Our 2003 C310!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Plans for my 1st solo didn't work out yesterday. RoseLeigh was in need of major cleaning thanks to spring so that took a few hours. Then I fixed the broken oil pressure blade connector, which for a change went fast and easy. I then installed our new winch handle box and set up my captains quick access shelf. It has a brass bell my mom bought us which is fun and just a touch of old school on the 310. I also removed the 13" tube tv mount and installed a flat screen with built in DVD player we had.

Good news is we are ready for Sunday races our first this year so should be a fun time, stay tuned.
Nice upgrades. I have a captain's seat similar to yours, and we also installed a flat screen TV with built in DVD player. I have a digital antenna I can put on the cabin top when we are in our slip. In Boston Harbor, I can get over 24 channels. In our old slip in Florida, I could get one of two channels, depending on which way the antenna was pointing.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Nice upgrades. I have a captain's seat similar to yours, and we also installed a flat screen TV with built in DVD player. I have a digital antenna I can put on the cabin top when we are in our slip. In Boston Harbor, I can get over 24 channels. In our old slip in Florida, I could get one of two channels, depending on which way the antenna was pointing.
Hey Tom I'd love a link to the antenna, I've tried 2 so far with no success.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hey Tom I'd love a link to the antenna, I've tried 2 so far with no success.
I don't know the brand. It was just a cheap antenna from Walmart or Target. It's a rectangular plastic with a square base, and I stick the base between the control lines on the cabin top. The thing about digital is that it is line of sight. If your antenna can't see the transmitter, you won't receive the station. In Boston Harbor, my antenna can "see" a bunch of stations. In Florida, I had to point it north to see Sarasota, or south to see Ft. Myers. Couldn't do both at the same time.
I get a kick out of the adds for these antennas that spout this amazing development of "FREE TV". It has always been free, and it has always been there. Nothing new about it!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks @Tom J I have a couple on my home tvs that work well, but on the boat no joy. I'll keep experimenting.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Well our first race weekend was fun and we learned a lot. Still have tons to learn and it was a good for my daughter and I to have time in RoseLeigh with close quarters with other boats. We finished the first race, and went to start up tbe motor when there was a very loud bang and then electronics went crazy. I checked the motor and saw nothing wrong, checked batteries and showed my 4 GC bank was not reading. Open up compartment and found this.

20210425_133820.jpg

Needless to say i shut all electrical off and called boat us for a tow. It took about 45 min to get to us so we sailed out of the channel and anchored for lunch and Dad had a beer. The tow back was very good and they were very careful with bumpers and not causing any damage. They managed to get us back in our slip in great shape and we were happy RoseLeigh was safe. I'll be attacking the battery removal tomorrow with some large plastic tubs to keep the mess contained and baking soda and towels to mop up the compartment.

We did have a ball and took a ton of pics so here are the action shots.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
We did have a ball and took a ton of pics so here are the action shots.
Great photos! She looks very confident behind the helm!

Scary situation with that battery. I don't envy you the mess you need to clean up. Any early indication why the battery blew?
I have the same batteries in my boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Great photos! She looks very confident behind the helm!

Scary situation with that battery. I don't envy you the mess you need to clean up. Any early indication why the battery blew?
I have the same batteries in my boat.
She did great and was on the helm most of the race.

I wish I knew, I didn't want to mess around in it till I had the right cleaning approach. I'll pull them all out and start new for sure

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Is that the shelf to the right of the helm seat? Looks like a neat idea. I saved the pic and might be copying it.
That is it. I wanted something for all the items you see. This was a fish cleaning shelf mounted on the rail originally.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Nice day sailing! That battery must have shorted out. Let us know what you find.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
If the battery was overcharging it could have been venting hydrogen. Doesn't take much to set it burning. Back in my youth I worked at a plant making lead-acid batteries. We would overcharge them in an explosive chamber to ensure the "burp valves" vented correctly and didn't allow burning gas back in to the battery chamber. Otherwise, you get a blown up battery, which is quite dangerous given the acid contained within. Liberal use of baking soda to neutralize the battery acid distributed about. Good luck.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks to @Ward H got her cleaned up. We chatted about the history of those batteries and they have had some abuse that I'm starting with as the cause. New batteries are ordered and should be installed Thursday or Friday depending on work. Then I'll be doing some checks of the alternator and charger and closely monitored temps and fluid levels.

I did coat everything in baking soda and will shop vac and wash with water when I return to install new batteries. The battery compartment was sealed up so all fluid was contained which was great to find.

Attachments

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Good info.
A smart battery charger with a temperature sensor is a big plus!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
JRT, I'm guessing that you have two battery banks, with 2 GC batteries in each bank. I'm wondering if starting the engine with deep cycles batteries is drawing too much current too quickly from the GC's. I know there have been many discussions about this on the forum, but I never liked the way my Universal started on the original deep cycle 4D's. It turned over slowly before it would finally start. Plus, I hated having only half of my battery storage available at a time, while the other half is saved to start the engine.
Eventually, I installed a start battery and paralleled the house banks. Double the storage and the engine starts quickly.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Good info.
A smart battery charger with a temperature sensor is a big plus!
While talking to John today, I wondered why we have battery temp sensors reporting to shore powered battery chargers and external regulators for alternators but do not have temp gauges to monitor battery temps? I understand the current battery temp sensors help the chargers do their job (temp compensated charging) but why not have temp sensors that alert us to batteries that are exceeding normal battery temps?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Finally got batteries replaced. I ordered all of them the night this happened from Batteries Plus, but the GC are apparently a problem to get right now. They gave no status other then maybe next truck. I had enough on Friday and found 4 230amh from NAPA local and got those Saturday morning instead. Today made it down and started the reinstall. I redid some of the wire runs so all the fills are easy to access. I also added a battery strap around all 4 GC, so they are not shifting or moving now. Finally I plan to add a battery watering system to keep these filled easier.

@Tom J my GC are an entire single bank, my 2nd battery is a 12v starting battery now. I'll start a better routine to use the 12v to start then switch to house bank. Ideally I'm considering changing the alternator to only charge the starter battery, we just day sail and return to our slip to charge.

20210509_115150.jpg

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Finally got batteries replaced. I ordered all of them the night this happened for Batteries Plus, but the GC are apparently a problem to get right now. They gave no status other then maybe next truck. I had enough on Friday and found 4 230amh from NAPA local and got those Saturday morning instead. Today made it down and started the reinstall. I redid some of the wire runs so all the fills are easy to access. I also added a battery strap around all 4 GC, so they are not shifting or moving now. Finally I plan to add a battery watering system to keep these filled easier.

@Tom J my GC are an entire single bank, my 2nd battery is a 12v starting battery now. I'll start a better routine to use the 12v to start then switch to house bank. Ideally I'm considering changing the alternator to only charge the starter battery, we just day sail and return to our slip to charge.

View attachment 193874
Glad to see you are up and running. One suggestion: I would reroute the ground wire for the start battery away from the tops of the GC's. Maybe secure it with zip ties to the forward bulkhead.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@JRT Nice!
That's the ACR to use.
I'll start a better routine to use the 12v to start then switch to house bank.
John, simplify it further. Use your house bank for starting and house loads. Consider your starting battery an "emergency reserve" battery. Save it for use if you accidentally run down the house bank.
No need to remember to switch battery settings after starting and your "emergency reserve" will always be there if needed.