Hurricane Florence

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Here is our H27 at the cherry point marina in North Carolina. Pic was taken about 7pm by a brave friend that stayed in the area. The boat behind the bush is ours. We anticipated a big rise in the bays water level so all lines on pilings were attached high up with a lot of slack. All the nice new finger piers and docks are 5 feet under water. Electrical pedestals are submerged. A 30 - 50 kt northeast wind has caused Pamlico sound to rapidly rise. It has come up 8 feet across the sound at the Oriental town dock. The city of New Bern at the western end of the sound is experiencing flooding also. It is forecasted to keep rising until the wind clocks to the south.
IMG_5932.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good luck... Come back and tell us how you got along.
Prayers for you and family are safe and that the boat is not damaged

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Keep safe; hope everything works out OK on the home front and boat. Keep us posted.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Your boat has plenty of company: MCB Camp Lejeune Commanding BGEN Alford decided to keep his Marines aboard at Camp Lejeune and has set up shelters for Marine families...kids...dogs...kitties. Boy, is he hearing about it (see facebook). They are experiencing 90mph winds now.
https://www.lejeune.marines.mil/

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I live near Parris Island and I think (just by observation of the many buses heading into the recruit training center) that they may have evacuated the recruits! Go figure.

Hope everything works out for your family and your boat. Hope those lines are secured so they can't slip off the top of those pilings :yikes:. Looks like you may have even more storm surge if that thing hangs around for a few more high tide cycles. Be safe! I'm down in Beaufort SC and we are not expecting much other than 20-30 kts winds in a day or two.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hate to see a boat rise above the poles. For a future occasion se if you can get your marina to spring for some large PVC pipes that can be cut and placed as sleeves over the poles to raise them at least 4 ft.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@heritage and @Chris Patterson;
My heart goes out to you Heritage. It looks like some boats as a dealer, American Marine & Sail Supply, I had dealings with.
Chris, the storm is now over you and I pray you are on high ground and SAFE.

Folks, This region is a low lying area and yes the high tide and with surge does not help. It is the aftermath of all the rain falling inland which will flood the rivers and coast for days. I well remember Dennis that came on shore and then went back out and back in followed by Floyd. I moored boats out in the Pamilico and got caught as someone did not pick me up. It was a boat I sold and the owner was tied up with Red Cross which I rode out on.
I ask for all your prayers and fellow sailors in that region to Include Chris and Heritage.

I am retired now but Oriental where I had a second location is under water and now with tornado warnings. Friends on the outer banks are loosing houses too.
Dave Condon

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Hurricane poles are taller than average dock poles so floating docks don't float away as readily. Also boat lines hopefully don't end up under water. And hopefully the boat comes down in its slip and not on the dock or a pole.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hurricane poles are taller than average dock poles so floating docks don't float away as readily. Also boat lines hopefully don't end up under water. And hopefully the boat comes down in its slip and not on the dock or a pole.
@shemandr is that what @Benny17441 was talking about when he suggested cutting some PVC pipe to slide over the pylons?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I just saw this on a current news report. Is this one of our peeps? I think the boat name is Endeavor. Not a great pic, but maybe one of our premier researches can shed some light. No details were in the report.

1536946829577.jpg

This photo provided by Angie Propst, shows a boat wedged in trees during Hurricane Florence in Oriental, North Carolina. (Angie Propst via AP)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Wow! Lost it's rudder. Bimmini frame all busted. Wonder how the keel fared. And hopefully it is resting and not bashed into the tree. Still going to take some creative thinking to move it back to the water.

As for our brothers in MCAS Cherry Point, we West Coast Marines got your back (sorta). :)

Oct 22, 2014
Thinking in the 33-38 foot range. 3/4 keel. Skeg hung rudder.
She does not look like an early Hunter. Rudder, windows, keel do not look correct.
Again... early Catalina. Rudder, windows, keel do not look correct.
Not looking like a Pearson... Rudder, windows, keel do not look correct.
Looks a bit like a Bristol.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Yeah, the CO (a two-star?) is taking heat now for keeping his troops on the base. However, I wouldn't be too worried about rising water right there, as the base (at least on the hwy. 101 side) sits relatively higher than most of the surrounding area.

Oct 22, 2014
Ah.. It is just another training exercise for the troops. They need to be prepared for everything. Only problem will be R&R will be a bit delayed due to lack of power in the neighboring towns. Some of the beer may not be cold.