Registered users don't see ads

C-27 Refit/Refurb

Discussion in 'Mid-Size Boats' started by philwsailz, Oct 7, 2010. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    IMG_2095.JPG So... after a discussion with Don Moyer regarding rebuilding an OLD Oberdorfer pump, versus buying one of his new ones I bit the bullet and picked up a new pump. The money difference was negligible. I installed it yesterday and pre-primed it with my winterizing bypass plumbing before connecting it to the motor's cooling passages. 'Worked like a charm and pulled that lovely clear water in one side and out the other.

I was about to put gas in and fire it up yesterday but ran out of time. It's a good thing since tonight we're under a freeze warning. I popped a little RV antifreeze through the pump after church this morning. We're safe...

Maybe after next week we can hope to be past the final freeze.

2. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    Damn Mother Nature....

Still waiting for a good gut feeling we are done with hard freezes.... I want to hear that motor purring on the hard before I commit to splash day. In the meantime I have the mast back down out of the rafters finishing up with some final tweaks to the big stick prior to test fitting the new standing rigging IMG_2114.JPG

Here is the new audio signalling device...

3. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,362 posts, 838 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Is that for real?

4. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    yup...

To understand the why, you have to have been with me and my wife about 9 years ago on our Catalina 22 to enjoy the panic of being almost run over by a powerboat. Full daylight, main and 110 flying, no way to miss us, yet a couple and their dog almost broad-sided us... When they looked up and veered away in a panic, my only satisfaction was knowing they likely were needing to go to shore to change their shorts.

From that day on I had promised myself I would have a signalling device loud enough to reach out to that boat and warn them earlier... It is done...

5. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,362 posts, 838 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    Well, unless he was driving, I certainly wouldn't blame the dog. :biggrin:

6. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    That dog.... Shifty fella.... he leads an, um... interesting life. One of his mothers owns the boat, while the other mother owns a motorcycle and a sidecar. The dog gets a haircut that leaves him with a lion's mane look, sometimes dyed... And the dog usually is wearing a bandana. Except when in the sidecar and then he is usually sporting goggles....

What I am suggesting is that it might actually have been the dog....

justsomeguy likes this.
  7. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    A quick update from yesterday. I found a spare gallon of pink antifreeze in the shop while cleaning up and realized that while it would not get me running and up to thermostat temperature it would allow me to crank the motor and see if it would start. We are expecting another freeze this weekend so I am not ready to be putting water through the engine just yet unless I know I can keep the motor above freezing or re-winterize it.

SO, off to the gas station to get some non-ethanol fuel. 3 gallons to be exact. I put the fuel in mixed with some Marvel Mystery Oil and then used the recently installed primer bulb to fill the Moeller cartridge fuel filter and prime the carb.

Surprise 1: It turns out that the gasket for the sediment bowl on the fuel pump was missing so as I was priming the fuel line to the carb some gasoline ended up on the floor of the engine compartment. woops... That cleanup took about a solid half hour with the vent fan running and all of the hatches and ports opened. Eventually the odor was mostly gone and all of the spill had been wiped up. I left the vent fan running while I went to the house to eat dinner.

Surprise 2: So after dinner I went back out to the boat. Despite the sediment bowl gasket mishap, enough of the fuel had apparently gone to the carburetor for the bowl to fill up and seat the needle valve. I dropped the accessory raw-water intake hose into the pink antifreeze jug, gave a quick crank of the key, and lo and behold the motor fired right up. Hurray!

I cut and fitted a cork gasket for the sediment bowl and bonded the two together with some Permatex gasket sealant. It sat overnight on a flat-plane surface to set up. Tonight I will go re-install the sediment bowl and tighten it up. Crossed fingers I have taken care of the leak. I am glad I installed the primer bulb on the fuel line; it will help me make sure that the fuel system is really tight and leak-free. The only boom I want on this boat is the one holding the clew at the back of the main sail...

8. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    Picture worth a thousand words. Almost. :)

I have to order or build a new black pipe exhaust as mine cracked in two today after launch. Man an A4 with open exhaust sure sounds mean. LOL. Not to mention all the exhaust in the cabin! Thank goodness for a good gentle breeze today.

I'll get the stick up in the next week or so. Tension the rig and let her settle into new shape. Then I'll readjust the motor mounts to get back in line with the shaft. I'll probably call Don Moyer for the exhaust. His standard is based on the C27 so it should be bolt-on.

Baby steps but we're a few steps closer. IMG_2195.JPG

9. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    Well, the exhaust hot section is in transit and will be here Friday. I went ahead and bought a mechanical fuel pump rebuild kit for the spare pump I purchased and it is on its way with the exhaust part(s). Knock on wood I can get the mast to the dock soon and get that big stick in the air.

Stay tuned...

10. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    9,026 posts, 2,303 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Good deal! yes get the mast up, sailboats look particularly sorry when they are floating without a stick.

11. philwsailz

philwsailz

Joined Dec 11, 2008
    1,320 posts, 44 likes
    catalina C27
    US stillwater
    I have the A-Frame material purchased, and I have the block and tackle. The biggest issue is transport, as the most is lying in my shop about 15 miles from the boat. I have access to a trailer long enough to legally haul it. Sticking it up should really be no big deal...

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.