Today it gets real:

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Nice investigative work... That saves you some time and testing. If you machine the new ones, jest make sure you leave a little room for the paint on the keel. The shims I sent you are pretty thin and you might use just one or none at all.
More important that squaring up the keel while it is in the Up position, is Having it not knocking around in the DOWN position. If wobble just a little while it is UP, so big deal... but you'll want to make a set of keel spacers so it won't wobble or knock when you tack while in the DOWN and locked position. You'll see in my build thread that I went crazy redneck engineer in the garage and maxed out the boat stand height plus added blocking; this was the only way I could allow the keel to come down and up full swing to check spacing and center. You'll notice where I placed my spacers is NOT where Catalina Direct suggests you put them. Mine only enter the keel slot just as the keel before it is full down and they sit flush just inside the slot. This is the strongest part of the keel slot and the best place for them to be, which by the way happens to be the easiest place to measure the gap as well! If you put the keel spacers where CD says to put them, they end up going super high in the pocket and jamming in there, flexing the fiberglass out and possibly cracking it if they are too wide. The top edge of my keel was so thick it nearly jams itself into the top of the pocket while the gap at the bottom is almost 1/4" on each side.
If you have enough epoxy left over and some scrap fiberglass its easy to make your own set of keel spacers. I just layered about a dozen patches of cloth together (8.9 9 oz, use maybe 18- 20 layers of 6 oz cloth) on a piece of plastic, wet them out, covered with plastic and laid a piece of plywood over it with a car battery on top. When cured I cut it in half and used thickened epoxy to glue them together. The I just trimmed it up on my mitre saw and made two rectangle blocks, each was just about 3/8 thick to start. You'll notice in my thread how I had to shape and shave them and they were not equal thickness when complete... not all boat parts are ever really 'square' lol. I was pretty pleased, the keel is pretty dang center and although I didn't try shaking the keel (dear god don't that with the hull that high on the stands!), I'm fairly certeral there is zero play in the keel when its down.

Sep 8, 2014
BTW... stop by Wal Mart and get some Zipper Wax or Bee's Wax. Don't use car wax! (Don't ask me how I know this). I'd try the trick with some epoxy thickened with fairing filler (easier to sand). Wax the backs of the hangers and the hanger bolt threads... You know the drill. They will fit like a glove when you shape the pocket and fill those voids.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
And I can almost add paste wax to that list (don';t ask me how I know :) ) definitely working up some spacers-- and I agree I like the lower location over the top of the trunk as well. It will be interesting filling that much void above the hangers with epoxy-- thinking it will go on one bracket at a time and possibly in two parts directly above the bracket for the seat, and then fill the rest of the cavity from above. Printed out full page photos of the install to go with the actual new and old parts.... should be a fun outing with the machine shop. I think they get a kick out of my crazy boat project-- they enjoy figuring out what all the crazy pieces are for.

Jul 13, 2015
Christmas in July:

Really liking what I see from these galvanized boat stands I picked up new at quite a discount. Shipping was rough from NC but pretty stoked about the bow shaped V stand to help push the boat off the trailer:
image.jpeg

Jul 13, 2015
Done I tell you! DONE... almost:

The cockpit floor and cabin step have been languishing a bit and I was fed up with fussing over it. But this weekend I am waiting on keel hanger parts coming back from the machine shop so I decided once and for all the floor was going to be done this weekend.

Best investment I've made thus far is the longboard sander and pressure sensitive media (PSM) -- I did not have any previous experience with one, but wow-- get one. Pics below show after the longboard pass and the shiny low spots, and the FINAL coat of fairing epoxy. One more pass with the sander and we're ready for primer.

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1617.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2015
We shall see-- just back from the machine shop. Relocating the existing counter bore is next to impossible so the only option that made sense was the slot. I'll have to add a washer all around for a better bite on the slightly enlarged slot, but with any luck this should solve for the weldment non-alignment.

IMG_1626.JPG

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
That's pretty! I love machine work, it's one of my hobbies. Although I don't have a mill, yet.

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
Ditto here. I for one am benefiting from the volumes written here on repairing and refitting of these boats. As I continue to read through these posts and see these pictures of some of these boats and the condition they are in at the beginning and then what they look like at the end, it gives me great hope for my little boat. It may not be as beautiful as CD's, or Chip Ahoy but I don't need it to be. It just has to fulfill its purpose.

Thanks fellas,
Geoff

Jul 13, 2015
@Pecostx : I think the general assessment here is that we enjoy this -- sailing / building / rebuilding... And because of that we tend to try and alert the uninitiated about what comes next. I for one applaud everyone that gives it a go- just be clear about your budget and what you need out of all this labor and you can and will get wherever this is taking you.

Enjoy-- and share often.

Jul 13, 2015
Progress!

After 3 weeks of no time to myself I finally got at least 1/2 a Sunday and made some noise-- the machine shop adjustments to my keel brackets are a success. I also was able to cut down the face of the hangers to fit the 1.5" for the keel-- may end up needing to take a smidge more, but I would rather go long than short at this point.

