Hello, new 25 owner with questions!

Jun 29, 2021
O'Day 25 Chesapeake Bay, Norfolk VA
Hello everyone, I just went and took ownership of a 1979 O'Day 25. Just to keep it open an honest I paid absolutely nothing for this boat, it was offered free on Facebook marketplace because the current owner was moving, never used it, had no luck trying to sell it and wanted it to go to a family that would enjoy it. As for me I am a first time sailboat owner now and have basically zero sailing experience. I picked her up near Baltimore MD and will be sailing her down to my home in Chesapeake VA (give or take 157nm) however that trip will not happen until around August so for now I rented a slip near where I picked her up and she is just hanging out there after a kind passer-by towed her over to the marina for me (outboard is dead, details in a minute). I have a friend who has been sailing for 15+ years that is coming in August to help me learn the ropes and bring her home safely. I did have an inspection done to it while tied to the dock before "taking ownership" just to see what the professional opinion was and I got thumbs up all around from hull condition, to mast and sail condition and all that. The only negatives I was told is the bilge was a bit dirty and some of the wiring could use a freshen up but according to him you want to see a minimally dirty bilge (apparently too much dirt means a lack of maintenance and no dirt at all typically means there were/are possibly leaks?). The only real issue is the outboard motor which is a 8hp Yamaha four stroke. The inspector told me they came with 2 strokes initially but swapping to a 4 stroke was typical. He made mention that the mount the motor is on was a proper mount to account for the added weight and torque of the 4 stroke. The issue with the motor is that it was run hot with a bad impeller which came direct from the previous owner himself. It is not locked up and still runs but when it is running you can hear the unmistakable sound of a little metal on metal/pinging happening inside the motor and it smokes/burns oil like crazy coming from under the cowl as soon as it starts.

Questions (remember I am very new to all of this):
- how can you tell if your O'Day has the adjustable centerboard? Where is the line for this located? I searched all through the cabin and could not find one.
- In the case of my Yamaha outboard, I know it was run hot with a damaged impeller and could potentially have internal damage even though it still runs (we ran it for about 5 seconds just to see if it actually still worked and shut it off). Would an older Yamaha outboard (2006) be worth saving given that it does still run but is no doubt damaged internally to some extent or is it just a better idea to go get a new motor (pricing them out new they seem to be around $1200 for a pull start and $2300~ish for an electric start). I have no idea what the cost would be to have an 8HP outboard rebuilt vs just buying new and having that peace of mind.
- If I end up getting a new motor is there any downside to going with a manual crank only outboard other than just the effort it takes vs an electric start motor? Do the electric start motors offer any additions pros other than ease of starting?
- Where would the shore power connection generally be located? Mine is inside the cockpit storage locker on the STBD side, is this normal or should it be on the exterior of the cabin area?

Thank you all!
BoatCapture.PNG

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Electric start is nice. I would pay extra for it. Especially if you have any shoulder issues like I do. Also the back of a sailboat cockpit has restricted space for pulling a outboard cord.
Think I would at least replace the bad impeller - it's not expensive. See if it runs at the right temp.
Shore power in a locker isn't that unusual. It can be moved to outside if you are inclined. Is the locker notched so it can be closed? I would like to be able to close it.
According to sailboat data.com the O'Day 25 came with centerboard OR keel. So, are you sure you have the centerboard version.
It looks like a nice boat! Congratulations. It's been inspected. Time to go sailing!

Jun 29, 2021
According to sailboat data.com the O'Day 25 came with centerboard OR keel. So, are you sure you have the centerboard version.
It looks like a nice boat! Congratulations. It's been inspected. Time to go sailing!
Thanks for the info and no I am not sure if it is or is not a centerboard. I am guessing since there was not any way to move the centerboard that I could find from inside the cabin then it must be a keel boat or possibly the centerboard was removed? Where would the line normally be located to move the centerboard in a 25? I assumed it would have been right around the mid-ship area of the cabin but like I mentioned the only thing there was the bilge cover.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Good morning . The pendant for the centerboard will be in the front of the cockpit . There should be a small cleat for tying it off on the bridgedeck . It may be missing . Another way to tell is to step inside the cabin and open the door under the sink . Is there a thick black tube clamped to the inside bottom of the hull ? Remove (with a screwdriver ) the access panel just forward of that door look for the tube .
If you see the tube you have a shoal draft with centerboard configuration . Depending on how well the exterior hull was maintained the centerboard may not drop down easily . It fits fairly snuggly into the slot . It doesn't take much marine growth to prevent it from dropping .
Occasionally I dive under the boat and need to gently pry it loose ,from the back ..
These are generally pretty decent sailing boats . However they don't point very well with out the centerboard down . They also don't respond nearly as well when using the outboard when the centerboard is raised .
The matter of the outboard is one of cost. Yamahas are generally regarded as the best out there . Worth repairing ? If it was my money
and I knew I could trust the marina doing the repair I'd go that route.
New outboards in the 8 horse category aren't cheap ! Electric start ,extra long shaft ,high thrust 4 bladed prop all add up to probably the $3500 range . Hopefully this helps . If you have any more questions feel free to ask .

