Random Yanmar instrument warning light and buzzer

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 30 Lake Travis, Austin Texas
View attachment 227765

The above two flanges are held together by nuts and bolts.

Your flanges were held together with one of the flanges having two threaded holes.

Convert the buggered up hole in the flange to be held together with a nut and bolt.
I appreciate your input, but I still don't get it since the buggered up hole still needs to be drilled out and tapped for the mating flange to bolt to. Unless you mean to drill and tap, then put in a threaded stud to bolt to instead of bolting through the top flange. Either way would work, but it seems like the bolt is the simplest solution.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
appreciate your input, but I still don't get it since the buggered up hole still needs to be drilled out and tapped for the mating flange to bolt to.
1727378220455.png

You do not need to tap into the mating flange. You don't bolt into the mating flange. You bolt THROUGH the mating flange and have a nut on the other side. Look at the red flangesin post #40 and picture how those two flanges are bolted together with 2 nuts and 2 bolts.

1727379054620.png

One set of holes in YOUR two flanges are going to be like this with NO threads in either flange.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Doesn't look like the flange has room for a nut behind it. @Ralph Johnstone if you look at the photos closely you can see the threaded holes are into a bulge in the casting, not an ear.

Will need to be welded, drilled and tapped. A skilled machine shop should be able to do it.

If that hole was wasn't offset from its original location, a thread cert would likely have worked.

Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
I replaced the exhaust elbow last spring, and turned a relatively easy project into a debacle. I learned that I should have removed the exhaust manifold with elbow attached and then proceed to attempt removing bolts, rather than squeezing into small engine compartment draped over engine and trying to loosen cooked in bolt. One bolt broke off and I tried to drill out broken bolt with extractor kit. That became a disaster and I stopped my attempts after almost destroying manifold. I searched high and low for a replacement manifold for the 2qm15 and found one in France for $350 plus shipping (heavy), but decided to try my luck with a fabricator down the street. Fabricator worked his magic (cast iron not easy) and done in a week. Replaced exhaust hosing also.
image3 (1).JPEG

This was my experience, should have removed manifold from the start, in the end got it worked out by going to a good metal fabricator.
Got the exhaust manifold off. Now I need to drill and tap it. Should have the new thermostat in a couple of days.View attachment 227761View attachment 227762
I replaced the exhaust elbow last spring, and turned a relatively easy project into a debacle. I learned that I should have removed the exhaust manifold with elbow attached and then proceed to attempt removing bolts, rather than squeezing into small engine compartment draped over engine and trying to loosen cooked in bolt. One bolt broke off and I tried to drill out broken bolt with extractor kit. That became a disaster and I stopped my attempts after almost destroying manifold. I searched high and low for a replacement manifold for the 2qm15 and found one in France for $350 plus shipping (heavy), but decided to try my luck with a fabricator down the street. Fabricator worked his magic (cast iron not easy) and done in a week. Replaced exhaust hosing also.
image3 (1).JPEG

Oct 8, 2023
image3 (1).JPEG

This was my experience, should have removed manifold from the start, in the end got it worked out by going to a good metal fabricator.

image3 (1).JPEG
Thanks for sharing, Boomer2it. I was very fortunate in that the elbow bolts came out easily, even while working in the confined space. I'm going to use J_B Weld steel reenforced epoxy to fill the small offset hole and then drill the new hole on a drill press. I should then be able to tap the hole enough to get a good bite. We shall see if it works!

Jul 20, 2020
Hunter 30 1001 Nyack NY Hudson River
Thats why I had to find a fabricator that knows much more about metals than I, plus the extreme temp of the manifold and elbow.....

Oct 8, 2023
Thats why I had to find a fabricator that knows much more about metals than I, plus the extreme temp of the manifold and elbow.....
Took your advice. Waiting for the machine shop to see what they can do.

Oct 8, 2023
Got the bolt out for $50 at the machine shop. Not going to worry about the offset hole as the bolt has full depth and the hole did not penetrate into the cavity. I'll add a washer and lock washer to both bolts and check for leaks after installing.