DSC00781 This first Gin Pole that I built was made of Oak.  I made so that it could be taken apart for easy stowage.  If you decide to build one of these it would be wise to have your mast raised so that you can decide where you want to place it on the mast.  I place the crutch of the Gin Pole on my mast and tie it off just about even with the Goose Neck.   This height will allow me to take up on my block and tackle and I'm using my boom vang with about 55' of braid line attached to it.   This gives me enough line to stretch the blocks out.  
Figure on making the Gin pole long enough to be within an inch or two from the forestay when it's in place on the mast.  The Gin Pole just provides the angle needed to raise/lower the mast and that's all.  
Some guys mount a small boat winch on the Gin Pole and use it to raise/lower the mast.  Myself, I prefer the block & tackle or my Boom Vang.
Joe11688

DSC00781 This first Gin Pole that I built was made of Oak. I made so that it could be taken apart for easy stowage. If you decide to build one of these it would be wise to have your mast raised so that you can decide where you want to place it on the mast. I place the crutch of the Gin Pole on my mast and tie it off just about even with the Goose Neck. This height will allow me to take up on my block and tackle and I'm using my boom vang with about 55' of braid line attached to it. This gives me enough line to stretch the blocks out. Figure on making the Gin pole long enough to be within an inch or two from the forestay when it's in place on the mast. The Gin Pole just provides the angle needed to raise/lower the mast and that's all. Some guys mount a small boat winch on the Gin Pole and use it to raise/lower the mast. Myself, I prefer the block & tackle or my Boom Vang.

There are no comments to display.

Media information

Album
Gin Pole pics
Added by
Joe11688
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata