Where ‘Roger That’ Really Comes From

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
I''m always scanning those three; as you know, 9 is the regional hailing channel, 16 hailing and emergency, and 13 bridge to bridge. In addition to ship's bridge to ship's bridge, it's also the channel used around here by bridge tenders. I'm sure you know.
Yes, 9 is regional hailing and in Casco Bay is dominated by launch & marina chatter. Too much noise so I don't bother.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Yes, 9 is regional hailing and in Casco Bay is dominated by launch & marina chatter. Too much noise so I don't bother.
Around here many of the launches and marinas have their own working channels, which helps. Some don't even monitor 9 anymore. People having conversations on 9 are often admonished to find a working channel.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I always thought it made sense. "over" meant I'm finished talking but still listening. "over and out" meant I'm finished talking and no longer listening.
I've only heard it in early war movies when they were using the field radios.
It was my understanding that "over" meant I'm done talking, your turn to talk. Similar to what you say above. 'Out" means I've left the conversation - might be switching channels, whatever but from my side this conversation is closed. To speak with me again you'd need to hail me.

For one to say "over and out" is simply rude. It basically said, I'm listening, but not really because even though I just said I was listening, I cut you off before you had a chance to speak as I then just said out.... Kind of like talking on a phone and saying to someone, "yeah let me know what you think", and then hang up the phone on them...

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
For one to say "over and out" is simply rude. It basically said, I'm listening, but not really because even though I just said I was listening, I cut you off before you had a chance to speak as I then just said out.... Kind of like talking on a phone and saying to someone, "yeah let me know what you think", and then hang up the phone on them...
I think it depends upon context.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Maybe it's just me but I think that in order for 'over and out' to be offensive it requires a prequel and someone who can be offended easily.eh

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@dLj How we used it in the Navy too. "Over" is used why you are in an "active conversation" with one or more individuals, and are done speaking, normally expecting a response. If others are on the same frequency, unless it is a urgent or they are part of the conversation, they don't just cut in. It keeps people from trying to talk over one another.

"Out," as you say, means "I am done talking and no longer will remain in the active conversation. Hail me if you want to contact me." If you stay on the same channel is is customary to say "Out, Song of the Sea is monitoring Channel 9". If you are shifting to another channel, you might say "Out, Song of the Sea is changing to Channel 16", or whatever channel you are shifting to. This way they know you are leaving the conversation and if they want to talk to you again, they will have to hail you on the channel you are monitoring.

"Roger" means I have received your transmission and normally also is taken to mean I understand what you said (Not that I agree or not, just I understand.) If it is unclear you can say something like "Say again, or similar similar) If it is really important the Roger is followed by a repeat or summary of what you think you heard such as "Roger, understand you are changing course to Starboard and coming to course 265"

Crisp and clear communications are important especially in restricted waters or when failure to communicate clearly has ramifications. As an old an famous football coach once said "you play like you practice."

@jviss Not only do the Coasties, making the routine transmissions on 22A read from a script but they talk so fast that you can hardly understand them. It really bugs me. Why not slow down and speak clearly? Guess they have to get back to whatever else they were doing in a hurry.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Maybe it's just me but I think that in order for 'over and out' to be offensive it requires a prequel and someone who can be offended easily.eh
I didn't say offensive, I said rude.

Offensive: Causing someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry. "the allegations made are deeply offensive to us"

Rude: Having a startling abruptness. "the war came as a very rude awakening"

Just clarifying...

dj

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
In Air Force radio vernacular, clicks on the mic button take the place of all sorts of responses.
One click could mean Roger, two clicks Roger Out. Its poor form when using with another not versed in the use.
Drives Army guys nuts who use over and out on the telephone even when talking to their wives which seems silly.