Hurricane Florence

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Laughter in the face of the misfortune of others is a natural, human, explosion of anxiety, a response representing a relief that one has escaped the pain and misfortune as well as a nervous recognition that we will not always be so fortunate. Do not criticize people for laughing or making light. We have all “whistled past the graveyard.”
Yes, it is sickening to see this misfortune. However, some of the images display unbelievable ideas: a 40 ft yacht nestled against a home. Talk about wanting to dock close to home!

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Not to make light of the situation there, but during superstorm Sandy most boats that got pulled out before the storm floated off their jack stands and were severely damaged or destroyed completely. the few of us that kept our boats in the water weathered the storm nicely. Fortunately, the pilings at our Marina are quite tall.
Interesting lessons here!

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
If you lose your sense of humor, you've lost everything.

I'm in the middle of this mess. Going to try to drive to New Bern tomorrow morning to eyeball my boat at the Grand, don't know if the roads will be passable. If I make it out alive I'll think of something funny to post to take off the edge. See you all then.

May 7, 2006
Catalina 28 Mark 1 New Bern

I'm in the middle of this mess. Going to try to drive to New Bern tomorrow
morning to eyeball my boat at the Grand, don't know if the roads will be passable. If I make it out alive I'll think of something funny to post to take off the edge. See you all then.
Most of the boats at the Grand did ok the boats at Bridgepoint didn't fair as well. The docks floated off the pilings. Depending on where you are coming from 264 17 and 43 were passable.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC

I'm in the middle of this mess. Going to try to drive to New Bern tomorrow morning to eyeball my boat at the Grand, don't know if the roads will be passable. If I make it out alive I'll think of something funny to post to take off the edge. See you all then.
Here's hoping you return to a sound boat standing proud or at least with no significant damage. Going for that first look is always a source of apprehension as you make the drive. Seeing the boat has weathered the storm a relief, and if it hasn't you have to remember that there are things you can control and things you can't. You can prepare your boat the best you can but another nearby boat, a floating dock, a log, or a myriad of other things can take her from you. Let us know and we're all cheering for good news from you and the other kindred souls there along the NC coast.

After Matthew I made that short drive and found her floating but on closer inspection found that a neighboring boat had broken free and caused a fair amount of damage but my insurance "did me right" on the settlement and she is back better than new.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Well, After losing a boat in Katrina, a year and a half to put my house back in order, and having to shutter my business for five months, I don't see much humor in any natural disaster. Best manner in which to deal with the aftermath is keeping a positive outlook and focusing on putting your life back in order. Hope all you in NC & SC weather this storm without too much heartache. And most of all, be careful out there, there were more people killed in my community after Katrina from electrocution, cutting trees, etc.

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
I work in a high crisis job field. Everyone deals with stress in different ways, but humor seems to be universal way to blow off steam.

It is one thing to make fun of somebody’s personal tragedy, but it is another to use humor as a coping mechanism. Just make sure you’re using it correctly.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Florence was basically a non-event for us... so far. Wateree Lake is on the rise so now I’m in a hurry to take the family pontoon boat off the lift before it either floats off or gets crushed into the roof. This picture is from June of this year. The water was just above flood stage. It could easily go 4 feet above what you see here. Two design mistakes are illustrated here. The dam has no flood gates and we didn’t take that into account when having the dock built.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Most of the really heavy rain occurred south of my house until about 3:00 AM this morning. We have standing water in the parking lot at work but other than that, we dodged a major bullet. People here were worried about the numerous oak trees. They grow tall and proud here but they do not set tap roots so when the ground is this wet and you get any wind, trees start rolling over.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Actually Live Oak trees are very resistant loosing limbs and blowing over during hurricane. That is why they have survived for hundreds of years in hurricane zone areas and even dominate the large tree numbers close to the coast. While their tap root is not particularly long the roots intertwine. I guess in a subdivision where they cut down trees and leave only "isolated" live oaks maybe the dynamics change. The live oaks aren't good for ship building, which is also why they survived in the coastal regions and the aren't even very good for firewood if you have to split it by hand, the grain is two twisty.

Based on where rgranger has as his boat location (and I am assuming his home since it on or near a lake) near Smith Mountain Lake which is well inland and at a fairly high elevation he is refering to regular oak trees (red, pin, water, white, etc) rather than "live oaks" we have here in around Beaufort SC. I am not sure live oaks can even grow there?

See the link below for a video on why live oaks are so resistant to hurricane damage

Smokey

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
When all that's left to do is laugh or cry laughter gets you much further than crying.

A friends father was a POW in Viet-Nam, he often said humor was one of the things that kept them going. One example was being allowed to shower after a particularly harsh interrogation session. He stood under the open pipe coming out of the wall put his face in the water and saw written above the pipe "Smile you're on Candid Camera". He said you did smile and it helped get through whatever came next.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The nature of live oaks in a strong breeze.
I think you mean "Water Oaks". They are shallow rooted.
Most Live Oaks along the Mississippi Gulf Coast survived Katrina and Camille. The evergreen oak with the Spanish Moss hanging from them.
Jim...

PS: @smokey73 was typing at same time.;)
PSS: When you visit @jssailem , you can sit under mine and sip an adult beverage.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I visited SC last April I enjoyed seeing those grand trees. I thought I placed a question mark at the end of my statement. My bad.
The trees I saw had limbs that dipped to the ground and would root.

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
My "favorite" hurricane was Gloria in 1985. My boat was due to be hauled at my club around when the storm was coming in. I had stripped the sails and it was as ready as it was going to be. A day after the storm I went out to see the damage. My boat wasn't on the mooring. I searched the yard. Not there. Suddenly, I remembered an area behind the clubhouse where they put some of the smaller boats and I started running around the building. Halfway around, I slowed. "It's insured, I thought. I can get a new boat." Finally, strolling around the corner, I have to admit I was half disappointed to see my boat sitting safe. My name is Dan, and I am addicted to boat buying.
So for everyone out there who has to shop for a replacement, I am here for you. All advice is free.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Banyon trees?
Nope - Live Oaks! google Angel Oak near Charleston SC and you'll get a picture of what he's talking about. Not all live oaks do this but many will eventually reach this stage, probably at the 300 to 400 year old range or so