Hurricane Florence

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Someone tell me why gas station canopies over the pumps get destroyed in every storm and the code is never revised to make them storm worthy?
They should take them down before storms. TV crews love to film them rolling away as if that's an indication of how bad the storm is. All it means is that they are flimsy.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Actually Live Oak trees are very resistant loosing limbs and blowing over during hurricane. That is why they have survived for hundreds of years in hurricane zone areas and even dominate the large tree numbers close to the coast. While their tap root is not particularly long the roots intertwine. I guess in a subdivision where they cut down trees and leave only "isolated" live oaks maybe the dynamics change. The live oaks aren't good for ship building, which is also why they survived in the coastal regions and the aren't even very good for firewood if you have to split it by hand, the grain is two twisty.

Based on where rgranger has as his boat location (and I am assuming his home since it on or near a lake) near Smith Mountain Lake which is well inland and at a fairly high elevation he is refering to regular oak trees (red, pin, water, white, etc) rather than "live oaks" we have here in around Beaufort SC. I am not sure live oaks can even grow there?

See the link below for a video on why live oaks are so resistant to hurricane damage

Smokey
I recently read a book entitled "...The Secret Life of Trees.." which also details the phenomena you describe. Fascinating book for folks like me who have long ago forgotten my college biology courses.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
I recently read a book entitled "...The Secret Life of Trees.." which also details the phenomena you describe. Fascinating book for folks like me who have long ago forgotten my college biology courses.
Was that perhaps "The Hidden life of Trees?"
Oh, even more confusing, there are two books called "The Secret Life of Trees."
One by Colin Tudge, the other by Robin Blackwell.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The nature of live oaks in a strong breeze?
No live oak here. We have red, white, willow and pin oak here. They grow tall and proud and do not hold up well to the wind if the ground is soggy. Live oak grow out and less up and do a much better job of standing up in a wind.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Was that perhaps "The Hidden life of Trees?"
Oh, even more confusing, there are two books called "The Secret Life of Trees."
One by Colin Tudge, the other by Robin Blackwell.
Sorry for the confusion. The book I read is actually "The Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohlleben. Our home is in a heavily wooded area and I had observed various conditions over time and decided to search the literature to learn more about my trees.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Sorry for the confusion. The book I read is actually "The Hidden Life of Trees" by Peter Wohlleben. Our home is in a heavily wooded area and I had observed various conditions over time and decided to search the literature to learn more about my trees.
Thanks... I'll check it out. Fully reserved at the local library.

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
I'm back. New Bern stinks.

No, no, Sequoyah the Boat is fine but for a prow a bit damaged by an intimate encounter with a dock. I can fix that with a little fiberglass work. I may even put on a steel rub plate in case it ever happens again.

New Bern stinks literally. The streets, and many other spots of ground, are covered with a festering mud filled with leaves, twigs, seaweed, grass, and things I don't even want to think about considering I had to walk on it. I opened the doorway to the dockmaster's office to see if anyone was there, and that stinks, too. The water was three feet high in the building. I didn't go in. If anyone's there he's on his own.

The Grand came through well enough. Three boats sank, the end of A Dock was lost, some of the access ramps are missing, the gates are all bent out of shape, but the marina's still there. I was able to replace broken dock lines and otherwise tidy up Sequoyah. Some fenders are gone. Unlike some of the other boats her well rubbed prow is not holed, so there's no leak. The batteries are strong, so the bilge pump is working. Good thing. It may be several weeks before shore power is restored. If I have to I'll get some 6V golf cart batteries and wire them up in series as a backup.

Bridge Point Marina, just across the Trent River, is almost a wipeout. There's no telling where all those missing boats are. My guess is they're now navigation hazards in the channel, or some of them. Others fetched up with their masts, which are all that's showing, at crazy angles on the shores, the railroad trestle, and Heaven knows where else.

I'll return every few days until things are back to normal. In the meantime I'm ordering a few new fenders and looking for a hunk of stainless steel I can use as a battering ram on the prow.

But New Bern still stinks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Kermit ... That is in Teacher years. I think 3rd grade teachers age 12 years for every year they work. I think that is why they have to move them to other grades after a couple of years.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm back. New Bern stinks.

No, no, Sequoyah the Boat is fine but for a prow a bit damaged by an intimate encounter with a dock. I can fix that with a little fiberglass work. I may even put on a steel rub plate in case it ever happens again.

New Bern stinks literally. The streets, and many other spots of ground, are covered with a festering mud filled with leaves, twigs, seaweed, grass, and things I don't even want to think about considering I had to walk on it. I opened the doorway to the dockmaster's office to see if anyone was there, and that stinks, too. The water was three feet high in the building. I didn't go in. If anyone's there he's on his own.

The Grand came through well enough. Three boats sank, the end of A Dock was lost, some of the access ramps are missing, the gates are all bent out of shape, but the marina's still there. I was able to replace broken dock lines and otherwise tidy up Sequoyah. Some fenders are gone. Unlike some of the other boats her well rubbed prow is not holed, so there's no leak. The batteries are strong, so the bilge pump is working. Good thing. It may be several weeks before shore power is restored. If I have to I'll get some 6V golf cart batteries and wire them up in series as a backup.

Bridge Point Marina, just across the Trent River, is almost a wipeout. There's no telling where all those missing boats are. My guess is they're now navigation hazards in the channel, or some of them. Others fetched up with their masts, which are all that's showing, at crazy angles on the shores, the railroad trestle, and Heaven knows where else.

I'll return every few days until things are back to normal. In the meantime I'm ordering a few new fenders and looking for a hunk of stainless steel I can use as a battering ram on the prow.

But New Bern still stinks.
I'd love to see some pictures if you have them.