Jun 29, 2021
Good morning . The pendant for the centerboard will be in the front of the cockpit . There should be a small cleat for tying it off on the bridgedeck . It may be missing . Another way to tell is to step inside the cabin and open the door under the sink . Is there a thick black tube clamped to the inside bottom of the hull ? Remove (with a screwdriver ) the access panel just forward of that door look for the tube .
If you see the tube you have a shoal draft with centerboard configuration . Depending on how well the exterior hull was maintained the centerboard may not drop down easily . It fits fairly snuggly into the slot . It doesn't take much marine growth to prevent it from dropping .
Thank you for that information, and also the information about the motor options.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum J.... Congrats on the sailboat. You have some great water to sail in. As a kid, my dad was stationed at NAS Norfolk. I have great memories of sailing the Chesapeake Bay out of Norfolk.

Enjoy your new to you boat. Get on her and sail often.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
- how can you tell if your O'Day has the adjustable centerboard? Where is the line for this located? I searched all through the cabin and could not find one.
>>You should see a line and a cleat in the front of the cockpit on verticle fiberglass by your shin. As Timm mentioned, sometimes it gets stuck. Last season it took a couple of weeks for mine to drop. I left it down the rest of the season. This year it dropped when it was lifted with the crane

- In the case of my Yamaha outboard, I know it was run hot with a damaged impeller and could potentially have internal damage even though it still runs (we ran it for about 5 seconds just to see if it actually still worked and shut it off). Would an older Yamaha outboard (2006) be worth saving given that it does still run but is no doubt damaged internally to some extent or is it just a better idea to go get a new motor (pricing them out new they seem to be around $1200 for a pull start and $2300~ish for an electric start). I have no idea what the cost would be to have an 8HP outboard rebuilt vs just buying new and having that peace of mind.
>>A 2006 is newer than most outboards. I would try to replace the impeller first. Outboards last for a long time with proper care. I bought a 96 Evinrude for $550, did a little bit of maintenance and it's been very reliable. Make sure it's mounted low enough in the water. If it's not, the prop will come out of the water, you'll experience poor braking and prop walk that will make docking a very difficult task

- If I end up getting a new motor is there any downside to going with a manual crank only outboard other than just the effort it takes vs an electric start motor? Do the electric start motors offer any additions pros other than ease of starting?
>>I never imagined how much more enjoyable of an experience an electric start could be until I got one. It also starts the motor much faster in the event that it dies or you have to avoid something at the last minute. It's come in handy in emergency situations

- Where would the shore power connection generally be located? Mine is inside the cockpit storage locker on the STBD side, is this normal or should it be on the exterior of the cabin area?
>>As far as I know, the O'Day 25 did not come with a shore connection or any 120v wiring from the factory. Starboard vs Port installation is owner preference

A few general notes about the 25
  • Silicone was used to seal everything. I suggest rebedding deck fittings with Bed-It. Silicone fails
  • Check your chainplate sealant and look for any water stains on the bulkheads around the chainplates and mast support. This boat is notorious for leaks and mast falling down due to improper maintenance
  • Don't be surprised if you see water in the bilge. It's not unusual. Do check for screws or holes in the bilge. A previous owner of my boat screwed the bilge pump without properly sealing it and caused a water leak
  • If the wood core of your deck is soaked, you may not notice it as you walk across it, especially if its at the bow
  • It'd be wise to replace your rigging if it's older than 10-15 years (salt vs freshwater) it's probably wise to replace it. D and R marine has lots of parts for our boats. The SBO store also advertises that they can meet or beat standing rigging prices. Give them a call first and help support the forum that's provided endless support to all of us!
  • This is one tough boat! I know of one fellow who was inside it as a hurricane passed by. We've sailed in 25-30mph winds with 3-5ft waves numerous times and it handles it with flying colors. While I'm not trying to encourage you to go out in unsafe conditions or those beyond your skill set, I will say that I have confidence that this boat will get me home

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021
>>You should see a line and a cleat in the front of the cockpit on verticle fiberglass by your shin. As Timm mentioned, sometimes it gets stuck. Last season it took a couple of weeks for mine to drop. I left it down the rest of the season. This year it dropped when it was lifted with the crane
Thank you for all of that information! I took a video of the boat for my wife since she could not be up there with me and managed to see in one of the quick videos this little guy so here is a screen shot. I take it I do in fact have the CB model if this is the line and cleat you are referring to? Excuse the dirty boat....like I said it was free and I just picked it up yesterday, spent maybe an entire hour on it before I had to drive back home!

