310 Battery Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Stu, I appreciate your reasoning for hooking up the house bank first to the alternator, and that is perfectly acceptable if that is your preferance. My preferance, however, is to first and foremost, have the start battery fully charged and to eliminate any possibility of accidently discharging it. I have been anchored in some remote locations where I wanted to be darn sure that engine would start when it came time to lift the anchor. My power requirements are such that a dead house bank would not be a serious matter. So far, this upgrade has worked out great for us.

Sep 29, 2009
2005 catalina 310 gig harbor, Wa
Tom, Paul, or anyone what size and CCA or MCA did you install for your starter battery? I got the add a battery switch from Blue Seas and plan on doing the mod in the next week or so. Still not sure if I should do it like Tom or Paul each of you did it a little different with respect to the location of the Starter battery and fuse blocks. I like your idea of not having to move the fuse blocks Tom.

dave

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Mine were Exide Nautilus Gold deep cycle 4D's @ 160 ah's each for a 320 ah bank.

If you replace them please do yourself a favor and go with 4 6V batts instead like the Trojan T105's, US Battery 2200's or similar. Easier to move, longer life and more amp hours. They will fit the same foot print as the 4D's yet last longer and give you 450 ah's vs. 320..

Feb 6, 1998
Stu, I appreciate your reasoning for hooking up the house bank first to the alternator, and that is perfectly acceptable if that is your preferance. My preferance, however, is to first and foremost, have the start battery fully charged and to eliminate any possibility of accidently discharging it. I have been anchored in some remote locations where I wanted to be darn sure that engine would start when it came time to lift the anchor. My power requirements are such that a dead house bank would not be a serious matter. So far, this upgrade has worked out great for us.

Tom,

The start battery is almost always at 98-99% charged anyway. Feeding it first is not necessary and can only serve to limit the house bank depending upon your ACR.

Starting the engine requires very, very little from a battery, many folks over think this and believe it requires a lot more than it really does. The peak in-rush current draw for a split second on my 44HP four cylinder Westerbeke is about 160 amps. My 44hp four cyl diesel engine does not even consume .1 ah from a 240 ah bank for starting! The starter motor on my Westerbeke is a 1.5 kW an the starters on the M-25's are .8 kW.

Any deep cycle bank will have way more than is needed in MCA's to crank a small diesel aux. For over 20 years I have started my engines off my house banks including a very large Cummins diesel in Downeast cruiser.

Battery acceptance and state of charge are the real questions. We must ascertain just what or why boaters thed to believe they would be limiting the recharging ability of the engine battery by first routing to the house bank and not the start.

As I mentioned above small diesel engines really don't take much battery capacity to start. In the context of battery acceptance you would really need to discharge a start battery considerably before it could even accept a charge.

We also need to keep in mind that the minute that ACR makes, the current from the full battery (your start battery in this case) starts dumping its charge and what the alt is putting out, into or through the ACR, and into the low bank along with what the alt can put in until max acceptance is met. This is one reason I prefer a Duo Charge or an Echo Charger because the full bank can't be bled off or cause a relay to make/break, make break.. With wet cells this is not a huge deal because of "acceptance" but with AGM's you can see a HUGE and FAST transfer of current between banks fast enough to drop the start battery voltage below the "combine threshold" long enough to open the relay, it then closes again and can repeat a few times before everything levels out.

With an ACR type relay it does not matter as much where the alt is connected except that if you feed the reserve batt and it combines with a much bigger deeply discharged house bank it can cause a drop in voltage that can make the relay cut in and out many times before the house voltage can be sustained without cutting out the relay on low voltage. Feeding the house bank first avoids this game of cut in/cut out, cut in/cut out..

A fully charged start battery might wind up at 95-98% of capacity, after a worst case scenario start up, that perhaps involved more cranking than normal. This, to an alternator, is basically seen as a fully charged battery and it will react accordingly with low output limited by acceptance.

I have actually pulled my stop lever, closed my seacock and cranked enough, intermittently of course, to have water-locked my engine if I had left the seacock open. I still used only about 1% of the 240 ah banks capacity leaving me at a 99% state of charge. Even one full minute of cranking with a 150 amp starter draw is still only 2.5 amp hours from a battery.

On even the smallest group 24 start battery, with roughly 65 amp hours available, this still leaves you at over a 96% state of charge. Considering the acceptance rates of wet cell batteries is roughly 20-25% of the 20 hour rating the MAX a 65 ah group 24 wet cell will accept, when it is flat out dead, is about 16 amps. The 16 amps only happens of course when the battery is basically dead. At 96% SOC you'll be lucky to force even one or two amps into it. Even if you were to consume 5% of the ah capacity your battery will still barely be accepting 1-2 amps at the most depending upon the start bank size and chemistry. AGM's of course accept a lot more than wet cells do.

By wiring to the start battery first, and sensing it, you can actually cheat your whole system of alternator output. This is why Xantrex designed the Echo Charge. They recognized that the start battery will rarely if ever need more than about 15 amps in reality will usually only need an amp or two. Their directions are clear that you should wire to the house bank first and then use the Echo to feed a start battery or other aux battery.

One reason I really like the Balmar Duo Charge is because a start battery generally does not need the 14.2-14.4 volts the house bank does, as it resides almost 100% of the time above 95% SOC, or what we refer to as float voltage range. When a start battery is sitting at 98-99% SOC a device that can send 13.2-13.4 to the emergency/start batt and 14+ to the house bank, is a smart device indeed. ACR's and the Echo Charger don't do this but the Duo does. ACR's and the Echo are voltage followers. Combiners combine and thus the bank becomes one homogeneous voltage thus over charging is not possible unless you have a single stage regulator with a high set point and constant 14.6 volts out.

There is nothing wrong with an ACR, they work well, but I agree 100% with Stu in that your alt and charging system would be better served by wiring the alt directly to the house bank first, not the start battery first.

Hope that made sense..?

P.S. Here's how I buttered my batts up and slid them in on my old 310. This was during the test fitting. I was able to get a battery box in around the start battery..

Sep 29, 2009
OK now I am confused. Main Sail thanks for the post I have been the beneficiary of several of your project articles and I cannot say enough about their quality and attention to detail along with the excellent photography. Thank you! I was all set on upgrading my newly purchased '05 310 with a Blue Seas Add a Battery kit. I was going to wire my stock alternator directly to my newly paralleled 4d's and connect the ACR between the new house batteries and my new start battery. Also I was going to replace my 1-2-both battery switch with the On-Off switch that comes in the kit. Now you have gone and confused my with the Duo charger info. Now I am not sure what I should do. The Duo charger seems like it might treat my starter nicer, but I am not sure if I need that in my application. Its late and I am tired so if you have time just tell me which way to go. ACR or Duo Charger and what to do about that switch. Also I love Maine. My wife and I just went to your neck of the woods this fall and really fell in love.. Of course we left before it got really cold and white. Thanks again for all your hard work and help.

Dave in Seattle.

Feb 6, 1998
OK now I am confused. Main Sail thanks for the post I have been the beneficiary of several of your project articles and I cannot say enough about their quality and attention to detail along with the excellent photography. Thank you! I was all set on upgrading my newly purchased '05 310 with a Blue Seas Add a Battery kit. I was going to wire my stock alternator directly to my newly paralleled 4d's and connect the ACR between the new house batteries and my new start battery. Also I was going to replace my 1-2-both battery switch with the On-Off switch that comes in the kit. Now you have gone and confused my with the Duo charger info. Now I am not sure what I should do. The Duo charger seems like it might treat my starter nicer, but I am not sure if I need that in my application. Its late and I am tired so if you have time just tell me which way to go. ACR or Duo Charger and what to do about that switch. Also I love Maine. My wife and I just went to your neck of the woods this fall and really fell in love.. Of course we left before it got really cold and white. Thanks again for all your hard work and help.
Dave in Seattle.
You can stay with the ACR with wet cells but please do KEEP the 1/2/BOTH/OFF. Everything you need for a very simple and redundant system is already there and there is no need to spend more money on new switches over what you already have.

Simply make your 4D's the house bank, ,or "primary" and the start/emergency battery #2 or "back up/secondary". #2 as a "secondary batt" for me is always easy to remember but this is just a preference.

When you get to the boat simply switch to bank 1. When you leave the boat simply switch to OFF. You'll use the house batts for everything.. By doing this you'll only ever need to use position #1/House yet your emergency (start) bank will always be sufficiently charged if and when it is needed. This charging of the start bank will all be done behind the scenes and is automatic. Doing this avoids the large "human error" factor..

If you kill a bank don't fall into the trap of combining the dead bank with a perfectly good one. Simply switch to the second bank when you need to. Combining a good bank with a dead bank only bleeds off precious cranking amps from the good battery..

If you are never discharging the house bank below 50% state of charge you should be able to start your engine just fine using the house bank and will only ever use the battery switch when you get to the boat to flip it to position #1/House. When you leave turn it to OFF...

You made the right choice in feeding the alt to the house bank and not the start as the start bank is for back up or emergency, in your situation, and would usually be at or near 100% SOC.

The 1/2/ALL/OFF switch is a great device, if wired appropriately. When wired in the fashion most builders do, it sucks and thus gets a bad rap.

The 1/2/ALL/OFF switch retains all the original features yet looses the frying of diodes and the switching back and forth if you wire the alt direct to house and use an ACR, Echo or Duo type charger to top off the start bank.

For instance if your ACR or Echo Charger failed, which could happen, you can always use the ALL/BOTH feature to charge both banks from the alt just as you always did. No repairs or jumper wires just flip the switch to ALL, for charging, and you're back in business.. You will not however fry the alternator diodes because it always has a load on it by wiring directly to the house bank.

As always there is no one right way to wire banks, unless you do it dangerously, but on small boats it makes little sense to ditch a perfectly good 1/2ALL/OFF when a simple re-wire will give you everything you need with simplicity and total redundancy should a combiner fail..

#1 Parallel the 4D's & assign to batt switch position #1
#2 Install start battery and connect to position #2
#3 Wire alternator output directly to the house bank with sufficient size cable & fuse.
#4 Install ACR between banks.
#5 Use boat in position #1 for starting and house loads. Switch to OFF when you leave it's that simple.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stu, I appreciate your reasoning for hooking up the house bank first to the alternator, and that is perfectly acceptable if that is your preferance. My preferance, however, is to first and foremost, have the start battery fully charged and to eliminate any possibility of accidently discharging it.
Tom, I wrote the following for a C34 colleague many years ago. He, too, had wired his start bank first and used his combiner (like an ACR functionally) to then charge his house bank. The issue is not so much a "preference" but rather an engineering issue, because first, your reserve bank will almost always be full even after numerous engine starts while your house bank will experience discharge, and second, as I noted in my previous post, there is no reason to run all the amperage to charge your house bank through the ACR because it has much smaller wires, hence more voltage drop. You might consider revising your thinking FROM your concern about your reserve bank TO the most expeditious way to recharge your house bank after a night or two on the hook because your reserve bank is always full.

Maine Sail and I are also proponents of using the house bank for everything, including engine starts and keeping the reserve bank for just that, a reserve. Only downside to that is when starting the engine some electronics do drop out.

If you have a dual circuit switch and either of your banks die, moving the switch combines a good bank with a bad one. That's why I still prefer the simple 1-2-B switch.

Your boat, your choice. I am not trying to get you to change your mind and change your wiring, I am simply providing you with information that you, and others, can choose to understand and make decisions from. However, Maine Sail's point about your start bank discharging into a depleted house bank has great merit. I urge you to think a lot more about this.

However, different from yours, I’ve wired the alternator charging to the HOUSE bank, NOT the starting battery. Reasoning is this: from the West Marine battery combiner installation manual: “The act of starting an engine uses very little electricity - perhaps two amp hours - so engine starting batteries are almost fully charged. House batteries, on the other hand, are frequently deeply discharged, since their purpose is to is to power loads until you discharge them. If the alternator is connected to the engine battery, all of the charge current that goes into the house bank must run through the Battery Combiner, since the engine battery does not need to be charged. It is a more
efficient solution to connect the alternator output to the house battery bank(s) so the combiner does not have to pass as much current. Remember the size of the wiring to and from the combiner - it's a heck of a lot smaller than the battery cables. Why run current through smaller wires?

In addition, you noted: “Since I start out with full batteries when I go sailing or cruising I reasoned that I first want to replenish the starting battery in case I need to start it again for some reason.” First, once you’re “out there” awhile away from daily shorepower, your house bank WILL be lower than the starting bank. I don’t think that one could guarantee that starting out with full batteries will work or happen all the time. Think of your proposed cruising dreams in Belize. Think :”I’m gonna be on the hook, nowhere to plug in”. What you always want to do is keep the house bank up as high as possible, since once you’re away from the dock, more’s coming out of that bank than the starting
bank, after all, you only just used two amps in about 30 seconds to start the engine. The second you turn on your refrigerator and instruments, you’re pulling 5-8 amps out of the house bank right away. Second, replenishing the starting battery is done almost immediately through the combiner once the alternator starts, since you’ve only taken less than 2 amps out of it. With a 120 Ah starting battery, using the 50% rule, and with 20% charging inefficiency fudge factor, you have 60 * .8 = 48 amps available to you. Divide by 2 amps per start and you’ve got 24 starts even before you even have to charge the starting battery at all! And once the engine is going, you put those 2 amps right back but, but where they’re REALLY needed is in the house bank.

Most people have it COMPLETELY BACKWARDS. They keep plugged in all week and think that that is the way they will always be using their boats.

Except when it comes time to anchor. Or they're in a marina with no shorepower. Or the shorepower fails due to a storm.

Please start thinking of being OFF the grid, not being attached to it, and think about what you need to do to recharge a depleted bank, not how to keep a full one full.

Please.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
OK now I am confused.
Dave,

I concur with Maine Sail. I have been working on a little thesis called "In Defense of the Simple 1-2-B Switch" for many years now, and Maine Sail has presented many of my contentions in a much more lucid manner than I have been able to do so far.

I believe the dual circuit switch, the Blue Seas thingie, is a disaster waiting to happen to unsuspecting boat owners who don't know much about electrical systems, because it combines bad battery banks with good ones instead of isolating them, if one dies.

In addition to Maine Sail's post above, try this, it's long, and it takes me a while to get to the point, but it's all there. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4623.0.html

I worked with Paul J to design his setup, which is what Maine Sail describes. Simple.

For those of you who don't wanna bother wading through maybe all of ten minutes of reading, my conclusion on the "dual circuit switch: is as follows. My apologies to those who have purchased and installed them.

For the new Dual Circuit switches, if you follow the wiring and the switch positions, you'll see that it has a limitation, an unintended consequence if you will, that the old 1-2-B switches do not have.

The dual circuit either separates the reserve and house banks or combines them. There is NO position on the new switch that allow JUST the reserve bank to provide power. So, if your house bank is dead flat (for whatever reason), putting the dual circuit switch in the combined position means your reserve bank is gonna bleed into the dead house bank.

That concept is basic stupidity
for using battery banks.

The ONLY thing it's good for is isolating electronics by always starting on a separate ("start" not reserve) bank than the house bank. A much better way to do this is to buy a separate very small (PWC type) 12V battery for your electronics, because paralleling a good bank and bad one is nonsense.

The advantages of the 1-2-B switch is that the house bank can be completely disconnected from any load and the reserve bank can be used for (albeit controlled and limited) house loads.

Sep 29, 2009
Stu and Main Sail, Thanks for all your input. I am not sure how my '05 310 is wired with respect to the alternator and 1-2-B switch I will have to investigate. It sounds like Catalina wires it from the alternator output to the switch is that the most common. I think I am beginning to understand your points. It sounds like having the start battery wired as a reserve only has merit. Do either of you advocate wiring the Windlass to the start battery? It seems that it is there I should do something with it? Thanks for the clear explanations. I came across another curious issue with respect to my DC panel and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have a navpod for my three instruments Autopilot,Depth, and Speed and they seem to all be wired to both the Nav/Com circuit and the top right accessory circuit. This can't be right any thoughts.

Thanks again,

dave

Feb 6, 1998
I am not sure how my '05 310 is wired with respect to the alternator and 1-2-B switch I will have to investigate.
The alt is wired, or jumped over, to the starter post with about a 10 ga wire. The starter battery cable then runs to the common post on the batt switch.

You'll want to remove the jumper wire and run a new wire directly from the alt to the house bank using sufficient size wire for the alt output..

Do either of you advocate wiring the Windlass to the start battery?
Not me. Start batteries have lots of thin plates and are designed to deliver short bursts of power, 3-20 seconds. In deep water you can be running a windlass for upwards of three or four minutes on and off. Save your start battery and use the house bank.

It seems that it is there I should do something with it?
Yes, use it as your emergency back up battery. I vacuum my boat once per week and use the start battery so I know it is still working and it gets some exercise. My vac draws quite a bit and gives it a good work out.

I have a navpod for my three instruments Autopilot,Depth, and Speed and they seem to all be wired to both the Nav/Com circuit and the top right accessory circuit. This can't be right any thoughts.
I am having a tough time understanding what you are describing??:confused:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Wow, guys, a lot to think about. Thanks for the input, Stu and Maine Sail. I can see now why wiring the alt to the house bank first is not just a "preference". Guess I'm just looking for a fool-proof way for an old sailor to keep from killing both battery banks. At least my ACR cables are the same size as my battery cables, so I'm not too worried about any voltage drop. Changing the ACR over to charge the house bank first will only take a few minutes, so I'll probably give that a shot.

Feb 26, 2004
At least my ACR cables are the same size as my battery cables, so I'm not too worried about any voltage drop.
Tom, glad we could help. Not sure I understand your reference to the cable size. Battery cables to and from what? Most battery output cables to a 1-2-B switch or the distribution panel (DP) are #4. This is OK since the DP draw is usually well below 30 A. The short term but high amperage draw of the starter can be handled by #4 but many have upsized those wires - battery to 1-2-B switch, switch to starter (mine are still #4 and have been working for 22 years). The alternator output cable from the alternator to the house bank, however, may need to be increased, because higher output alternators can output 50 A easily to a 50% discharged house bank. So, first be specific about what cables you're referring to and then just check the amperage you're dealing with before deciding. Now, that said, once you correct the flow and the alternator output goes to the house bank in properly sized wire for the load and distance there and back through the ground wires also suitably sized, there is really very little amperage going from the house bank through the ACR to the reserve bank because the reserve bnank is always almost completely full!;)

Guess I'm just looking for a fool-proof way for an old sailor to keep from killing both battery banks.
That's why the 1-2-B kept on "1" is about as simple as it can get!:)

One further note: Maine Sail wrote: We also need to keep in mind that the minute that ACR makes, the current from the full battery (your start battery in this case) starts dumping its charge and what the alt is putting out, into or through the ACR, and into the low bank.

What he & I and others have mentioned a number of times, and bears repeating is this: Too many people think of running their storage batteries based on when they leave their marina after being plugged in all week. That's simply backwards. When it comes to charging house banks, one must think of "How to Charge When Off the Grid."

Think of how the charging system has to work when the house bank is 50% discharged and needs to be recharged.

That is the challenge that we face as cruisers.

Sep 29, 2009
More questions.....I am a truckman after all.

The alt is wired, or jumped over, to the starter post with about a 10 ga wire. The starter battery cable then runs to the common post on the batt switch.

You'll want to remove the jumper wire and run a new wire directly from the alt to the house bank using sufficient size wire for the alt output..
By my calc. I should use an 8-10 ga. wire from alt. to house bank and leave the wire from starter to the switch.

Yes, use it as your emergency back up battery. I vacuum my boat once per week and use the start battery so I know it is still working and it gets some exercise. My vac draws quite a bit and gives it a good work out.
Do you have your start battery wired to a 12 plug or just use alligators for your 12V vac?

I am having a tough time understanding what you are describing??:confused:

What I have is 3 instruments in a navpod on the steering pedestal that all are powered by one switch on the DC panel. I thought it to be the one labeled "Nav/Comm"on the DC panel. What I found out is both the "Nav/Comm" switch and the top right "accessory" switch both supply power to the instruments in the Navpod those being Raymarine ST60 speed, depth and and autopilot. This doesn't seem right. Should I have one power up the autopilot independant of the others on that extra switch? Another question comes to mind is it common practice to sail, motor or whatever with the autopilot on standby or always on for safety reasons in case you wanted to hit auto quickly.

Feb 26, 2004
1. By my calc. I should use an 8-10 ga. wire from alt. to house bank and leave the wire from starter to the switch.

2. Navpod wiring.

3. Another question comes to mind is it common practice to sail, motor or whatever with the autopilot on standby or always on for safety reasons in case you wanted to hit auto quickly.
1. That sounds very small. The OEM alternator is 55 A and will put out about 25 A max on a fully discharged house bank of reasonable size (300-400 ah) at cruising speed when first started. Since an internal regulator is a tapering charger, you won't see that for long, but it will happen. However, if you are thinking about installing a higher output alternator in the future, why not install a heavier wire now? Our 100A alternator and MaxCharge 612 regulator put out 50A continuous charge on bulk. We used #2 wire from the alternator to the house bank. #4 is too small for that amperage for that distance. They don't make a #3 wire!!!:) Remember, the distance is doubled, calculate the whole circuit, + and- .

2. Yes, the autopilot should be on its own circuit. Weird wiring there. Fix it.

3. Standby leaves it powered up and ready to go unless you're using the autopilot in which case it's on in the auto position. It doesn't steer the boat in standby. I really don't understand the question.

Feb 6, 1998
1. That sounds very small. The OEM alternator is 55 A and will put out about 25 A max on a fully discharged house bank of reasonable size (300-400 ah) at cruising speed when first started.
Actually a 300 ah bank can accept about 60 amps at a 20% acceptance figure based on the 20 hour ah rating of the battery.

Figuring a 12 foot round trip (batts are grounded to the engine 6 feet of wire there 6 feet back) at a 2% voltage drop and 55 amps max output you'd want about a 4 AWG. You really want to avoid additional resistance or voltage drop in a charging system or funky things can happen.

Since an internal regulator is a tapering charger, you won't see that for long, but it will happen.
The internal regulator on that motor is voltage sensed (constant voltage) and resistance driven (battery resistance). If the batteries will accept it the alternator & regulator will give it in terms of amps. Until you hit about 80% state of charge the internal regulator will put out what the batteries can accept and when you hit 80% the acceptance rapidly begins to decline.

The big difference is that it won't do a float voltage stage but it will drop the amps as the battery resistance tells it to..

However, if you are thinking about installing a higher output alternator in the future, why not install a heavier wire now? Our 100A alternator and MaxCharge 612 regulator put out 50A continuous charge on bulk. We used #2 wire from the alternator to the house bank. #4 is too small for that amperage for that distance. They don't make a #3 wire!!!:) Remember, the distance is doubled, calculate the whole circuit, + and- .
Depending upon his bank size he may not need a larger alternator. An alt that can deliver about 20-40% of the batteries 20 hour rating is usually sufficient. For wet cells a 100 ah battery can accept abut 20 amps, 200 ah bank about 40 amps, 300 ah about 60 amps and a 400 ah bank about 80 amps. If you want to push more amps in than the 20-25% it is a good idea to have temperature compensation for both the alt and the banks, and the ability to add water to your batts, because the only way to force more current is to raise the voltage..

I usually like to go a little bigger with the alt though so you're not maxing it out. 100 amps on a 400 amp bank is decent but 110 is slightly better. 200 would be useless unless you had AGM's...

Jul 21, 2009
Catalina 310 Saint Petersburg, FL
Safe-Start.com in the Southeast

Does anyone know the name/type of lead acid batteries on the 310. Also is there any information out there on them. I may replace my batteries this year and would like to know more so I can make an informed decision. I have the stock batteries.
http://www.safe-start.com/about/locations/

Sells 4D Full River AGM @ $449
Sells 24 AGM Full River @ $207

Before I added new Batteries I place a 10 amp trickle charge on the House two 4d's for 24 hours and they read full charge. Did the same to the engine start 24 and it read full charge also. Its just a matter of time till I will need to replace the three batteries. For sure will go with AGM and the last time I worked with wet batteries I had to throw out the holes in my pants.

I have a boat battery charger and run the 30amp shore power as the current wetslip power strategy.

Feb 26, 2004
Another thought on dual circuit switches

In a discussion over on the main board about system wiring, the dual circuit switch came up yet again. http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=114941

Someone noted: Another nice feature [of the dual circuit switch] is isolation of the house circuits from starting loads automatically. I do completely agree that that is the one (only) positive feature of the approach [of using the dual circuit switch compared to the 1-2-B switch and using the house bank for everything], and is the only one I can think of related to anything about that switch.

And in thinking about it some more, I am quite sure that by installing heavier gauge wiring for electronics the momentary voltage dip when starting the engine can be eliminated from the electronics circuits, making the dual circuit switch completely useless compared to the 1-2-B switch.

And that wire size increase would most likely be on the wiring from the battery banks to the 1-2-B switch and also from the switch to the starter. On my boat I can parallel an old abandoned wire from the switch to the engine and essentially double the size of the existing #4 AWG and see if that works. A springtime project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.