I just bought a C30 yesterday!!

Aug 22, 2021
Catalina Yachts 30 Lake Huron
Since I'm going to be reconnecting and adjusting my standing rigging on Monday morning, and have never worked on a sailboat in the past, I've been doing quite a bit of studying for the last day or so to come up to speed (thanks internet!!). It didn't take too long for me to decide that I should go ahead and precure a decent tension gauge to ensure that I'm equipped to do the job right. I just bought a Loos PT-2 off of Amazon. I thought I would let any fellow members know who might have a need for one of these tension gauges (and happens to live in the Green Bay area), there is one on marketplace.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021
Check out these spots that appear to have been weeping water. I'm hours away from splashing her and leaving her in the water until the end of October, and I would love some expert opinions. Should I try to scrape away any material loose enough to scratch off and fill with a marine epoxy or caulking? Should I be worried about internal damage? The keel bolts visually look okay, but I didn't bring anything big enough to check torque on them.

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I had a spot similar to the one on the lower right. Turned out to be wet fairing compound.
I’d leave it til your October haul out, then open the spots up, investigate the cause, let them dry out over the winter and then repair.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree with @Ward H.
If those are the only issues on the hull, they have been there for a while. They are allowing water to enter the keel. There will be repair work required.

Picking at them will open up likely to greater work. With them exposed you might cover with smear of Marinetex. It is an epoxy based thickened putty that can be used as a temporary patch to get you 90 days.

Not sure but the image of the worst hole looks like a rust stain. When it comes time to fix your project you will need some dry time. Assuming you are planing to winter over in the Great Lakes area, open up the holes and let the water have space to drain before winter sets in. Captured water in those areas will freeze and make the repairs more extensive.

It is a fiberglass glass boat. With tools and time you can make it all better.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
The C30 keel is lead so no iron to rust, The pre-1988 models have plywood in the keel shoe - when water gets into the plywood and leaks, it comes out brown and looks like rust. Take a good look at your keel bolts in the bilge and make sure the bolts aren't sinking into the fiberglass (meaning the core is collapsing). Catalina has drawings on the contruction and how to remove the plywood and replace with glass. There are many discussions on how to address this, such as this one:
Catalina 30 Keel Stub/Smile - Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians

You should be good for the remainder of the season but it's something you'll want to resolve in the off-season as everyone has said.

Aug 22, 2021
Update: Since I'm traveling from CO to MI for short weekend trips to work on getting my little sweetheart Catalina 30 all squared away, I didn't have time to dilly dally a week ago worrying too much about the small cracks in the keel area (I'll give them proper attention when she comes back on the hard in about 7 weeks). Long story medium; I got her splashed, stepped the mast, got the M25 purringlike a kitten (after eventually locating the replacement filter element for my old off-engine Dahl filter/separator and bleeding the air out), and moved her about 60 miles north from Gibraltar, MI up to Anchor Bay.

I'm going back for another very short visit this Friday to solve as many more issues as I can, with the hopes that I'll be able to finally hoist some sails on the following visit a couple weeks later. I created one of my bigger challenges when I accidentally dropped a part for my Hood 810 Seafurl LD into the water when trying to attach the forestay. I dropped one half of the two piece "tack socket" right into the drink, and couldn't for the life of me feel it out of the foot deep silt with my toes in the 7 foot deep boat well.

My list of things to do include (not necessarily in this order):

1) Confirm that my bilge pump's water detection circuitry is functional and actually turns the pump off and on so I can leave the swith on (I wasn't aware that the Rule-Mate 750 had this feature and just thought it odd that there wasn't a float switch in the bilge). I paid a boat neighbor to visit my boat daily and use the hand pump in the cockpit to remove any water that accumulates.

2) Confirm that my ProMariner battery charger is working correctly.

3) Reseal a couple window leaks (one that dripped pretty fast in a hard rain last week).

4) Put my new bosum's chair to use to climb up the mast and attach the the one lower shroud that I didn't have a clevis pin for but have since ordered from Catalina Direct (and install new LED lights while I'm up there). Also attach the boom to the mast with the new bolt that I ordered.

5) If I can locate the replacement "tack socket" mentioned above (item 1 & 2 in the parts diagram below), install that and get the furler all squared away and maybe unbag my jib sail to see what it is and put it on.

6) Put a flat blade screwdriver in the top of my stuck macerator pump and see if it will free up. If needed maybe I'll pull it apart and cleanup any found obstruction.

7) Inventory all halyards, sheets and lines to see if any are serviceable and what I have to buy. I suspect that I'll be confirming that I don't have a tall rig, confirming all the lengths, and replacing all of it on the following visit two weeks after this next one, but if I'm really lucky and it appears that it's safe to do so, I wouldn't mind raising a main this weekend just to try her out for a few minutes.

8) Put my new tension guage to use and adjust the standing rigging prior to step 7 above.

9) If I'm lucky enough to locate a replacement plastic top piece to replace the cracked one on my Jabsco manual head pump, I'll replace it, or if I locate a whole pump assy that doesn't cost about the same as the entire toilet I might swap the whole pump. It appears maybe someone left some water in it to freeze.

10) Sort the wiring on the heavily weathered MK172 depth sounder and see it it comes to life.

11) Polish the glass on the old Contest 100 compass so that it's usable, and sort out the light for it.

12) Do the other 100 things that I'm not thinking of at the moment LOL.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2021
Also...
13) The alternator looks original, so at some point an upgrade to a higher current one will likely be in order.

14) I would like to add a pump to make the water system pressurized, and maybe add a water heater at some point.

15) Solve the mystery regarding my dodger on the boat. It has a pretty nice looking blue dodger that has a bunch of corresponding "male end" snaps on the deck of the boat in the correct locations that make it clear that this dodger was previously installed. It is designed to be held up at the aft end by ss tubing that spans the width of the cockpit and the dodger zippers around, which was also on the boat. The puzzle is presented by the fact that those ss tubes are considerably too wide to attach to the brackets screwed to the deck on each side of the cockpit! What am I missing? Did someone possibly lose or damage the original ss tubes and then locate a used one that doesn't fit? It seems far fetched, but I can't see a better explanation...

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
8) Put my new tension guage to use and adjust the standing rigging prior to step 7 above.
All Catalina owners manuals have the same rigging tension adjustment instructions for all their masthead rigged boats. If you don't have one, get one from the C30 association. Or use the one for our C34 boats in the links I gave you to our C34 website, go to the tech wiki and look under manuals.

You may find that the one Loos gauge you bought is not good for the two different sizes of shrouds. Don't sweat it, use the manual first, don't worry about the gauge(s) until later.

Have a great trip, don't try to do too much.

Aug 22, 2021
All Catalina owners manuals have the same rigging tension adjustment instructions for all their masthead rigged boats. If you don't have one, get one from the C30 association. Or use the one for our C34 boats in the links I gave you to our C34 website, go to the tech wiki and look under manuals.

You may find that the one Loos gauge you bought is not good for the two different sizes of shrouds. Don't sweat it, use the manual first, don't worry about the gauge(s) until later.

Have a great trip, don't try to do too much.
Thanks Stu,

I've studied the sequence for tensioning and tracked down the recommended tension spec's as well. The Loos gauge I bought is good for both the 3/16" and 14" cable, so I should be good there. As I gain some experience I suspect I might start developing some opinions things like back stay tension and mast rake, but initially I plan to just try to get the mast perfectly centered with the stays all in the recommended tension range and start from there.

Unrelated question: I know I read somewhere an explanation for what the 6 digit number on the big sticker in the head is for("NO. 916956"), but I've forgotten. Can you remind me?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
When I bought my C30 it came with the dodger and a bimini. Both uninstalled and lashed down to the deck.
Only after trucking the boat from RI to NJ and I started putting it back together did I find that the bimini was a cheap one which obviously did not fit the boat.
Attached is a photo of my dodger frame. Note the horizontal bars on each side are hand holds I installed.
Some of the dodger pieces have navy blue cushions on them, which protects the window vinyl from scorching in the sun.
Also, www.marinehowto.com, ran by Maine Sail who is a forum member, has an on line shop and offers a 72 A alt which is a drop in replacement. I tried to get a link but it looks like the his store is off line tonight.

IMG_1917 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021
When I bought my C30 it came with the dodger and a bimini. Both uninstalled and lashed down to the deck.
Only after trucking the boat from RI to NJ and I started putting it back together did I find that the bimini was a cheap one which obviously did not fit the boat.
Attached is a photo of my dodger frame. Note the horizontal bars on each side are hand holds I installed.
Some of the dodger pieces has navy blue cushions on them, which protects the window vinyl from scorching in the sun.
Also, www.marinehowto.com, ran by Maine Sail who is a forum member, has an on line shop and offers a 72 A alt which is a drop in replacement. I tried to get a link but it looks like the his store is off line tonight.

