Megayacht Bayesian sank

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Makes one wonder why we even untie the dock lines. An Environment Canada marine forecast for all of the Strait of Georgia today showing in yellow a Waterspout watch in effect - Strait of Georgia

Screenshot (8).png

Oct 31, 2022
Catalina Capri 22 Huntington
I am scratching my head on how such a large yacht could have been sunk at mooring like that, windage from such a tall mast?

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
The captain of a yacht that was anchored nearby said after the waterspout passed by, they noticed the yacht behind them (Bayesian), was no longer there. Eyewitnesses said the mast did snap, but to go down so fast, would one not also expect there was some catastrophic hull damage?

degas

Aug 14, 2023
Tanzer 29 Lake Ontario
Sad news.

Not comparing this tragedy to my own experience, but this kind of weather can be highly selective.

A few years ago I had an O'Day Mariner, 19 ft, at a sailing club in Montreal's Lac St-Louis. Keep in mind that this is a shallow lake that is just a widening of the St-Lawrence River, mostly out of reach from tropical storms and similar extreme weather.

Some kind of tornado-type event happened one humid July day. Out of about 20 small boats less than 20 feet long, 4-5 boats (including mine) in only one row of the mooring field were seemingly hand-picked to capsize, flip over, or otherwise sink. The rest of the mooring field were still floating like nothing happened. The staff at the club that afternoon said that a thunderstorm quickly rolled in and out with loud, heavy winds, and rain so thick they couldn't see the mooring field less than 50 metres/yards from shore. Thankfully nobody got hurt.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We had a tornado F1 rip through our little town and across the water for a while.
I don't know if it was a waterspout. No one used that term. About a half dozen sank. A catamaran was lodged in a tree about 20' up. And other damage. Boats on the hard knocked over, roofs gone afloat etc. I should post some pics. I'm not sure I have them in digital format - so it was some time ago.
Are waterspouts just a tornado over water? I ask because the physics of air in a funnel rotation have to be different from water in a funnel. I've heard of many waterspouts but they seem like a tornado's poor cousin. I'd hard pressed to remember an incident in which a waterspout caused a major problem to a boat or to property ashore.
Until now. I feel for the victims and their loved ones. It is so horrible to think of the deceased final moments.
Will they raise the yacht? I read it is over 150' down. I guess it can be done but it's going to be expensive. But they'll surely be legal actions and insurance battles. So there's money at stake.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
would one not also expect there was some catastrophic hull damage?
Or possibly downflooding if it were knocked down and doors and hatches open.

The yacht was UK flagged, so I expect the UK Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) will conduct an investigation. Their reports are consistently very thorough and include impressive root cause analysis. Hopefully there will be some lessons that can be learned from that to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Many times I've noted that a boat might be better off in really bad stuff if not tied to anything so it is not constrained .. I feel for those people who were asleep down below and were not able to get out of their staterooms..

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"I've heard of many waterspouts but they seem like a tornado's poor cousin. I'd hard pressed to remember an incident in which a waterspout caused a major problem to a boat or to property ashore."
Many years ago, while sailing (motoring) to Catalina Island in the fall, my wife and daughter spotted a funnel cloud off mid-island. I was below napping. They just thought it was a "pretty cloud" ;-) I was shocked when they told me. Later, we had heavy hail and strong gusts before getting into sunny Avalon when people were lounging around in swim suits vs. our foul weather gear. We later learned the spout laid a 45' sail boat owned by friends flat. It tore the engine from its mounts and did other significant damage. Lucky it didn't tear the shaft log right out.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Water spouts. A Devil's Water Tail...

In August of 1969, Hurricane Camille swept across Virginia back to the sea after laying waste to Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Its path crossed NAS Norfolk. I had a summer job with Special Services, caring for the sailboats and teaching sailing. We were sheltered at home as the storm raced over the base and onto the Chesapeake. I got a call from the base Police that a water spout had been sighted on the bay. I headed over to the boat basin. All of our small sailboats were floating awash, tied to their floats. Looking out across the bay, a water spout appeared out of the clouds. It raced away to the east. It threw fish and debris airborne in its wake. Craziest thing I had ever seen.

1724190259132.png

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
[QUOTE="shemandr, post: 1824540, member: 77923 I've heard of many waterspouts but they seem like a tornado's poor cousin. I'd hard pressed to remember an incident in which a waterspout caused a major problem to a boat or to property ashore.
[/QUOTE]
Waterspouts are common in this locale & generally along the entire Gulf Coast in summer months. I have seen homes, that have roofs ripped off, in water front communities. Seems that there is a self limiting factor that doesn’t allow them to get beyond that of an an F1 tornado. Wife & I were having an early dinner at a water front restaurant in Key West several years ago & spotted 3 spouts at same point in time! Scary!!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Water spouts. A Devil's Water Tail...

In August of 1969, Hurricane Camille swept across Virginia back to the sea after laying waste to Mississippi
I have forgotten most of the storms that have impacted the Gulf Coast over the years; however, Camille is one that you never forget. Helped with relief efforts until schools opened at end of summer.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The captain of a yacht that was anchored nearby said after the waterspout passed by, they noticed the yacht behind them (Bayesian), was no longer there. Eyewitnesses said the mast did snap, but to go down so fast, would one not also expect there was some catastrophic hull damage?
My theory is that due to the probably very high tension on the rigging that with the energy of the waterspout the hull failed under the mast and drove the mast down like an arrow from a bow, causing a huge hole in the hull.

I recall reading the wreck was in 240' of water, so would require a deep diving team to examine and/or recover. I just wonder if it drifted there as it sank, ''cause it's unlikely they could have anchored in that depth.