I am a little envious of you new sytlers with your shorter hangers-- there is a ton of space to fill above mine and throwing epoxy above your head and making it stick is well..... tricky. I actually have a mold of my right ear lobe in 407 filler-- and my neck is clean shaven. Funny how it doesn't really stick to your skin, but really really sticks well to the hair on your neck.

I'll have some touch up to do on the molds once the port side is cured tomorrow, but one step closer to having a keel again.

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1724.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2014
Nice work on pushing those keel hanger pocket profiles into epoxy while over head... That says a lot, it was so much easier for me having the hull inverted. A nice way to sand the excess is to buy a 60 or 80 grit belt for an 8 inch belt sander. Take two standard paint mixing sticks and jam them into the belt making a nice flat sanding board. Since you used fairing filler (which was a great choice) it will be much easier to sand flat again than had you used colloidal silica or high density fibers.

Jul 13, 2015
It's starting to look like a wing -- my my trouble spot is high on the keel but after a few coats it's starting to take shape:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jul 13, 2015
@CloudDiver : updated the pic with the shot of both hanger molds... was thinking along the same lines, I have some PSM sand paper (30 yard roll that I picked up with the longboard sander) that I was going to attach to scrap piece of ply with a 1x2 handle-- should give me some leverage on sanding flush with the keel pocket again. I have a fair bit to clean up -- not quite worth flipping the hull for. I should have taken a picture of the stalactites hanging down... gravity and epoxy don't mix.

Sep 8, 2014
@CloudDiver : updated the pic with the shot of both hanger molds... was thinking along the same lines, I have some PSM sand paper (30 yard roll that I picked up with the longboard sander) that I was going to attach to scrap piece of ply with a 1x2 handle-- should give me some leverage on sanding flush with the keel pocket again. I have a fair bit to clean up -- not quite worth flipping the hull for. I should have taken a picture of the stalactites hanging down... gravity and epoxy don't mix.
The keel pocket is so narrow it it difficult to get anything down there to sand beyond what fits flat under the palm of your hand. I had to sand all the old bottom paint and other junk out of the entire keel pocket... I tried numerous rigged tools but in the end nothing did it better than a flat board under my palm. Luckily I'm a thin guy so I could jam most of my arm down there until my forearm was completely squeezed by the pocket, the tips of my fingers faintly touched the curve of the top.
Luckily for you anything you need to sand is right there at the bottom, and the fairing filler is so much easier to sand than any other filler in the epoxy. It will only take light pressure on 80 git paper to take it flat, no leverage should really be needed. It would recommend you try your best to sand as much of the pocket as possible, at the very least to clean it up before you put fresh paint on. I made sure my barrier coat rolled almost all the way to the top of the pocket, and then my bottom paint was rolled up almost the same distance, well higher than the waterline.

Jul 13, 2015
I have found two spots on the cabin top that have kept my attention for the last several cycles—My deck sounds out rock solid with these two exceptions. I was originally willing to ignore them as I focused on oversizing and filling all the deck penetrations with epoxy, but it’s time to contemplate applying primer and a finish coat in conjunction with my new cockpit floor.

I couldn’t quite stand the thought of putting down an insanely expensive product over a known bad spot that could come back to haunt me and my checkbook.

So with great trepidation, and a few religious like offerings to the boat gods I dove in:

Thankfully what I discovered was seemingly brand new (45 year old) plywood smiling at me… thank you boat gods. What I have (and have had in other locations especially in the cockpit floor) are areas where the fiberglass layers had a void or never laid down tight to the plywood below. A small amount of water may or may not have played a roll-- you can see the potted holes above the void, but no evidence of rot or even discoloration.

Very grateful this morning as I have laid up a bit of fiberglass to repair and will fill with epoxy. …..now back to the sanding…….
IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

Jul 13, 2015
It hurts to type: I spent the better part of Saturday on a tear-- I was hell bent to get at least one coat of primer on the cockpit floor and that meant sanding, sanding, and more sanding. My finger tips will be never be the same.

Despite never having worked with any two part paints -- and never mind worrying about screwing up the liquid gold known as Awlgrip-- I think the first primer coat is a success and my routine bodes well for the successive primer and top coats. I'm using a high density foam roller and didn't attempt to tip it off-- reducing it 10% seems to flow fairly well.

I'm cheating a bit and only rolling the floor and a small band above-- I want to finish the floor, but do not want to take the time at the moment to properly prep and paint all the upper surfaces. I'll get there shortly-- but am still pushing to get the mechanical done and get her splashed yet this fall /winter to shake down the rigging.

Quite the change from May with no floor:
20160409_184116137_iOS.jpg

20160410_193528026_iOS.jpg

IMG_1790.JPG

While I was watching paint dry I also cleaned up the keel hanger molds and admired the new fit. A touch up coat of 410 will blend it all together and should clean up nicely.

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG