WC Headmate to Raritan

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Somewhere during C-310 production Catalina changed the plumbing. Early models had a Y - valve to select between direct head discharge overboard or the holding tank. My boat, like the later models go direct to the holding tank. When they made the change, the shower and reefer discharge T'd into the head raw water intake line. I don't think that was a good thing to do. In any case, with the change I made, there is not chance of happening in my boat.
I don't think our C310 (#31, 2000) ever had a Y valve in the head discharge. But it wouldn't surprise me that things were plumbed in many different ways over the course of production.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I think Peggy has recommended against getting any shower drain into the head intake;
Flushing with gray water from the sink OR the shower is a BIG no-no...'cuz the last thing you need is hair, soap scum, dirt, body oils etc in a toilet pump! Use clean water only.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
In keeping with the head upgrade theme, are there different types of sanitary tubing for different functions in the head system?
For ex. are certain types better for the vacuum exposure at pump out while certain types are better for the tank inlet or water inlet functions? Can I but a quantity of 1 brand in the correct size and use it for all head plumbing?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Can I but a quantity of 1 brand in the correct size and use it for all head plumbing?
Yes...but-- If you only want to do this job once, you want to use the most odor permeation resistant hoses...those are Trident 101/102 or Raritan SaniFlex which are only available in 1" and 1.5" which you'd use for the toilet and tank discharge lines...they're also expensive (but not nearly as expensive as replacing cheap hoses again in a few years). Odor permeation resistance isn't as critical for the toilet inlet line (3/4") and tank vent lines (standard size is 5/8", but you'd be smart to upgrade to 1") because no sewage goes through 'em...at least none should! So you can use less expensive hose--Shields or Trident #148--for those.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein