Catalina 16.5 Rigging Question

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I will be calling the poster this evening per private message. I have a suggestion but will wait till I talk with him

JES7

Apr 3, 2023
Catalina 16.5 Muskegan
Thanks to everyone who provided input and answers to my post. Special thanks to Crazy Dave who I caught up with on the phone this evening and provided a ton of info and very helpful guidance. I’m finding the sailing community to be great group to be a part of! Thanks again.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
It's not easy to tell exactly what you have going on there, but I can give a good guess. The eye on the mast suggests the boat has or once had a spinnaker pole to attach there. There is a line with an aluminum sister hook on it, which often were used for attaching sheets to the corner of the spinnaker on small boats. Your turn the two halves at right angles, they fit through that narrow slot and then are free to swivel inside each of their hooks. the line attached to the mast head on the mainsail side is for the boom topping lift. It goes to the trailing edge of the boom to support it at a 90 degree angle to the mast when the sail isn't raised. The double stay adjusters that hold the block (pully) in front of the mast near where the upper shrouds attach looks to hold the spinnaker halyard block and is also the attachment point for the jib stay or forestay. I doubt that is original Capri, but it looks like it works. The lines that go through the horn cleats at the sides of the mast near the bottom would be for the main and jib halyard. The line that goes through the jam cleat with fairlead would be for the spinnaker halyard. I think that covers it.