Registered users don't see ads

Epic Fail

Discussion in 'Trailer Sailors' started by rgranger, Jun 13, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,960 posts, 898 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    Hello All

Thought I would share a really bone-headed mistake I made.... just in case it helps someone else.

I had planned a 10-day cruise in the NC outer banks with my youngest daughter as a final big father-daughter adventure before she heads off to college. I have done the same cruise with her three older siblings.

Yesterday, we were prepped and ready to launch. I was backing up the boat and was a little off line. I could have corrected but thought, I'll just pull up 20 feet and straighten out. And then the rig came crashing down. Yep! There was an overhead power line that I had actually noticed earlier. But that was two hours earlier and I was tired, and rushing and just plain forgot about it.

I will be spending a few weeks putting my boat back together. Guys!!! Make a check list and put "look overhead" on the list.

I was really feeling sorry for myself yesterday but this morning I am thankful that no one was hurt, the boat is fixable and none of my electronics got fried. I can fix this and I relearned a hard lesson.
    gooseneck-boom-end.jpg spreader-gone.jpg spreader-starboard.jpg roller drum.jpg drum-top.jpg

Will Gilmore likes this.
  2. Leeward Rail

Leeward Rail

Joined Mar 20, 2015
    1,474 posts, 303 likes
    Catalina 22 New Style
    CA SHYC, Lake Winnipeg
    That sucks. It's a bit too common an occurance I'm afraid, so don't beat yourself up.
    Hopefully this reminder will help someone, and like you say... you can repair the boat, and since no one was hurt, just end up taking her sailing later than planned.

rgranger likes this.
  3. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,960 posts, 898 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    Just got off of the phone with Joe at the SBO store. He thinks he can run down the parts for me. :thumbup: As it turns out, I got lucky. I should be able to get my rig back up with three simple parts. The cap on the end of the boom that fits in the goose neck, a bracket for the spreader and the SS cover-guide for the CDI furler.

I will need to hack off about an inch off of my boom but I have at least three inches remaining when I have my main's foot out hauled all the way so... that should be fine. I checked all of my stays, no meat hooks... so they are also okay. It looks like the failure point was the toggle on the end of the turn buckle for the CDI furler. So I will replace that turnbuckle also.

Leeward Rail likes this.
  4. JamesG161

JamesG161

Joined Feb 14, 2014
    2,907 posts, 846 likes
    Hunter 430
    US Waveland, MS
    OUCH!!
    Horray for big boats. Boo for slip fees.
    Jim...

5. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,998 posts, 2,288 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Awesome! Your mast fell but didn't break, bend, or crease. Amazing and very lucky you!

IDtrucks and rgranger like this.
  6. JRacer

JRacer

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    730 posts, 177 likes
    Beneteau 310
    US Cheney KS (Wichita)
    Glad to hear that only parts got broken. Could have been a lot worse.

7. Jtcf78911

Jtcf78911

Joined Aug 16, 2015
    130 posts, 12 likes
    O'Day 28
    US Salem, MA
    Sorry to see this but thanks for sharing. My wife is always telling me not to rush, especially on the boat. No reason for it and it just leads to, well, you know... Wives tend to be right about some things!! Tom O'Day 28

rgranger likes this.
  8. EV21

EV21

Joined Apr 29, 2016
    88 posts, 14 likes
    Macgregor 21 Venture
    US Delaware ...
    Thanks for sharing. Glad the only casualties were hardware.

rgranger likes this.
  9. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,749 posts, 1,175 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I never considered the possibility of overhead powerlines. I never grew up with trailerable boats, until I got my hobie cat. Even then, it wasn't until I asked a guy at West Marine, why the top of mast was composite and not aluminum all the way up. That's when I learned that people hit those powerlines ALL the time. I made an assessment of each boat launch area first thing after that. However, I never had to work around powerlines at any of the ramps I went to. I know, because I've made similar mistakes for different things, how easy it is to forget from one second to the next because, having made that initial assessment, you relax too much.

So glad to read you are down but not out.

- Will (Dragonfly)

rgranger likes this.
  10. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,912 posts, 544 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Man.. good that no one was hurt..

rgranger and Fred like this.
  11. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,998 posts, 2,288 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Its very interesting to me that a piece of the rigging failed before the spar did. And that you didn't feel it enough to stop. When you see a mast hit things like bridges the boat pops a wheelie before the mast breaks, normally at the spreaders. Can you post a pic of the failed part??

12. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    394 posts, 40 likes
    Precision 22 (Sold), O 240 (Sold), Precision 28
    US Somers Point
    I hope your able to get her back together and share that quality time with your daughter.

rgranger, Leeward Rail and Fred like this.
  13. Tedd

Tedd

Joined Jul 25, 2013
    55 posts, 13 likes
    Macgregor 26S
    CA near Vancouver, BC
    Oh man, that is painful!
    I've recently made a new mast raising system for my Mac 26S that makes it easy to put the rigging up and take it down while on the water. No more worrying about the mast while maneouvring at the boat launch!

[Edited to add: Glad everyone was okay the boat damage not too bad. Whew!]

rgranger likes this.
  14. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,960 posts, 898 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    @Jackdaw
    Here is a pic
    AF767C37-FE8E-4721-A21A-49C02C985860.jpeg

The ears that go around this T and are pintled to the bow chainplate failed . There was an extender that might have contributed. I don’t know the exact name of the extended but you see them all the time on the shrouds of smaller boats instead of turnbuckles.

Here are some more pics
    AF767C37-FE8E-4721-A21A-49C02C985860.jpeg 8D9FDAAF-755F-42B9-9394-03B7737046EE.jpeg 136B4A27-0348-4919-A7F9-AC57B86E1D4D.jpeg 2787D320-2298-47AD-B56E-FA0F333CE6A4.jpeg 3FC8E831-E404-4ADE-8A10-1ABBC21F53E5.jpeg

Will Gilmore likes this.
  15. FDL S2

FDL S2

Joined Jun 29, 2014
    117 posts, 33 likes
    S2 7.3
    US Fond du Lac
    Looking at the pictures, I'm guessing that you hit the overhead line with very top of the mast, it landed on the spreader and pulled the furler apart?

rgranger likes this.
  16. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,960 posts, 898 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    That would make sense. I think the goose neck on the boom took it hard due to the Vang attachment. The line on my Vang is a mess

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    FDL S2 likes this.
  17. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,960 posts, 898 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    ... and my electronics are still working:thumbup:

18. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,960 posts, 898 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    I may need to straighten some poles on my bimi:oops:

19. FDL S2

FDL S2

Joined Jun 29, 2014
    117 posts, 33 likes
    S2 7.3
    US Fond du Lac
    That sounds right. I'm always amazed at the stress these parts will take under sail, but then odd, non sailing stress will tear them apart.

20. shemandr

shemandr

Joined Jan 1, 2006
    3,484 posts, 567 likes
    Marblehead Skiff 14'
    US Greenport, NY
    I almost did that once. If it weren't for a teenage gal staffing a parking booth adjacent to the ramp I probably would have hit the power line. Sorry you're cruise is messed up. I hope you get the repairs done in time to do some version of it.

Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.