• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

1988 O’Day 192 Restoration

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I keep my 5lb propane tank in the gas locker in the cockpit. It works great but there was a tiny problem - the propane tank line end didn’t fit through the opening in the locker. That would mean I would have to keep the top of the locker open to have the tank connected to the motor.

So, I took a peak at the locker wall and realized the outer wall was just screwed in with 4 screws. With the bottom 2 screws out the panel hinges outward and gives me plenty of space to pass the propane line through. Then I can just push it back into place and keep the locker hatch closed.

D521252E-DFFD-451E-9A42-6657DDF3C482.jpeg

63712E13-02FC-48C0-9F89-66E074BACEE2.jpeg

Now that it could swing out, it could also swing in and that was another issue. My concern would be trying to brace yourself and the panel giving way. So I made a backstop that’s bolted through the hull with some butyl tape and a big neoprene washer.

DD5BE965-7A96-4A8F-90FD-E49FF8881740.jpeg

Now I just need to clean and detail that locker. Another perk of propane is no spills or leaks to clean up.

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
I’ve been able to get out a bunch lately in a big range of conditions (2kts to 24kts). Really getting comfortable on the boat finally. Here’s some highlights:

Gusting to 24kts, had the main reefed and a full jib and the boat was chugging along. Dropped anchor to hang out for a few and couldn’t get the anchor to set. Surprise surprise, I had a horseshoe crab caught in the flukes of my danforth.

D4DD7912-10E2-47C9-9708-0813E66C4820.jpeg

A few days later I got everything packed up and sailed until I got hungry. I picked an island to anchor by for some protection and hung out for a while. The wind shifted enough that I was able to sail off the anchor.

A0988080-5995-4CB8-BA39-717E8833938B.jpeg

Then Dorian made its way by and since I had to work that day I made sure there was no chance of coming home to a problem.

404EEE1C-2DEA-4991-92DF-9830697997B4.jpeg

And today started out with light winds and lots of clouds but the wind filled in and the direction was great. The original plan was to anchor out by an island and hang but decided to keep sailing and pass under the Robert Moses Causeway bridge.

0D9836C4-7CD0-45B5-9A3F-BBC57E816925.jpeg

5E8360B2-6B53-4294-84FC-1EADC37C14AB.jpeg

I’m still getting a tiny amount of water in the bilge very randomly. I think it has to do with the knotmeter a previous owner installed on their own. But for now, all is well and I’m more focused on using the boat and not trying to fix every little thing. Winter will be here soon and I’ll have plenty of time to fine tune everything then.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Long Island, NY
But for now, all is well and I’m more focused on using the boat and not trying to fix every little thing. Winter will be here soon and I’ll have plenty of time to fine tune everything then.
Really happy for you! Our season got ended prematurely because I partially tore my biceps tendon. No lifting or pulling for 3 months. The last time out, we got out just East of the lighthouse and pulled into the Marina at Atlantique. There are a few little islands around there that look like nice anchor points. Enjoy it!

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Really happy for you! Our season got ended prematurely because I partially tore my biceps tendon. No lifting or pulling for 3 months. The last time out, we got out just East of the lighthouse and pulled into the Marina at Atlantique. There are a few little islands around there that look like nice anchor points. Enjoy it!
Sorry to hear, I was wondering if I was going to spot you out there one of these days. There aren’t many O’Day 19’s or 192’s on the bay.

The great thing about these small boats is we can anchor almost anywhere in the bay and not have to worry. Though my rudder did unexpectedly make friends with the bottom today between Tanner Park and Indian Island. I’ve sailed through there a ton and never touched but I guess I found the one spot today. The next thing I have to do is change out the rudder downhaul horn cleat for an auto release clam cleat. That way when I hit bottom next time the cleat will pop instead of the rudder getting driven into the bottom.

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Long Island, NY
Ha! That happened to me as well last time we were out! That cleat change is a good idea. One of the winter projects I've got in mind is refinishing all the wood, including the tiller. That would be an opportune time to swap it out. Before I got hurt, I'd gotten a mount for my phone that I can wrap around the tiller at the end, so I can keep Navionics close at hand in spots like that. I guess I'll see about that in the spring!

May 9, 2019
O’Day 192 New York
Ha! That happened to me as well last time we were out! That cleat change is a good idea. One of the winter projects I've got in mind is refinishing all the wood, including the tiller. That would be an opportune time to swap it out. Before I got hurt, I'd gotten a mount for my phone that I can wrap around the tiller at the end, so I can keep Navionics close at hand in spots like that. I guess I'll see about that in the spring!

I had the Navionics running when I hit bottom and according to them I should have been in 3’ of water. I think I’m going to change out my knotmeter for a depth finder over winter.

This is the cleat you want for the rudder downhaul.

I’m also going to put a rudder uphaul on over winter as well.

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Long Island, NY
That's perfect! Thanks for the tip! Enjoy the rest of the season. I'll be living vicariously through your photos!