Where ‘Roger That’ Really Comes From

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That was an interesting bit of history.

But I would expect that sort of post in the middle of a cold, harsh winter…..

Why aren’t you out there sailing?;)

Greg

• Ha
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Nice bit of history. Something that always "peeves me" is when someone say ends a radio transmission with "over and out" It is either one or the other.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice bit of history. Something that always "peeves me" is when someone say ends a radio transmission with "over and out" It is either one or the other.
Fingernails on a blackboard. Heard on TV all too often but when out on the water...??? AGRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Why aren’t you out there sailing?;)
Ugh! I'm researching a repair to my engine. I may have to remove the timing cover, which is a pain. Biggest issue is removing the crank pulley. Just ordered the gaskets.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
O.K., here's a trivia quiz for you. In the old Dick Tracy comics, when ending a conversation on his two-way wrist TV, Dick would say "Six-two and even, over and out." Anyone know what that means? (I do!)

tumblr_ad02173851f9b949ce0f755444555e7b_d8dd31c6_400.jpg

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
O.K., here's a trivia quiz for you. In the old Dick Tracy comics, when ending a conversation on his two-way wrist TV, Dick would say "Six-two and even, over and out." Anyone know what that means? (I do!)
The numbers come from two dials that were used to measure received power levels. Hence, six was showing up on one dial, two was showing on the other, and the numbers were holding steady. This same origin is reflected in the term “I read you five by five,” indicating that the two dials were both at five.

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
I believe "6, 2 and even" is a gambling term related to horse racing. FYI, this phrase is also used in the famous film The Maltese Falcon when Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) has convinced Casper Gutman that a fall guy is needed to satisfy the police to solve the murders of Miles Archer and Floyd Thursby; and that person should be Wilma Cook, the gunsel. While Casper and Joel Cairo talk it over in private, Bogart says to Wilma "Six two and even they're selling you out sonny."

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The numbers come from two dials that were used to measure received power levels. Hence, six was showing up on one dial, two was showing on the other, and the numbers were holding steady. This same origin is reflected in the term “I read you five by five,” indicating that the two dials were both at five.
That is incorrect. Please try again. :)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I believe "6, 2 and even" is a gambling term related to horse racing. FYI, this phrase is also used in the famous film The Maltese Falcon when Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) has convinced Casper Gutman that a fall guy is needed to satisfy the police to solve the murders of Miles Archer and Floyd Thursby; and that person should be Wilma Cook, the gunsel. While Casper and Joel Cairo talk it over in private, Bogart says to Wilma "Six two and even they're selling you out sonny."
That is correct! When Dick says it, it essentially means "everything's normal" - odds of a particular horse are 6:1 to win, 2:1 to place, and even money to show. So, 'everything's normal, over and out.'

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
I always thought it made sense. "over" meant I'm finished talking but still listening. "over and out" meant I'm finished talking and no longer listening.
I've only heard it in early war movies when they were using the field radios.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I always thought it made sense. "over" meant I'm finished talking but still listening. "over and out" meant I'm finished talking and no longer listening.
I've only heard it in early war movies when they were using the field radios.
I agree. It means end of transmission and I'm no longer 'on the air.'

The USCG in these waters ends their transmissions with "out," e.g., "this is United States Coast Guard Southeastern New England, out."

One annoying thing they do is when they broadcast, these young Coasties are apparently reading a script and they will say "break" and then keep going without letting go of the mic button. It's as if they don't know what 'break' means.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
I too am in NE waters and agree, USCG uses "out" when completing a VHF conversation or broadcast. They also use "over" just as a previous poster said, when the person is done speaking and he is now listening. FYI, when I'm in a conference call w/ USCG personnel (civilian and military) they also say "over" when done speaking.

FWIW, I use the traditional professional mariner sign off in stead of "out." That is, I state the name of my vessel and that I am standing by on whatever channel(s) I'm monitoring. Most times it is 13 and 16.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Ugh! I'm researching a repair to my engine. I may have to remove the timing cover, which is a pain. Biggest issue is removing the crank pulley. Just ordered the gaskets.
Ah, ok.

that makes sense then :confused:

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I too am in NE waters and agree, USCG uses "out" when completing a VHF conversation or broadcast. They also use "over" just as a previous poster said, when the person is done speaking and he is now listening. FYI, when I'm in a conference call w/ USCG personnel (civilian and military) they also say "over" when done speaking.

FWIW, I use the traditional professional mariner sign off in stead of "out." That is, I state the name of my vessel and that I am standing by on whatever channel(s) I'm monitoring. Most times it is 13 and 16.
I do the same thing, 'this is sailing vessel Sagittarius standing by on 16, 13, and 9.'

I''m always scanning those three; as you know, 9 is the regional hailing channel, 16 hailing and emergency, and 13 bridge to bridge. In addition to ship's bridge to ship's bridge, it's also the channel used around here by bridge tenders. I'm sure you know.