IMG 0006a I was able to do this job by myself because Aluminum is pretty easy to handle alone.  I really don't know if this holds to with Vinyl.  I've heard that it can break easy.  You may want to have an extra pair of hands to hold it while you're trying to remove the moldings.  Also, you may need to apply heat to the putty knife to separate the caulking from the Fiberglas. 
After removing the molding or moldings on one side of the boat you need to clean the area well with Acetone.
In the pic you can see the heads of the screws that were used to join the deck to the hull.   This is what you need to apply caulking to plus the for the screws that are used for the moldings.  I really doubt if water will come in from under that lip, but if you feel that you need to run a bead of caulking on it, by all means knock yourself out.
Joe11688

IMG 0006a I was able to do this job by myself because Aluminum is pretty easy to handle alone. I really don't know if this holds to with Vinyl. I've heard that it can break easy. You may want to have an extra pair of hands to hold it while you're trying to remove the moldings. Also, you may need to apply heat to the putty knife to separate the caulking from the Fiberglas. After removing the molding or moldings on one side of the boat you need to clean the area well with Acetone. In the pic you can see the heads of the screws that were used to join the deck to the hull. This is what you need to apply caulking to plus the for the screws that are used for the moldings. I really doubt if water will come in from under that lip, but if you feel that you need to run a bead of caulking on it, by all means knock yourself out.

Did you back out the screws that join the deck to the hull, clean and recaulk? Or did you just put caulk over the head of the deck to hull screws?

Media information

Album
Gunwale molding caulking made easy
Added by
Joe11688
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename