raymarine ev100 vs cpt autopilot

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
I wonder if anyone has ever "hacked" a CPT pilot to add features, like steering to a wind angle, or to a waypoint? If I could pick up a used on
I did a lot of research while considering the two. I do coastal cruising with a lot of change of direction due to narrow passages (Puget Sound) and had no real need for waypoint tracking. For me it came down to the use during the worst of times while single handed. That is the primary reason I have a AP. All other uses are considered convenient. The EV has a significant history of broken and worn down internal parts within the stearing belt system over time. For these reasons I went with the CPT. Customer service was top notch. Installation was straight forward with exceptional documentation. The only down side is that it is bulky and I would like a wireless remote option. I’ve had it for about three years now with no regrets.
I don’t buy into the shear pin argument. Shear pins are designed as a weak point and sacrificial. You should always have back ups ( several) for any sacrificial element. Imagine what would have happened ( probably only applicable to those who know the CPTs strength) in the same situation with the EV?
Exposed drive belts can be minimized in the configuration of the system. Mine is so low pro that it is a non issue.
By the way: Though this would add more cost, you could always control the CPT motor with a Pelagic Autopilot controller. The electronics are more advanced than the CPT, but you'd benefit from the robust CPT drive motor. The Pelagic could control any 12-volt drive motor, so it should work just fine with the CPT--though you could call Pelagic and ask what their experience might be with interfacing to the CPT. Bet you anything they would be able to answer that for you. Just a thought.

My Ericson 26 is tiller steered and I use the Pelagic with their tiller actuator. As an apples-to-apples comparison, I ditched my former Raymarine ST2000 tiller pilot and got the Pelagic. There is no comparison. The Raymarine unit is more or less a toy, and the Pelagic steers the boat in conditions the Raymarine wouldn't touch. I had an ST4000+ on my previous wheel-steered 30 footer and thought the same thing about it.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
I've had a Raymarine ST4000+ since 2004, and had to replace the external wheel unit (plus motor, which actually hadn't failed) maybe last year(?), although they never really failed: just got squeaky. The electronics have functioned perfectly. I won't compare the 2 units under discussion, but I do have a comment about longevity. Get a high quality sunbrella canvas pedestal cover, and use it 12 months a year. You're protecting all of your electronics from not only UV, but also heat, rain, wind*, wind-driven rain... etc. Someone commented earlier on the rubber rotting out on their Raymarine unit. Ours worked flawlessly for 18-some-odd years, except that it got squeaky, and when I took the wheel unit off, it was broken in several places, but still working. I think having it covered all that time made a huge difference.

* Ok: maybe not wind. I made that part up.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I always wished someone made a really nice, really rugged, mostly metal sailboat wheel drive, that looked nice, matched the aesthetics of sailing boats, was quiet, rugged, and bulletproof, and had a solenoid-activation option. Maybe even some nice, chrome or stainless levers for AUTO, STANDBY, +/- 1º, 10º, etc. It would probably cost more than I would care to spend! Ha, ha. Also, i wonder why Edson or Lewmar never integrated a pilot motor into one of their steering pedestals (that I know of).

I guess one reason is once you start bumping up against what that would cost, you decide to go with a below-decks drive, which has advantages not found in wheel steering.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Port Huron
Thank you all for your great comments. If I got the EV100, it would be completely standalone because I don't have any navigation system on my boat -- so lack of integration is not a concern. It seems like the simplicity of installation and components is a benefit of the CPT. Maybe it will be overkill for Lake Ontario but it would be easy to transfer it to a bigger boat if I get ambitious. Looks like CPT is the better choice for me.
I don't think you'll regret the decision to get the CPT. While I've never used one, that would also be my choice for a wheel pilot. I put an EV100 on our previous boat (Seaward 25). While it worked well enough most of the time, it did have issues with following seas when the waves picked up (we usually turned it off then), had issues with noise, and had the boot on the motor fall apart from the sun. No comparison between that one and the under deck Raymarine 4000 that is on our other boat (it works flawlessly no matter the conditions).

Apr 24, 2023
Hunter 28 Rochester, NY
I don't think you'll regret the decision to get the CPT. While I've never used one, that would also be my choice for a wheel pilot. I put an EV100 on our previous boat (Seaward 25). While it worked well enough most of the time, it did have issues with following seas when the waves picked up (we usually turned it off then), had issues with noise, and had the boot on the motor fall apart from the sun. No comparison between that one and the under deck Raymarine 4000 that is on our other boat (it works flawlessly no matter the conditions).
Thanks, I went ahead with the CPT order. I think I'll be very happy with it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Thank you all for your great comments. If I got the EV100, it would be completely standalone because I don't have any navigation system on my boat -- so lack of integration is not a concern. It seems like the simplicity of installation and components is a benefit of the CPT. Maybe it will be overkill for Lake Ontario but it would be easy to transfer it to a bigger boat if I get ambitious. Looks like CPT is the better choice for me.
Do you not have any wind instruments?

I finally got my wind instrument (Tac Tic wireless) to interface with my Garmin CP and my Raymarine AP so I can keep the boat on a wind angle…particularly helpful when raising and lowering the sail.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If I had a boat that didn't have an autopilot already, and I decided to go with a wheel pilot, I would get the CPT, no question!

Apr 24, 2023
Hunter 28 Rochester, NY
Do you not have any wind instruments?

I finally got my wind instrument (Tac Tic wireless) to interface with my Garmin CP and my Raymarine AP so I can keep the boat on a wind angle…particularly helpful when raising and lowering the sail.

Greg
I have no instruments at all. The boat had an out-of-date garmin unit that died. I don't expect to replace it, just use my tablet.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
For a completely standalone pilot with no desire to steer to the wind I think the CPT is the hands-down winner, if the increased cost is not a strain. The open belt issue was addressed in another thread, where one owner said it's a lightweight belt that's easily torn off by hand if it comes to that. The shear pin issue can likely be solved, as people have put this pilot on 63' yachts! One enormous advantage are the rudder and deadband knobs, in my opinion.
I know this is a dated thread, but just installed a CPT on my boat. I agree, its really a non-issue. The belt is not tensioned tight enough to be a hazard to an adult. Maybe a very young child could break a finger if it got between the wheel and belt but even then i question that. Any adult could grab the belt and yank it off but in most installations, i think someone would really have to try to get a finger jammed in it. Clothing would be more likely but even then it would be unlikely and just a nuisance. I would be a very simple to fabricate some sort of shield if very young kids were around the helm while cruising.

• Helpful