1974. O’Day 20 Interior Refurbish

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
That is a very professional job! It looks great. I didn't think I would like your portholes, but they look just right.

Oct 12, 2020
Oday 20 3 Ceder Creek Lake
Getting ready to refurbish an 1974 O'Day 20 I bought for $850. Lots of work. Love your pictures and the nice detail. I do have several questions. First, why change out the windows for porthole?

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Getting ready to refurbish an 1974 O'Day 20 I bought for $850. Lots of work. Love your pictures and the nice detail. I do have several questions. First, why change out the windows for porthole?
My guess would be that it's easier to do something completely different rather than trying to find a perfect match for a 1974 boat window. Besides, they look neat, and he is obviously very skilled at his fibreglass work. My only quibble is that I would have tried to get opening ports, since it gets pretty stuffy in there, but that would be more expense, another avenue for water ingress, and probably the ports would have to be significantly larger.

Feb 15, 2021
O'Day O'Day 25 Port Stalishun
I'd have to agree with all the suggestions here. To me it doesn't look like a whole lots need to be done but minimum a center post attached to the of your port side bulkhead to take some.of the mast weight to deflect the weight to your floor plate / hull would be great. In addition the starboard chain plate needs some reinforcement unless there are gunnel plates installed. Nice open refit tho !

Nov 4, 2021
O'Day 20 Not sure at this point
I ended up getting mine from onlinemetals.com

View attachment 176461
New bulkhead
View attachment 176462
Window filled in
View attachment 176463
Little square is buildup from keel

I'll post a few more pics after I resize them. I'm getting ready to go anchor in the middle of a nearby reservoir and quarantine the rest of the world for a few days, so I'll have plenty of time for that.
Hi Louden,
Question about the v-berth replacement. I like the supports you built to go in the hull. You used these to hold up the plywood of the v-berth. Is that correct? Did you also tab the berth plywood pieces to the hull where they used to tabbed?
I’m hoping you will say the new supports were sufficient to hold the berth plywood.
Thanks,
Randy

Mar 25, 2020
O'day 20 S Georgia, Florida panhandle
After multiple tries at sealing the original windows I did decide I had to change course. I was thinking of trying to fit 4 portholes on each side but I didn't see a practical way to do it without making them look crowded.
Plenty of light provided by the hatch.