View attachment 198040
Thanks Ward! It looks like your dodger frame has clamp on pieces for the short horizontals and maybe also for the angled pieces that go down the deck on the aft end, is that correct? That might be what's going on with my dodger frame, it might be designed to have those clamp on piece. My frame looks almost identical to yours if you removed those four pieces from yours. I'll look around to see if there is a second attachment point for the frame to connect to the deck on each side that is wider. Thanks again, this seems like a likely explaination!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I think you‘re talking about ”jaw slides”. They can be split jaw slides or plain jaw slides. The plain slide on from the tubing ends.
Eye End Caps connect the tubing to the jaw slides.
They make bases that mount on the boat that except the eye end caps. Search for Bimini Parts on Amazon and you’ll find all the parts you need. Measure your tubing. The eye end caps are made for 1” and 7/8” OD tubing.
Here is an older but better photo.
IMG_0275.jpg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Unrelated question: I know I read somewhere an explanation for what the 6 digit number on the big sticker in the head is for("NO. 916956"), but I've forgotten. Can you remind me?
Usually HIN (hull identification numbers) are longer and appear on the starboard transom up high undr the rub rail. This # you quoted could be a documentation number, but since I've never had one I can't assure you that's what it is. Was your boat Federally documented by a previous owner?

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
That's a Federal documentation number. When you bought the boat you should have sent in the signed transfer to the USCG to transfer the documentation. Depending on state, you may need state registration too.

From a search:
Vessel Information:​
Vessel Particulars:​
Vessel Name: AVILION
Primary Vessel Number: 916956 (Official Number (U.S.))
Hull Identification Number: N/A
Manufacturer Hull Number: CTYN4313G586
IMO Number: N/A
Vessel Flag: UNITED STATES
Vessel Call Sign: N/A​
Service: Recreational
Length: 29.80 ft
Breadth: 10.80 ft
Depth: 5.10 ft
Build Year: 1985
Alternate VINs: N/A​

Aug 22, 2021
I think you‘re talking about ”jaw slides”. They can be split jaw slides or plain jaw slides. The plain slide on from the tubing ends.
Eye End Caps connect the tubing to the jaw slides.
They make bases that mount on the boat that except the eye end caps. Search for Bimini Parts on Amazon and you’ll find all the parts you need. Measure your tubing. The eye end caps are made for 1” and 7/8” OD tubing.
Here is an older but better photo.
View attachment 198042
I found a picture of my dodger frame. It's not a great photo, but you can see how it looks like yours apart from yours having 4 additional tubes with the associated jaw slides etc. In three days I'll be back at the boat and I'll look for a second set of attachment points (I guess maybe they're called a clevis) that are attached to the deck closer together.

Attachments

Aug 22, 2021
That's a Federal documentation number. When you bought the boat you should have sent in the signed transfer to the USCG to transfer the documentation. Depending on state, you may need state registration too.

From a search:
Vessel Information:​
Vessel Particulars:​
Vessel Name: AVILION
Primary Vessel Number: 916956 (Official Number (U.S.))
Hull Identification Number: N/A
IMO Number: N/A
Vessel Flag: UNITED STATES
Vessel Call Sign: N/A​
Service: Recreational
Length: 29.80 ft
Breadth: 10.80 ft
Depth: 5.10 ft
Build Year: 1985
Alternate VINs: N/A​
Thanks for that! When I bought the boat I got a registration paper signed on the back that I'm pretty sure is just a state registration (MI). I'm going to have to research this. It sounds like I may or may not only need a federal registration?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I found a picture of my dodger frame. It's not a great photo, but you can see how it looks like yours apart from yours having 4 additional tubes with the associated jaw slides etc. In three days I'll be back at the boat and I'll look for a second set of attachment points (I guess maybe they're called a clevis) that are attached to the deck closer together.
Yep, it looks like mine without the side handles.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
USCG Manufactures code,
CTY = CATALINA YACHTS

Jeepbluetj may have located your boat as a registered boat with the USCG.
If that is not the current name, then your boat had a previous life, before you knew????

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
The USCG record is definitely a C-30, manufactured in July 1985, 1986 model year, hull #4313. (Likely the same # is the sail number, 'cause that's how Catalina rolls)

The USCG search page shows the last expiration date of 2002, so I'd guess this boat was switched from USCG Documented to state registered. (Didn't really see that yesterday)

It's nice that the USCG no longer lists the owner name and address, I've got a lot less junk mail because of that.

Aug 22, 2021
USCG Manufactures code,
CTY = CATALINA YACHTS

Jeepbluetj may have located your boat as a registered boat with the USCG.
If that is not the current name, then your boat had a previous life, before you knew????
Absolutely correct jssailem! The current name is "R Sanctuary" and it appears that the name used to be "Avilion" which I had never heard before. As I try to figure out how to piece together her history, this could prove to be useful info!

Jeepbluetj, that's information that is certainly nice to have, thanks a bunch! I have to figure out the advantages and disadvantages to renewing the federal registration, and also how that effects (if it does in any way) state registration. I'm too new to this to know any of these answers, so I have even more homework to do...