DSC00434 Here's a pic of my old Gin Pole.  Anyone can make one of these.  It doesn't have to come apart and you don't need to use stainless steel hardware.
The Gin pole provides the angle needed to raise your mast by using the Jib halyard and a boom vang or mainsheet blocks.
  You could also mount a small boat winch on the Gin pole and use that to pull your mast up.  
I have the yoke tied to the mast near the goose neck fitting and the end of my Gin Pole is about 1" to 2" from my forestay when the mast is up.  If the Gin Pole is too short, the boom vang will have a tendency to pull the yoke out of the mast once the mast is up.
If you set the Gin Pole too low on the mast, the Gin Pole will be too long and you'll have trouble reaching the end of the pole to snap your bridles in when the mast is laying horizontal and ready to be raised.   For this reason I chose to set my Gin Pole so that the yoke is near the goose neck fitting. 

Note how close the blocks of the boom vang are in this picture.  Before I inverted the line locking cam on the pulling block, I used to extend the boom with a wire tail piece that cam off my back stay that was connected to that triangular plate.   By inverting the cam on the block, I was able to do away with the tail piece and be able to connect the block to a shackle on my bow stem chainplate.  This gave me more space for my blocks.   The is another reason why the Gin Pole needs to be set near the goose neck fitting.  If you decide to use a boat winch to pull your mast up, you could mount the Gin Pole lower but the lower the Gin Pole on the mast, the longer it has to be.

DSC00434 Here's a pic of my old Gin Pole. Anyone can make one of these. It doesn't have to come apart and you don't need to use stainless steel hardware. The Gin pole provides the angle needed to raise your mast by using the Jib halyard and a boom vang or mainsheet blocks. You could also mount a small boat winch on the Gin pole and use that to pull your mast up. I have the yoke tied to the mast near the goose neck fitting and the end of my Gin Pole is about 1" to 2" from my forestay when the mast is up. If the Gin Pole is too short, the boom vang will have a tendency to pull the yoke out of the mast once the mast is up. If you set the Gin Pole too low on the mast, the Gin Pole will be too long and you'll have trouble reaching the end of the pole to snap your bridles in when the mast is laying horizontal and ready to be raised. For this reason I chose to set my Gin Pole so that the yoke is near the goose neck fitting. Note how close the blocks of the boom vang are in this picture. Before I inverted the line locking cam on the pulling block, I used to extend the boom with a wire tail piece that cam off my back stay that was connected to that triangular plate. By inverting the cam on the block, I was able to do away with the tail piece and be able to connect the block to a shackle on my bow stem chainplate. This gave me more space for my blocks. The is another reason why the Gin Pole needs to be set near the goose neck fitting. If you decide to use a boat winch to pull your mast up, you could mount the Gin Pole lower but the lower the Gin Pole on the mast, the longer it has to be.

DSC01279 On an O'Day 222, the side stay chainplates are aft of the mast as seen in the picture.  Where the snap hook is connected to the stay, I'm using a long thin stainless steel "D" shackle attached to a turnbuckle toggle and this is where it has to go.   The other snap hook is attached to a pad eye mounted through my deck on both sides of my boat.  

Note* In making up your pivot bridles, you need to make all the rope adjustments first before mounting the pad eyes.  This requires that you snap one end of the pivot bridle you are make up, into the stay shackle and also snap it into the pad eye and just make your rope length adjustment by stretching out the pivot bridle while holding the pad eye to the deck until you can make the ring height and rope length adjustment by eye balling it.   Remember, what we need to do at this point is get the rope lengths even and the ring needs to be even with the pivot point of the mast.   Once you've attained this, mark the location of the pad eye on the deck with a pencil and mount it.  

After you've completed the first pivot bridle you can use it as a pattern to make up your other bridle.  Then you can test it out by connecting it to the stay shackle on the other side of the boat and the loose pad eye by stretching it out and eye balling it.     Both pad eyes should be about the same distance away from the chainplate on both sides of the boat. When you're able to get it right, then you can mount the pad eye on that side of the boat.

I'm no expert on this, believe me.  The fist time I mounted the pad eyes on my deck, I screwed up and mounted them in the wrong place.  Consequently my bridles were uneven and I had to remember that the short rope on each bridle had to be snapped to the pad eye on both sides of the boat.  After a year or two I decided to remove the pad eyes and use this procedure in order to get my bridles even.  This required boring four new holes and filling the other four holes with Fiberglas Epoxy mixed with filler.   Hey listen.  I have several other holes on my deck where I had removed useless hardware, another four holes ain't going to make any difference.  I just want anyone who reads this to understand where I'm coming from.  I've been through the school of hard knocks just like you have and I've had more than my share of screw ups.

DSC01279 On an O'Day 222, the side stay chainplates are aft of the mast as seen in the picture. Where the snap hook is connected to the stay, I'm using a long thin stainless steel "D" shackle attached to a turnbuckle toggle and this is where it has to go. The other snap hook is attached to a pad eye mounted through my deck on both sides of my boat. Note* In making up your pivot bridles, you need to make all the rope adjustments first before mounting the pad eyes. This requires that you snap one end of the pivot bridle you are make up, into the stay shackle and also snap it into the pad eye and just make your rope length adjustment by stretching out the pivot bridle while holding the pad eye to the deck until you can make the ring height and rope length adjustment by eye balling it. Remember, what we need to do at this point is get the rope lengths even and the ring needs to be even with the pivot point of the mast. Once you've attained this, mark the location of the pad eye on the deck with a pencil and mount it. After you've completed the first pivot bridle you can use it as a pattern to make up your other bridle. Then you can test it out by connecting it to the stay shackle on the other side of the boat and the loose pad eye by stretching it out and eye balling it. Both pad eyes should be about the same distance away from the chainplate on both sides of the boat. When you're able to get it right, then you can mount the pad eye on that side of the boat. I'm no expert on this, believe me. The fist time I mounted the pad eyes on my deck, I screwed up and mounted them in the wrong place. Consequently my bridles were uneven and I had to remember that the short rope on each bridle had to be snapped to the pad eye on both sides of the boat. After a year or two I decided to remove the pad eyes and use this procedure in order to get my bridles even. This required boring four new holes and filling the other four holes with Fiberglas Epoxy mixed with filler. Hey listen. I have several other holes on my deck where I had removed useless hardware, another four holes ain't going to make any difference. I just want anyone who reads this to understand where I'm coming from. I've been through the school of hard knocks just like you have and I've had more than my share of screw ups.

