Lost our Mast Hunter 260

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
We were called by the dock master this morning that due to heavy gusts of wind, our mast came down and also brought down the jib. The storm was unannounced and we have called our insurance company. Does anyone know approximately how much in damage we have incurred? the adjuster will be out in a few days, but I cannot find the replacement mast on the Hunter parts website

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We sold one a few years ago; looks like it will run between $2.5 - $3.5 plus the cost of the standing rigging, so maybe up to $4k all in, but there have been some price increases since then. The 260 used three different rigs so take a photo of the mast base and foot then give us a call tomorrow at 877-932-7245. We can determine which rig you have and if we can't get a replacement for you we can point you in the right direction.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Make sure to document time of damage precisely.. Insurance is going to increase your deductible a lot if the damage happened after Gordon was officially deemed to be a "Named Storm" ..
Part B: Consider it good that it came down with a relatively light load.. something else going on for it to have failed with no sail flying..

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
Thank you. It happened between 4-5. Am. Storm was not declared until after 8 an. The guard was st the club and there were gusts of 75 mph Thanks fir the input. Will keep you posted. You guys are great

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rosypar1
Look on the mast for s mfg sticker. If none look on the boom. As Phil mentioned it could be one of three not knowing the year of the boat. Long story but you can check the archives on that under my name. You could also get responses by posting photos of mast foot, boom, gudgeon and base of mast. The three mfgs were

1. Dwyer Aluminum (under new ownership)
2. Charleston Spar (formerly keyon isomer but now Sparcraft). Parts and mast sold thru rig rite as I was told the forum store could not get them unless changed)
3 US Spars formerly Z Spar

Post photos and advise any mfg stickers. Work thru the forum store. Currently owned by former Hunter employee and you do get there help here.
Crazy Dave

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rosypar1
Look on the mast for s mfg sticker. If none look on the boom. As Phil mentioned it could be one of three not knowing the year of the boat. Long story but you can check the archives on that under my name. You could also get responses by posting photos of mast foot, boom, gudgeon and base of mast. The three mfgs were

1. Dwyer Aluminum (under new ownership)
2. Charleston Spar (formerly keyon isomer but now Sparcraft). Parts and mast sold thru rig rite as I was told the forum store could not get them unless changed)
3 US Spars formerly Z Spar

Post photos and advise any mfg stickers. Work thru the forum store. Currently owned by former Hunter employee and you do get there help here.
Feel free to privately contact me if any issues with the adjuster. Was an adjuster before coming a sailboat dealer And very much involved with the 260 more than you will know. In fact Kermit was getting screwed on an insurance claim till I got involved
Crazy Dave

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
Mast seems good. Managed to pull out of water Picture attached of base plate. Struts bent and and one if the spreaders is bent also. Anyone know someone on Miami that can put this thing back together for us. Adjuster coming in 2 days. Thank you. Boom ok also. Took everything apart

Attachments

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Replacement in-deck solar panel

Finally, a drop-in replacement for the in-deck solar panel on Hunters built from the early 90s through the mid-2000s. Improved for longer life and greater output.
See the product

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Do you know what part failed during the storm, allowing the mast to fall?

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Dave helped me tremendously. Not only with the repairs but he knew how to talk to BoatUS about the claim. BoatUS came through like nobody’s business. Wonderful folks to deal with.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do you know what part failed during the storm, allowing the mast to fall?
Almost impossible for it to be anything other than lack of preventive maintaince. Masts don’t just blow over.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Which docks in Miami were you at? The first notice to reduce windage that I got from Miami came in at 9:57.

Nov 8, 2010
Which docks in Miami were you at? The first notice to reduce windage that I got from Miami came in at 9:57.
Yea that’s when CCSC sent out theirs.

Nov 8, 2010
The question you replied to was "what part failed". So, which part of the rig is called "lack of preventative maintenance"? I don't see that one listed in the parts lists for any of my boats. It must be a part that I haven't seen before.
The part that was ignored and failed. Maybe in your world masts just blow over in 50 knots of breeze. Not in mine.

Aug 22, 2017
The part that was ignored and failed. Maybe in your world masts just blow over in 50 knots of breeze. Not in mine.
Your reply was "Almost impossible for it to be anything other than lack of preventive maintaince. Masts don’t just blow over." I suppose that manufacturing defects, sabotage, improper repairs from a boat yard, installation of incorrect parts & improper crimping of a cable are all "almost impossible" to occur?

I too would like to know which part failed. The information might help me to avert a failure on another boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Your reply was "Almost impossible for it to be anything other than lack of preventive maintaince. Masts don’t just blow over." I suppose that manufacturing defects, sabotage, improper repairs from a boat yard, installation of incorrect parts & improper crimping of a cable are all "almost impossible" to occur?
Add all those up and it equals about a 1% chance of being the reason. Sabotage? Really?

Nov 8, 2010
Who is CCSC?
Typo. You know what I meant.

A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued! Get prepared and reduce your windage.

TROPICAL STORM GORDON HAS FORMED OVER EXTREME SOUTHERN MIAMI DADE COUNTY AND WILL CROSS FAR SOUTHWEST FLORIDA INTO THE GULF LATER THIS AFTERNOON. WINDS OF 30 TO 40 KNOTS WITH HIGHER GUSTS IN SQUALLS ARE EXPECTED THROUGH TODAY.

Reducing Windage (as instructed below) includes …
  • Taking all sails down, leaving them in the boat or at home.
  • Taking the bimini and frame down, and all canvas covers off
  • Taking the dingy and outboard off
  • Securing all line ends (halyards)
  • Replacing dorades and cowl vents with covers
  • Removing solar panels and windmills
  • Removing “deck junk” – BBQs, cushions, etc.
  • Closing all seacocks (reducing “sea-age”)

Aug 22, 2017
Add all those up and it equals about a 1% chance of being the reason. Sabotage? Really?
Spent much time in Miami lately?

Actually, I am really impressed with your powers of deduction. I find it fascinating that you can ascertain exactly what the cause of the problem was, without even seeing the boat.

Add to my previous list - perhaps another boat crashed into this one after slipping it's dock lines & severed a side stay or broke a chain plate

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Typo. You know what I meant.

A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued! Get prepared and reduce your windage.

TROPICAL STORM GORDON HAS FORMED OVER EXTREME SOUTHERN MIAMI DADE COUNTY AND WILL CROSS FAR SOUTHWEST FLORIDA INTO THE GULF LATER THIS AFTERNOON. WINDS OF 30 TO 40 KNOTS WITH HIGHER GUSTS IN SQUALLS ARE EXPECTED THROUGH TODAY.

Reducing Windage (as instructed below) includes …
  • Taking all sails down, leaving them in the boat or at home.
  • Taking the bimini and frame down, and all canvas covers off
  • Taking the dingy and outboard off
  • Securing all line ends (halyards)
  • Replacing dorades and cowl vents with covers
  • Removing solar panels and windmills
  • Removing “deck junk” – BBQs, cushions, etc.
  • Closing all seacocks (reducing “sea-age”)
I certainly would not advise closing *all* seacocks, if any of the seacocks in question happen to be for cockpit drains!