scan  The two most important things to remember when raising or lowering a mast on land or on the water is:  1. The wind direction.   The wind needs to be coming directly from the stern.  A wind from abeam will blow the mast over the side.
2.  The boat and/or the trailer needs to be level.  If the boat is leaning to one side, the mast is also going to lean to that side as soon as you raise it and it will inevitably go right over the side breaking the tabernacle in the process.
You need to remember that the stays will not prevent the mast from going over the side until the mast is all the way up.  The stays will then get tight and provide the stability needed.
This picture was taken at the Mattapoisett Ma. Boat ramp back in the 1990s.  My wife Dolores was sitting in our Delta 88 Olds reading a magazine.  I spend a lot of time out on the water and tan up real quick.   I very seldom get sunburned.
Joe11688

scan The two most important things to remember when raising or lowering a mast on land or on the water is: 1. The wind direction. The wind needs to be coming directly from the stern. A wind from abeam will blow the mast over the side. 2. The boat and/or the trailer needs to be level. If the boat is leaning to one side, the mast is also going to lean to that side as soon as you raise it and it will inevitably go right over the side breaking the tabernacle in the process. You need to remember that the stays will not prevent the mast from going over the side until the mast is all the way up. The stays will then get tight and provide the stability needed. This picture was taken at the Mattapoisett Ma. Boat ramp back in the 1990s. My wife Dolores was sitting in our Delta 88 Olds reading a magazine. I spend a lot of time out on the water and tan up real quick. I very seldom get sunburned.

There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
Mast Raising/Lowering
Added by
Joe11688
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata