Catalina 16.5 Rigging Question

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
Hey there, I am new to sailing and just purchased a 2004 Catalina 16.5 and had a couple rigging questions. For the most part I’m comfortable with everything except a few lines attached to the mast that I’m unsure of what they’re for (see pictures and description below). Thanks for your help!

LINE #1
The boat has a FurIing system for the Jib so I’m wondering if this line is a halyard for a standard jib?

1st picture
Port side toward bottom of mast (Below)
Pic 1.jpg

2nd Picture
Forward side of Mast towards top – line goes through the block (Below)
Pic 2.jpg

3rd Picture
Forward side of mast towards bottom – line is tied and has snap hook on end (Below)
Pic 3.jpg

LINE#2
Is this a line to hold the boom level?

1st Picture
Starboard Side near bottom of mast. Bottom of line is in a clam cleat (Below)
Pic 1.jpg

2nd picture
Aft side of mast . Top of line is connected to the top of the mast (Below)
Pic 2.jpg

Line #3
No idea what this one is for

1st Picture
Forward near bottom of the mast. Line is in a clam cleat (Below)
Pic 1.jpg

2nd picture
Line (green) goes through a block held by a rope (blue) that goes over the spreader bars (Below)
Pic 2.jpg

3rd picture
Rope comes from block in previous picture and is hooked on this loop (Below)
Pic 3.jpg

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
Thanks Don. I did google and watched most of the videos and read most of the content on the 16.5 but nothing directly confirmed the three lines I'm questioning.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Line #1: looks like a halyard for a spinnaker, asym, most probably.

Line two: looks like it might be a topping lift, just as you thought.

Line three: don't know. Did the previous owner sail with a radar reflector or hoist an anchor light at night?

I'm not familiar with your boat's rigging, but those all look like they are owner installed, maybe not the a symmetrical halyard.

By the way, congratulations on your boat. You are going to have a blast.

-Will

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum JES7. Congrats on your boat.

1680564506082.png

The image shows a Catalina 16.5. It shows that the jib is fractional. It means the jib attaches to the mast somewhere beneath the mast head (top of the mast).

You mention a Furling system. Which one?
Furling systems often are over a shroud (a wire that runs from the bow to the mast). Sometimes not. Your image #2 shows a black wire with an eye. That leads me to ask is that to be connected to the shroud? The mast end attachment of the furler. If so then the block in image #2 serves to carry the jib halyard. The sail inserts into the furler and is hoisted using the Jib halyard.

Image #3 That is a "JAM" cleat. Often used for lines that are in frequent adjustment. A Jib or Main halyard are to be secure. The Jam Cleat is used for something else.

Just a guess, it could be to used to help you hoist the mast. Since it is in temporary use a jam cleat makes sense.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Third line looks like it could be a spinnaker pole topping lift, though the blue line looped around the mast at the spreaders makes it look a bit less permanent than standard. (Looks like it should be re-tied, in any case.) Agree with John that it could be a temporary setup to help get the mast stepped.

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
Line #1: looks like a halyard for a spinnaker, asym, most probably.

Line two: looks like it might be a topping lift, just as you thought.

Line three: don't know. Did the previous owner sail with a radar reflector or hoist an anchor light at night?

I'm not familiar with your boat's rigging, but those all look like they are owner installed, maybe not the a symmetrical halyard.

By the way, congratulations on your boat. You are going to have a blast.

-Will
Thanks Will, appreciate the reply. Very much looking forward to the journey.

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
You mention a Furling system. Which one?
Furling systems often are over a shroud (a wire that runs from the bow to the mast). Sometimes not. Your image #2 shows a black wire with an eye.
Good info John, thank you. The furling system is over a shroud. The attached picture shows the end that attaches to the drum (?)
Pic 4.jpg

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
As a guess that looks about right. What about the other end of the shroud?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Do you know the make of the furler? Perhaps it is printed on the drum.

Could it be CDI?

That answers some questions but leave others unanswered.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Ok.. Looked for a manual on the System 350. Problems with the Schaefer site.

Got this on the site:
Convenient and reliable "Free-Furling" allows you to quickly set or furl your jib or staysail without leaving the safety of the cockpit. The sail furls and unfurls on its own luff wire and is easily removed for use on trailerable boats or for light-air staysails and gennakers on larger boats.

These lightweight swivels utilize clear anodized, marine grade aluminum and contain hi-load Amoco Torlon™ bearings to ensure smooth and reliable performance. Precision computer machined races maximize bearing contact area for ultimate strength and durability under load providing you with safe, easy furling.

it is typical of furlers for small boats. I would roll out the sail in your living room (hopefully the family is ok with this) and examine how it is attached at the top to the mast.

Your image shows a wire. I am guessing you have an attachment point wrapped in the sail at the head. The halyard I would think is used to hold the sail/furler in place.
Jib Shroud.jpg

• Helpful

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
Ok.. Looked for a manual on the System 350. Problems with the Schaefer site.

Got this on the site:
Convenient and reliable "Free-Furling" allows you to quickly set or furl your jib or staysail without leaving the safety of the cockpit. The sail furls and unfurls on its own luff wire and is easily removed for use on trailerable boats or for light-air staysails and gennakers on larger boats.

These lightweight swivels utilize clear anodized, marine grade aluminum and contain hi-load Amoco Torlon™ bearings to ensure smooth and reliable performance. Precision computer machined races maximize bearing contact area for ultimate strength and durability under load providing you with safe, easy furling.

it is typical of furlers for small boats. I would roll out the sail in your living room (hopefully the family is ok with this) and examine how it is attached at the top to the mast.

Your image shows a wire. I am guessing you have an attachment point wrapped in the sail at the head. The halyard I would think is used to hold the sail/furler in place. View attachment 214283
Yep, there is an attachment in the sail head that hooks to that point. It does make sense that the halyard is holding it in place. Any reason why it should be held in place?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
A furler generally has a top that spins and a bottom that rotates (causing the sail to wrap) based on a rope pulled/turning it.

The sail spins around a fixed shroud. The halyard pulls the sail up and down.

Do you have a picture of the top of the jib?

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
I'm not with the boat right now but will snap a picture later this week.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@JES7
Look to see if you have a third sail and pole?
Take a photo of the furler drum and post it. I was a Catalina dealer now retired introducing the 16.5. Is your boat a swing center board?

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
Look to see if you have a third sail and pole?
Take a photo of the furler drum and post it. I was a Catalina dealer now retired introducing the 16.5. Is your boat a swing center board?
Crazy Dave - It didi not come with a third sail and pole. It is a swing centerboard.

Below are a few snaps of the furler drum and entire boat as well as a picture of the centerboard.
Pic 6.jpg

Pic 7.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 8.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@JES7
Look in the storage locker of the boat to see if anything is there. If not, call the owner if a spinnaker came with it. Sometimes they forget to give it to you. An explanation is in order to address the extra lines and gear if no spinnaker. I may have an idea but keep us posted what is said

As for the furling drum, leave it attached to the jib. If trailering a lot, i recommend shroud and small turnbuckle boot covers to keep the gear from banging against the deck.
Crazy dave

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
@JES7
Look in the storage locker of the boat to see if anything is there. If not, call the owner if a spinnaker came with it. Sometimes they forget to give it to you. An explanation is in order to address the extra lines and gear if no spinnaker. I may have an idea but keep us posted what is said

As for the furling drum, leave it attached to the jib. If trailering a lot, i recommend shroud and small turnbuckle boot covers to keep the gear from banging against the deck.
Crazy dave
Crazy Dave,
I'm the third owner and the previous one doesn't have a third sail & nothing in the locker. No idea how to get a hold of the original owner.
I'll be sure and keep the drum attached to the furling jib. Am I okay to remove the xtra lines?