scan0002 To raise a mast on this boat from over the stern, I needed to build a mast crutch and attach it to my stern rail.  Fortunately my O'Day 222 came with a full stern rail which made it easy to attach a crutch to it.  I built the crutch out of some short 2x4s and some plywood.  It was adjustable in that it could be lowered to hold the mast in place while the boat was being trailered. I have another album on mast crutches on this site, so I won't elaborate any further on this except to say that this piece of equipment is very essential in mast raising.  
The main advantages of raising a mast from the stern are as follows:  The mast can sit in the crutches,( I have one on my bow pulpit also) with the track pointing down with all the stays connected, save the forestay which can be bungeed to the mast along with the topping lift.  No dirt ever gets in the mast track and the mast is always ready to go up as soon as you can untie it and roll it aft so you can pin the tabernacle.  It helps if you have installed a roller in the rear mast crutch.   I used to set the crutch to within arms reach and pin it into position.

The only other aid that is needed is a single sheave block which can be attached to the aft hole in the bow stem chainplate.  A 60'x 3/8" three strand nylon line is roved through the block and attached to the Jib shackle.  I spliced an eye to the end of the 3/8" nylon line for this purpose.
The Jib halyard is run up the top of the mast and cleated at the bottom.  The line will allow you to hold the mast in position after you get it all the way up.   All you need to do is take the line around the mast above the goose neck fitting so it doesn't slide down, and pull the slack out of it and tie it to one of your bow cleats.  This frees you up to remove the bungee holding the forestay and walk to the bow and attach it to the forward hole in the bow stem plate.   This picture was taken at a local ramp on a lake just down the road from where I live.

In closing I want to say that if you have an O'Day 22 or a 222 without a roller furler, this type of mast raising is the way to go but of course you could always build a Gin Pole and use it to raise your mast by either a small boat winch mounted on the pole or you could attach your boom vang to your bow stem plate and pull the mast up that way as I do.

Note*  If you plan on using your boom vang to pull your mast up on this boat or and O'Day 22, you'll need to replace the line with a long braid line of approximately 55' to be able to attain the reach in the blocks when the mast is laying horizontal and ready to go up.  

I've found this to be the fastest and easiest way to raise a mast and it can be done in about 20 minutes.

scan0002 To raise a mast on this boat from over the stern, I needed to build a mast crutch and attach it to my stern rail. Fortunately my O'Day 222 came with a full stern rail which made it easy to attach a crutch to it. I built the crutch out of some short 2x4s and some plywood. It was adjustable in that it could be lowered to hold the mast in place while the boat was being trailered. I have another album on mast crutches on this site, so I won't elaborate any further on this except to say that this piece of equipment is very essential in mast raising. The main advantages of raising a mast from the stern are as follows: The mast can sit in the crutches,( I have one on my bow pulpit also) with the track pointing down with all the stays connected, save the forestay which can be bungeed to the mast along with the topping lift. No dirt ever gets in the mast track and the mast is always ready to go up as soon as you can untie it and roll it aft so you can pin the tabernacle. It helps if you have installed a roller in the rear mast crutch. I used to set the crutch to within arms reach and pin it into position. The only other aid that is needed is a single sheave block which can be attached to the aft hole in the bow stem chainplate. A 60'x 3/8" three strand nylon line is roved through the block and attached to the Jib shackle. I spliced an eye to the end of the 3/8" nylon line for this purpose. The Jib halyard is run up the top of the mast and cleated at the bottom. The line will allow you to hold the mast in position after you get it all the way up. All you need to do is take the line around the mast above the goose neck fitting so it doesn't slide down, and pull the slack out of it and tie it to one of your bow cleats. This frees you up to remove the bungee holding the forestay and walk to the bow and attach it to the forward hole in the bow stem plate. This picture was taken at a local ramp on a lake just down the road from where I live. In closing I want to say that if you have an O'Day 22 or a 222 without a roller furler, this type of mast raising is the way to go but of course you could always build a Gin Pole and use it to raise your mast by either a small boat winch mounted on the pole or you could attach your boom vang to your bow stem plate and pull the mast up that way as I do. Note* If you plan on using your boom vang to pull your mast up on this boat or and O'Day 22, you'll need to replace the line with a long braid line of approximately 55' to be able to attain the reach in the blocks when the mast is laying horizontal and ready to go up. I've found this to be the fastest and easiest way to raise a mast and it can be done in about 20 minutes.

Joe11688

Mast Raising/Lowering

When I first bought my new O'Day 222 back in 1986 I had every intention of trailering this boat back and forth to my favorite ramps. I had owned other sloops albeit smaller in size, but I was always familiar with mast raising and I had an idea that this boat wouldn't be any different.
The mast on this boat is 27' long, weighs about 60 lbs was pretty easy to raise/lower by hand all by myself back then, but I still needed some sort of aids to make the task possible.
There are no comments to display.

Album information

Album owner
Joe11688
Date created
Item count
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Album privacy

Joe11688