• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

1974. O’Day 20 Interior Refurbish

def

Jul 19, 2019
Oday 20 And so it goes East Tennessee
My 20 sails fine. The interior, however, needs some help. I will probably have several questions, but I will post them separately.

First problem is the bulkhead. The starboard wall is in ok shape. It does not touch the ceiling, so I assume it is not structural. The port wall has a 1x1 that goes from a metal plate on the ceiling to the floor. I assume that this board is the main structure that supports the mast. The port wall is in rough shape. It has some rot along the bottom.
Can I easily remove and replace these bulkheads? There are screws. What should I replace it with? I have seen pictures of 20’s with the bulkheads removed and a center post installed. Is this a good idea?

Thanks for any advice you can share.
David

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It does not touch the ceiling, so I assume it is not structural.
Not a reliable guideline here. Thre bulkhead may not be structural, but the height is not an indication, since internal structures help keep hull form, not just deck to hull support.

Can I easily remove and replace these bulkheads?
A well braced hull is probably ok to pull any one part for repairs. Do them once at a time to completion before moving on to the next area.

I have seen pictures of 20’s with the bulkheads removed and a center post installed. Is this a good idea?
It is not uncommon to see this change in either direction. I, for one, would like to get my compression post out of the way.

Good luck and I look forward to following your repairs.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
It cost money for a manufacturer to put items into a product. If it were not necessary, it wouldn't be there. Let's say each stay has 200# tension. You have starboard and port stays pulling up the sides. There has to be something under the mast to appose the force of the downward pressure due to force of the side stays. It shouldn't be the deck. Don't forget the fore-stay and back-stay pulling on the ends. As for the bulkheads. If they are rigidly fixed to the hull, there would be a hard place at that point; and soon the hull would fracture and fail. Don't doubt the forces at work and the designer's effort to keep the structure safe from failure. When you replace the port bulkhead, remove it carefully; and notice how it was installed. Take pictures if necessary. Make it the same size and install it the same as original. Be careful to do a good job and maintain the value of your boat. You may want to move up to your next boat. Be safe; and have a great sailing experience.