Screenshot_20210630-160949_Gallery.jpg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Yep, that's the centerboard pendant. I like the setup you have for your traveler sheets. It looks like it'd be easier to release in an emergency than what I have

Jun 29, 2021
Just posting an update, we successfully sailed her home over the course of 3 days from Baltimore to Norfolk. I did not end up having an experienced sailor with me so a buddy of mine and I just did some learning on the fly. I started cleaning up the boat and my family and I are loving every minute of it!

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Bravo! Looks like you got a rare nice boat for free. The main even looks to have a nice shape. Can't see the jib to tell about its shape. Enjoy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats. New boat with an adventure already under her sail. Enjoy the season and the blue fin crabs.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
What a great adventure to begin your sailing life! Boat looks great! Enjoy!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Wow she looks great! That's awesome to hear you had a trouble free adventure on your first sail! If you really want to spruce her up checkout MaineSail's guide on wet sanding. We only loosely followed it and got some really impressive results

Jul 29, 2021
oday 25 Eagle Mountain Lake
Awesome looking boat! I got one just like it a few weeks ago. Doesn't look like it needs much for sure!

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
I have a 77 25 with a centerboard...am assuming you didn't have it out of the water yet. Looking at the picture of the CB pendent, the line going into the bulkhead is loose - this generally means that the board is stuck up in the trunk. The CB weighs about 65 pounds, and will fall down if not stuck. When it IS stuck, the line stays loose. I would check that if you haven't yet.
I'm in Portland Maine, and the marine growth needs to be cleaned out every two years or so at minimum. This is pretty easy to do with a mask and snorkel, even easier diving on it. I put a belly line behind the keel attached to the stanchions, with another 20 foot safety line trailing along the boat side. I made a "sword" about 2 feet long out of 1/8" x 2" stainless steel, drillld a hole for a wrist strap, and can just hang ontdo the strap, hold my breath, and run the sword along the CB in the trunk. It's amazing what comes out of there.

Another thing to look at beside the chain plates is the transom wood. There is a 30x30 3/4" layup of plywood usually glassed in back there on the SB side, and it is prone to rotting.. This is where the motor mount is attached and should be solid. The king plank that mounts the gudgeons should be solid also . If one is gone, the other probably is too. They are bitch to grind out . I've done it twice on two boats, and it is NOT fun, but at least the motor will stay on the boat. It's a respirator , headphone and bunny suit type of job. A full-face mask would be great.

Once cleaned out, you can lay up mat, then 3 layers of 1/4" plywood with mat between. I just drilled holes in the transom for 10-24 bolts where needed to suck the ply layers into the transom profile, then pulled the bolts and filled the holes. It will not be tight unless you do this, OR you can try to grind to fit one sheet of 3/4. This is a two-person job. I put two layers of mat over the whole thing, then drilled the holes for the cable pass throughs, etc.

I posted my second rehab of the transom wood in this site about 2013...

I love mine. It rides really well at anchor, even in high winds . Was on board in a squall once with 50 mph wind,and just sat under the dodger with a cup of tea. Had another blow through 3 years ago with 80 mph winds, and it just pointed right up and did great, while the ketch next to me blew down flat (the owner was on board at the time, and he got tossed around!)

good luck!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
After going through a storm I found the lower gudgeon had broken. I ordered a new, and much improved, one from D and R. When I went to install it I found the king plate was soaked on mine as well. This portion of the boat is under water enough to cause marine growth on it. I found no sealant of any kind when I replaced mine. I also used my old gudeon as a backing plate. Despite being completely waterlogged it survived the latter half of the season

When I installed an outboard on my inboard 25 I used three sheets of 1/2" plywood. I used the motor mount holes in the back of the transom to hold the wood against it and hold the sheets together

I agree with Ritdog that these O'Days handle heavy winds very well. I've sailed in 30-40kts and 5-6' waves. I've never felt unsafe. I know a gentleman that was inside the cabin as a 105mph hurricane passed by. The boat survived with only minor marks and scrapes