I just bought a C30 yesterday!!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
If you leave the country, the Federal Doc is generally much easier to deal with. That said, with your listed location I'm sure if you found Canada under you're keel they'd understand MI registration.

Federal doc costs $ to start, and a reasonably small amount of $ each year. The state will still want property tax usually (dunno about MI). State registration may be less $.

In some states we don't need reg numbers on the boat, and no sticker if documented. YMMV, IANAL, etc.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mooseman... you planning to sail north across Lake Huron into Canadian waters?

A CG registered boat shows ownership to international persons.

You can travel with a State Registration.

The issue is not all states provide continuity for their titles. The USCG documentation meets the requirements of International treaty.

My boat ownership is in Oregon. I sail in Washington waters (for which they require an annual fee). I travel to Canada, when the boarder is opened. No questions have been asked about the ownership papers, as the boat is "Documented" with the USCG.

Aug 22, 2021
Catalina Yachts 30 Lake Huron
Hey I bought my Cat 30 week before you.
Im hull 46 .
W original A4
Hello glory30 and welcome to the forum! Have you been using your C30 in New York? Mine is in the located in MI and I live in CO, but I've been visiting her every other week or so. I haven't yet had a chance to hoist a sail, but I'm getting close. So far it's been mostly doing misc. repairs, getting rigging setup etc. Mine sat on the hard for at least four years prior to me buying it. I do get some enjoyment out of doing repairs and upgrades, but I also can't wait to try out the sails! How has your experience been so far?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Mooseman where are you planning to keep your R Sanctuary, you mentioned Lake Huron, we are up at Port Huron which is a great sailing club if you are interested.

Aug 22, 2021
@Mooseman where are you planning to keep your R Sanctuary, you mentioned Lake Huron, we are up at Port Huron which is a great sailing club if you are interested.
Hello @DayDreamer41! Right now I have her in Anchor Bay, and I've been planning to pull her out in a few weeks to winter on the Clinton River. Where do you keep Day Dreamer in Port Huron during the season and winter? Is it there space and how proud are they of it price wise? Port Huron is closer to my family property and would be nice in that way.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Hello @DayDreamer41! Right now I have her in Anchor Bay, and I've been planning to pull her out in a few weeks to winter on the Clinton River. Where do you keep Day Dreamer in Port Huron during the season and winter? Is it there space and how proud are they of it price wise? Port Huron is closer to my family property and would be nice in that way.
We keep the Sapphire at the Port Huron Yacht Club and she winters at Desmonds as for space I don't believe Desmonds has any space left, but you might want to stop by the club next time you are in town, I am sure you will be very pleased with the rates. PHYC is a coop club, where there are no paid employees, the moto, "Where members make it happen", get your application in to join, its a great racing club and minutes to Lake Huron..... once in the club wintering can be a inexpensive as $250 for the off season, the member rent a crane and operator and we put a work crew together and the boats are pulled and stored by the members.
The bar is operated on an honor system and the drinks are very inexpensive......

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021
Does anyone know if this picture that shows the combination wire/rope line on the aft side of my mast has a possibility of being anything other than the main halyard? The only other line coming from the aft side of the masthead looks like 3/8" poly and has a shackle with a captive pin that I assumed was used as a topping lift (although I suppose it could work as a main halyard). The front of the masthead has two halyards which I assume were meant for the jib and spinnaker (even though the boat only came with a spinnaker pole, but not a spinnaker sail). My big concern with my running rigging (other than the fact that I need to replace a large portion of it for next season) is that that mystery wire/rope doesn't exit the bottom of the mast. As you can see in the photos the bottom of my mast has two sheves on each side, and one of them on the starboard side has no line exiting it. When I pull on the mystery line, it doesn't move either.

I'm making another long trip back to the boat again this week, and my hope is that I can motor out into the middle of Lake St. Clair and hoist a sail or two for the first time. After this trip the plan when I return in two weeks is to replace window seals and put her on the cradle for winter, so I think this is probably my last chance to actually pull a sail up. It seems like once the foot of the mail is in the boom and all the lugs on the luff are in the track I can have a helper hold the boom end up momentarily and remove the topping lift to use it as a halyard, right? It doesn't seem ideal, but seems like it should work.

Attachments

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
This site will help you sort out your lines.

Your topping lift (the rope/wire line) should run thru the unused block on the end of the boom, and be tied off to a cleat on the boom. That lets you have a little more control of the boom height.
The main halyard normally comes out on the starboard side, as you have it. At the top, it should run over the sheave and down the aft side of the mast. In you photos, I don’t see a line coming down on the aft side.
The jib halyard runs over its sheave in the opposite direction, down the forward side of the mast.
Just a guess, but the lines may be tangled or off the sheaves at the top of the mast.

Aug 22, 2021

Your topping lift (the rope/wire line) should run thru the unused block on the end of the boom, and be tied off to a cleat on the boom. That lets you have a little more control of the boom height.
The main halyard normally comes out on the starboard side, as you have it. At the top, it should run over the sheave and down the aft side of the mast. In you photos, I don’t see a line coming down on the aft side.
The jib halyard runs over its sheave in the opposite direction, down the forward side of the mast.
Just a guess, but the lines may be tangled or off the sheaves at the top of the mast.
Oh okay, that makes sense! So the 1/8" cable with 5/16" line is certainly the topping lift as you stated above and as shown on the 7th page of the rigging pdf that you provided a link for (marked page 21 in the document). So it's pinned or bolted to the aft side of the masthead and that's why it doesn't move when pulled on, it's clearly not supposed to. I get it now. Thanks!!!

Aug 22, 2021

Thanks for the info on the topping lift Jim! Would you know what function the rail with those two cars/blocks on the starboard side of the boom are for? I'm such a complete noob, and in watching a million hours of YouTube videos it's so rare to see an identical rigging setup to study.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2021
Thanks for the info on the topping lift Jim! Would you know what function the rail with those two cars/blocks on the starboard side of the boom are for? I'm such a complete noob, and in watching a million hours of YouTube videos it's so rare to see an identical rigging setup to study.
I think I just figured it out! Probably for reefing lines, right?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes :plus:
Reefing turning blocks. The lines drop down from the reef cringle in the leach of the main sail. With 2 turning blocks you would expect 2 reef cringles on the mainsail leach.

The turning blocks serve to turn the lines so that they run forward to the mast along the boom. Then either terminate on the boom at the mast or through another two blocks, run down the mast to the base through two blocks and back to the cockpit.
Here is an image of the lines terminating on the boom at the mast.
1633424862832.jpeg

Note the dotted line. That is the reef line running down the other side of the sail and it is tied off on the boom.

Sailing in Lake Michigan you may need a reef or two “when the winds of November come early”.