anchored near the pier and snapped this pic of our 272. She looks really good with the sails up. Nice lines she has.

Attachments

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
we did not totally replace the traveler, just put on good adjustable cam cleats on each end along with blocks w/bearings and lines long enough to easily adjust the traveler from the wheel when single handling...actually, all lines, halyards, sheets, etc.
are long enough to control from the helm...I did trip over a sheet while single handling a couple weeks ago while lowering the main I actually fell into the cockpit from the cabin top barely missing my forehead on the cabin bulkhead....Lucklly I have good cockpit cushions that softened the blow. I may not do that again this fall....single hand that is. I'm not certain what O'Day was
thinking when they installed a traveler with no adjustable controls. Pat

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Maritime Tees, seems you have a lot of first hand knowledge of a few boats I am really interested in. Interior space is high on my list of wants in a boat. Have you ever been on a Cat 27? If so how did it compare to the Oday 272 and Ericson 27 with interior space? I had pretty much set my sights on the Cat27 or Ericson27 but now considering the 272. The boat is about 2000lbs lighter and draws about a foot less of water. My plans are to tow the boat from Kentucky to the Keys in the winter and maybe a few times to the east coast in the summer. The beam on a Cat27 is 8"9" and Oday 9' both overwidth but close enough I think. I have read where several people have trailered their Cat27's long distances with no issues or permits.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I have been on all those boats you mentioned extensively. For interior space nothing beats the ODAY 272 because of the aft cabin/berth. The Ericson 27 and Cat 27 have cramped V-berths. The Cal 2-27 has a really open V-berth, but for a trailer wouldn't be a good match. For Florida sailing the Oday 272 is the ideal boat because of the low draft. For speed on beam reach and downwind the Oday is the fastest. For upwind the Oday doesn't do that well because of the weight and low draft. Light wind sailing Oday is exceptional because of the light weight. I like the newer Catalina 270's because of the interior volume and dedicated aft cabin. They cost a lot more because they are newer. If you were doing extensive offshore I would recommend the Ericson 27 because I sailed mine to Hawaii solo in 2006 and had no issues. Although in thinking back I probably wouldn't do it again, would go with at least a 30 footer because of the hobby horsing in unsettled seas.

The ODAY 272 is a fun boat and if you can find one in decent shape I would go with it because they are excellent on trailers and for Florida. Plus they are a good buy and fun to sail. I like the outboard model because I don't use my outboard except for slip in and out, anchoring and when the wind dies on the Pacific Ocean. Plus I have a brand new Honda and that thing never has any problems and the prop never comes out of the water when motoring even in heavy seas. Plus no drag when racing and less weight. Diesels are nice except when they need to be fixed with a rebuild or a new engine and the cost is extremely high.

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Thank you! Good advice. So the V berth in the 272 is bigger than the Cat 27 and Ericson 27? What about standing headroom? All about the same? I have no intention of getting very far from land however I would like to take the boat to the Bahamas at some point maybe. Hopefully by then I will be semi retired and have a bigger boat.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
The standing headroom for all of them are very close. The Oday is fine for offshore but wouldnt want to do a long passage. Bahamas is fine even Cuba is good. Just not across the Atlantic. Lol!

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi Greg
diff subject but I bought the 272 It's actually in good shape a shame to break up BUT if you need any parts let me know
thanks for the help paul the beam

Aug 3, 2012
Do you have the mast base and step plate? I would be interested in buying those.

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
I need the water fill cap. I cant find one that fits the original. Don't really want to replace entire deck fill.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Hi Greg
diff subject but I bought the 272 It's actually in good shape a shame to break up BUT if you need any parts let me know
thanks for the help paul the beam
You bet, Paul. Thanks for the offer. Don't need any 272 parts but if anyone has a rudder from a 240 they don't need anymore... :)

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
West Marine sells them or use to....I'm sure you can order from them....Can't think of the brand but you'll recognize it...Kind of a
European name...

Sep 16, 2014
Oday 272 Ventura
Pat are your referring to the deck fill cap? Perko? I tried that and it doesn't quite fit. The other west marine offers is White Cap and I tried that and it doesn't fit either.