DSC00445 Chain Plate modification prevents leaks.  I had these flat S.S. plates welded to these OD 25 chainplates to seal out water leaks.  Each plate is also bolted through the deck with four bolts, nuts, and backup plates in the cabin.   I attach these mast raising/lowering pivot bridles to a shackle under the turnbuckle on one side, and a pad eye plate on the deck.  One line on each bridle goes to the end of the Gin Pole, and one line connects from each bridle to a lower stay on each side of the mast.  The S.S. ring come even with the pivot point of my mast tabernacle.   This keeps the mast from going over the side in the raising/lowering process with the furler attached.  It's just that simple.
Joe11688

DSC00445 Chain Plate modification prevents leaks. I had these flat S.S. plates welded to these OD 25 chainplates to seal out water leaks. Each plate is also bolted through the deck with four bolts, nuts, and backup plates in the cabin. I attach these mast raising/lowering pivot bridles to a shackle under the turnbuckle on one side, and a pad eye plate on the deck. One line on each bridle goes to the end of the Gin Pole, and one line connects from each bridle to a lower stay on each side of the mast. The S.S. ring come even with the pivot point of my mast tabernacle. This keeps the mast from going over the side in the raising/lowering process with the furler attached. It's just that simple.

On my 79 O'day 22, Imade mast bridles, per plan instructions, out of 3 strand hemp and used them but was not too impressed, maybe I should have used better rope. My mast struts are straight out from the mast unlike some that are at an angle on the 3/4 rig 79 O'day 22 docked next to my mast head rig. Since the shrouds are attached to the deck inline with the mast, I have raised and lowered the mast without the aid of the bridles by myself with a gin pole and with another person helping to lift and lower without a gin pole and have done this last manouver both on trailer and on the water. Geometrically it looks like the shrouds will tighten slightly when the mast reaches horizonatal, so I disconnect the lower shroud and loosen the turn buckle on the upper.
That you for all of your good ideas and mods.

David S

Media information

Album
Trinkka's mods
Added by
Joe11688
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata