HUNTER 320 ENGINE ROOM.

Oct 24, 2011
Hunter 320 Fort lauderdale
The Dripless Box is not original equipment for the 2001 h320. We do not know what was done during the installation. It seems the transmission coupler is sitting about 3 inches back from where it should be positioned, but it could be the angle of the photos. Don't know when you purchased the boat or if a recent survey was conducted, but if it was, check and see if the issue was mentioned and perhaps bring the surveyor back to look at it. They have Errors and Omissions insurance coverage which could help with the costs of any repairs in case he missed a fault here. Are there any drive train vibrations or undue knocks ? Don't go by what the motor mounts look as they could look new and the rubber be detached, split or simply soft. The best test for the motor mounts is to see how they perform. Check for any modifications around the seat of the motor mounts and check and see if the correct ones were installed. Could it be a fault during the manufacturing process, yes seems the workers tend to creatively fix problems that arise with or without the knowledge of the Company. In any instance the exposed wood should be repaired; allowed to dry, bathed in epoxy and glassed over.
Thank you for the great and well written reply. My engine doesn’t have any odd vibration or knocking, I changed the propeller and all wet relations to the axle. It is aligned and balanced.
The stuffing box is an upgrade done by the former owner, like our friend I am obsessed with cleaning, and have everything up to date. My boat looks like brand new, but this part.
I decided to put the boat on hard dock to do a check it all. I will post some pictures and keep you all updated.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
In the photos the front engine mounts are at the ends of the stringers. There does not appear to be enough room to bring the engine forward, at least with those mounts. When out of the water you might want to check shaft alignment in the stern tube. The dripless packing may look overcompressed but PYS changed the bellows design and they now look like that when installed.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The dripless packing may look overcompressed but PYS changed the bellows design and they now look like that when installed.
You might look to verify that.:badbad:

I am about to change, mine made by PYI Inc.
There is no design change in my size PSS seal bellows. Evenly spaced and sized compression ribs.

So that is why I noted it may not be a PYI made seal.
Jim...

PS: Packless Shaft Seal = PSS , PYI is the company name that made mine.

Oct 24, 2011
In the photos the front engine mounts are at the ends of the stringers. There does not appear to be enough room to bring the engine forward, at least with those mounts. When out of the water you might want to check shaft alignment in the stern tube. The dripless packing may look overcompressed but PYS changed the bellows design and they now look like that when installed.
I will keep you posted.
The problem here in Fort Lauderdale is finding a professional who wants to work in these small engines. They just want huge yachts, when I tell them that I have a Yanmar 2GM20, they just hang up. hahahahahaha!
Thank you very much for your nice reply.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
James, I stand corrected, it is PYI and the design has changed. See photo of the old design bellows and the new next to each other. When you compress the new bellows as per the instructions it looks like Skipperclaud's.
53946633-186B-4432-A15F-1B43CA217581.jpeg

Oct 24, 2011
Hello guys, I have some update on this weird situation.
After emailing thousand people, asking for some reasonable explanation why my hunter has the coupler spinning so low, why, why , and why?... I got to the conclusion; whoever worked during the powering stage of the boat manufacturing, made the shaft hole on the hull way too low, and the solution to align the transmission to it, was lowering the engine. Mystery solved and here are some pictures of the ongoing restoration.
Still a lot of work to do, because on my standard it has to be the best that can be.
My 320 is like a brand new boat, all the eletronics has 5 months old.
remember how was,
1617566964313.png

It is not finished yet but right now looks like this.
1617567117673.png

And the rusty coupler.
1617567419789.png

1617568059283.png

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Be aware that the coupler should be a very very tight fit. If not it will work itself loose. A new coupler is not expensive, I suggest you look into a replacement coupler.