Hunter holly and teak floor

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
Just acquired a 01 h260 and had some questions about the floor... the holly and teak floors seems to have had some water soaking and separation top still looks good but the floor seems soft and fluffy to walk over... I believe I need to replace it or at least lifted and dry it and reglue... what would be the best way to correct this problem?
Steve

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Kinda depends on how "soft and fluffy" the interior of the floor boards is. I'd replace it but teak and holly is REAL EXPENSIVE. With that in mind I have found oak and aspen plywood can be found with a grain pattern that looks pretty close to teak. and unstained aspen looks like holly.
Some tips if you want to make your own. route out the 1/4 grooves for the holly before cutting the piece outline shape. You get no tear outs this way. Sand and stain the "teak" and then install the "holly" in the grooves. it will stick up so CAREFULY use a jack plane to remove the excess holly. this was much easier than I though it would be and leaves a very slight raised holly "bump" that aides in making the surface non slip.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
I had similar issues. If the plywood has separated then it's likely trash. Mine was the same and besides the separation it had mold and yuck in between the plys. Don't think there is any way you could get glue between the plys.

However if you are cheap(like me) there another option that is easier than Bill's suggestion. I went to Home Depot and purchases sheets of their hard wood plywood. Then put masking tape down for the "Holly", and stained the remaining parts with Mohagany gel stain(the teak). Pulled up the tape and voila you have a very close simulation of teak and holly floor. Then I covered it with epoxy to seal and finished.

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
thanks for the responses .. I was thinking I may be able to save the top lam, will find out... I like the ability to buy a new piece and cut it in.. will keep you informed...

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
If the ply layers are delaminating the plywood floor is junk, salvageable only as fire kindling. As Rick D suggested, use 3/4 marine plywood. Any finish grade hardwood plywood such as sold at ANY of the big box stores is not made using a waterproof glue, regardless what the guy stocking the shelves tells you. It'll be prone to delaminating and warping. A teak veneer marine ply is available but $$$$$. Meranti is a good substitute. I would use Hard Maple as a substitute for the Holly. When I redid mine, I added a 1/4" x 1" strip on both the cross grain edges, this will greatly help to avoid edge splintering. Then cut a 1/2" round over profile on the underside of the new panel and finish the underside & edges with a penetrating epoxy. I finished the top side with a conversion varnish. Next trip up to the boat I'll take a detail pic if interested.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Any Pics? The great thing about wood is just about any repair can reasonably be done short of damage from burns, lol. If the top layer is genuine teak and holly, and it is still in good condition like you say, I think it can be saved... However comma... it takes some tools and woodworking skills. The easy part laminating the top layer back onto a new substrate of solid marine ply with epoxy. The hard part is getting that top layer off without damage and at a consistent thickness. A thickness planer is your friend here, the issue is most home shop thickness planers are between 12 and 14 inches wide, and I'm fairly certain your floor panels will be wider than that save a few small pieces and trim. If you know of a local wood-shop/cabinet maker I would inquire to see if they have a large thickness planer, wide enough to take your biggest floor panel through. If such a tool exists in your general area you could plane off the old ply underside until you end up with the last 1/4" (3/16" maybe?) of teak/holly top ply and epoxy that down onto fresh marine plywood sheets. I wouldn't even cut the plywood, I would arrange the teak/holly flooring on full sheets to maximize material, epoxy, lay over a plastic sheet, then lay a few heavy sheets of MDF on top for clamping force; rough cut the cured sheets with a jig saw then use a router with a trim bit to follow the original lines. Epoxy the back sides & edges. $200 to $300 in new marine ply and some epoxy is probably way less coin than new floors all together, Just my .02

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I replaced the teak and holly sole on my '83 Hunter. I was able to buy a sheet of 3/4" teakand holly for about $175. I cut it and varnished it using this method.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The floor pan of the H 260 is molded with a recess in it to accommodate the floor but under no circusmstances ever drill thru that or you will hit the top of the ballast tank lid underneath. The floor is first glued down with an adhesive and then the lip was sealed with the same material as used on the window. I think Dow 765 but may be wrong here but any good archeticual grade pure silicon will work. The key is to keep that seal completely in tact from water seeping underneath that floor.

Since we do not have a photo to show us the deterioration of that floor and or is warped will depend on what we see. If the floor is in still good condition and not warped, simply stand and walk over it pushing out the underlying water toweling the water up until no more comes out. A small shop vac with the inside liner removed helps too. Then let the floor dry for a week or two until the water is gone and dryed out. Then clean out that seal previously mentioned and place a new seal in. You can smooth it out with a finger wet with spit or alcohol but there are other ways as well.

Again, we would ask that you submit a photo or two to see what has happened to the floor.

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
Great information, the damage is from a cabin leak that stood for a while... the boat had not been moved for 2 years ... I will put some images up soon... I was able to pull up the flooring with some persuasion... it was de-laminated across almost all of it... seems to be a sheet of vinyl glued to plywood... I have separated the rotted from the vinyl, but there is a bad spot in it so probably will replace it... but it gives me a good pattern to work with... Tonite or tomorrow I will clean the recessed floor area and check it well for any damage...once it is clean I can proceed... thought there was a little soft area by the hinge side of the bath door... may have been just the spongy wood....

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG
IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
Got up to the boat today and started to put her to bed for the winter. I took some pics of the bilge covers that I redid. Mostly what I tried to show in these pics is the 1' x 1/4' strip that I inset along the ross grain edge of the covers. Also I inset a ring pull in each cover to aid in removing them. Previously the covers were screwed in place and had to be pried up, resulting in lots of chipped gel coat .
As you can see I haven't got a clue how to post pics, what am I doing wrong?IMG_0984.JPG

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Thanks for posting the pictures, you did a nice job with the floor boards.
I have trouble posting photos also, as do other folks.

Oct 13, 2017
Hunter H260 Pensacola
I cleaned the floor last nite and found no problems underthe plywood... I dont think this was a factory job ... the glue was not evenly applied, and I found evidence of epoxy glue... still have a bit to remove the last of the adhesives but looks good..the depth of the recess looks to be about 3/8" or less