New O'Day 25 owner

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Sounds like a real good days work. Made me tired just reading it.

PS: Package will go out this week.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
It was, but so much easier with a second set of hands that were knowledgeable. I feel better leaving the boat now with it all sorted in the electrical too.

Thanks for the help Ward too!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
YES! A very succesful day of DC and sail work. I got big help from my sailing friend and banged out the following.

1) Topping lift with 2 loops and clip.
2) Single reefing line
3) Battery selector switch
4) Power to panel, all circuits working
5) Cabin light power
6) Running light power
7) Replaced running lights with new LED lights and housings.
8) Installed VHF radio
9) New marine battery specific charger

I didn't get the cabin lights switched to LED, but should work out next time. Still need bilge pump installed, but water was very minimal. I'll still need to run some additional LED strip lighting too, but that is more a want then need. Long day, but feel much better with cleaned up electrical big time and good charger.
Nice days work!

But that boat should not take on water. You don't need a bilge pump, you need to figure out how water gets in, and stop it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
It's on my list:) It is the rub rail, did hose test on all the deck fittings/penetrations and windows , leak is the rub rail base which I'm not excited to remove right now.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I had that same leak especially when I washed the boat on the trailer and sprayed from below. We pulled the entire rub rail and removed as much old caulk as possible with a hawk bill knife and small dremel bit. It was really dried out and came out in long chunks. Designed a little copper tube system to inject 5200 back into the joint under pressure. New rub rail holder and insert were the expensive part. No leaks now.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It's on my list:) It is the rub rail, did hose test on all the deck fittings/penetrations and windows , leak is the rub rail base which I'm not excited to remove right now.
Good start. Simply knowing where the leak is is usually the hardest part of the problem!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I lost one of the plastic shackles that connects the main sail to the slider in the mast and need a temp solution for the weekend. I was thinking a heavy duty zip tie would get me by till I get a replacement.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
My manager said I had too much vacation time and need to burn some down, so I went to the boat for a few odds and ends and cleaning for mother's day sailing.

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Yep, that is what I would use. Then measure and get some spares.
Boat looks good sitting there.
Weather has been slowing us down here in SJ. This coming week it is going to warm up and be a nice week. Took some V time to finish spring maintenance. I'm on the schedule to be dropped in on Saturday, a week later that I wanted but still on schedule for June 1st when the word "schedule" is dropped from my dictionary.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I did a few things, replaced the 2 bus bars with proper marine ones, cleaned up the very half donkey electric water pump electrical and plumbing, then some organizing and securing of things in the cabin. Had a nice lunch on the boat, AC rocks even if it is a bit homemade.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Do you leave the lazarett hatch open to vent heat when you run the AC?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Yes, doesn't seem to get real hot yet, July and August will be a good test.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Not an ideal sailing day but the perfect mother's day relaxing on the water and my son in his new canoe a friend from work gave him. He paddle with us as we putted along with main only and mom relaxed on the bow on her new pink foam mat.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Looks like a great way to celebrate Mother's day.
Ya know John, I'm not sure you enjoying your boat enough! LOL, yes you are. Very good!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
We are, the lake is great area and as we improve we will go farther. This trip with just the main had us keeping pace with John Evan in his canoe. He loved the freedom and I had him keep us broadside to any powet boat traffic.

His canoe is actually handmade lap board with a fiberglass bottom and paint. It only weights 28 lbs and is very fast with excellent tracking. He paddled to an island and we anchored so Abby could swim.

I originally wanted to make the boat perfect like I keep my vehicles but reality is it is old and will never but like new again. Besides as I add scratches nobody can tell if they are old or new:)

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Congratulations on your purchases....The O'Day 25's at our club have not had any issues and the owners sail them a lot...One owner liked it so much he replaced an outboard with a 10 horse diesel..
despite our windy conditions there have not been issues...lots of white caps today...gustimg tp 39
at the moment at the NWS ....I have not checked our weather station at Ninnescah Yacht Club yet, although it was blowing when I was out there....lake is very high due to all the rain...about 1 inch over
the parking lot....Enjoy your new boat(s)! Patrick in Wichita

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Pat, it is looking like an excellent family weekend time too.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Having a 26', I do agree that there could have been a better way to stop leakage at the chain plates into the deck and down to the bulkheads. I still don't understand why the chain plate deck plate can't be welded to the chain plate so there isn't the area for water to seep down and then you just butyl the deck plate cover as you do all other deck hardware. Somebody said that can't be done because the chain plate moves up and down and would tear the deck plate right out of the deck--really? I would think if it does move up or down the bulkhead would quickly tear apart.